1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Melton on target for TC

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by TrailBlazer, Jun 8, 2014.

1. TrailBlazer

TrailBlazer Well-Known Member

2,946 Messages
    1,069 Likes Received
    http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=dallas-cowboys&id=4729006

There isn’t a rush right now to get Cowboys defensive tackle Henry Melton on the field.

[IMG]
    Melton

Training camp isn’t tomorrow and the first practice doesn’t begin until July 24.
    The season won’t sneak up on anybody so while Melton does his rehab from a torn ACL, everything is on schedule.
    Melton said his knee is doing fine and he expects to be ready for that first practice in late July.

“I think you’ve got to be smart about guys like that,” Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said. “Obviously Henry’s a pro. He’s been to the Pro Bowl. He knows how to play the game. He’s also coming off a significant injury. I think everything our doctors say is he’s right on time.”

Melton reached the Pro Bowl in 2012 after compiling six sacks, third most in the NFL for defensive linemen, and causing all sorts of havoc. In a two-year stretch, Melton had 13 sacks in 29 games. Only Cincinnati’s Geno Atkins(20 sacks in 32 games) had more.

The Cowboys, who will miss DeMarcus Ware(released and signed with Denver) and Jason Hatcher (free agent who signed with Washington), need a pass-rush presence.

Melton won’t be alone. George Selvie, Nick Hayden, DeMarcus Lawrence among others will contribute to the cause.

However, the Cowboys are looking for the Melton who reached the Pro Bowl in 2012.

After that Pro Bowl season, the expectations increased and he participated in just three games last season before the injury.

How he returns will dictate a lot for the Cowboys' defense and Melton’s future.
    “Every week I get stronger and better,” Melton said. “We’re just focusing on getting my knee as strong as possible and aiming for preseason and all that. I feel like I could go out there and do some things during these OTAs. It’s something we talked about before. [But] we’re going to focus on training camp and get ready for the season.”
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

14,683 Messages
    6,512 Likes Received
    There were reports that he participated in some drills but not in team period.
  3. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Well-Known Member

1,034 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    Not only were there reports, but he was seen in numerous pics as well with his gear on at work stations. Like I believe he said, he could've done more but they are doing the right thing and waiting until TC for full go.
  4. guag

guag Right Kind of Guy

6,975 Messages
    1,506 Likes Received
    YOU DON'T SAY!!!!??? I thought Melton was going to be the entirety of our defensive line this season. Thank God there will be others.
    djmajestik and dogunwo like this.
  5. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

52,467 Messages
    6,171 Likes Received
    As a Cowboy fan that has to get you excited. Our defense really needs a big injection of that type of player again. Watching last years pass rush was very painful.
    guag likes this.
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

23,363 Messages
    10,836 Likes Received
    Last year's pass rush featured a DT who had more sacks for the season than Melton has ever had.
  7. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Well-Known Member

1,034 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    True RS. HOWEVER, from watching both Melton and Hatcher in their respective Pro-Bowl years, I see 2 different players. Hatcher is an excellent pass-rusher, but only ok versus the run. The times I usually saw Hatch in the backfield were mostly passing downs. Melton on the other hand was just as likely to be in the backfield in running downs as well as passing downs. I'm not knocking Hatch at all (wish he was still here), but Melton seemed to be the better all-around DT. Just my opinion.
    guag and big dog cowboy like this.
  8. big dog cowboy

52,467 Messages
    6,171 Likes Received
    So watching last years pass rush wasn't painful to you? All I'm saying is we need pass rushers and guys that have proven results like Melton put up are exciting additions.
    starfrombirth likes this.
  9. Risen Star

23,363 Messages
    10,836 Likes Received
    Even if that's true, and I chalk that up to fan spin, what does that have to do with the topic of pass rush? The comment I responded to was that the Cowboys needed an injection of that kind of player again and that last year's pass rush was painful to watch. Well last year we had a DT who was more prolific at getting to the QB than Melton has ever been. So I fail to see how Melton is going to change the painful pass rush of last year.
    guag, dwight and AmericasTeam81 like this.
  10. big dog cowboy

52,467 Messages
    6,171 Likes Received
    I'm shocked.
    guag, Nunez21, djmajestik and 3 others like this.
  11. Risen Star

23,363 Messages
    10,836 Likes Received
    I laid out the logic. Those that are reasonable will nod in agreement.
  12. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    2,643 Likes Received
    This defense was built from the corner back position. Unless you have a pass rush that can get there, corner backs, and even exceptional corner backs are pointless.

If the QB can hold the ball long enough, then the receivers will break free, if for no other reason than the rules give them the advantage.

So unless this defense shows something it did not last year, how will there not be more of the same?

There are truths about this game.

A team needs solid and consistent quarterback play. A defense needs a pass rush to disrupt an offense's timing. A defense needs to have a strong middle to stop the run.

These things do not change. At this juncture the Dallas defense doesn't seem to have changed either.
    Risen Star likes this.
  13. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

40,016 Messages
    4,970 Likes Received
    Not necessarily will all those whom are reasonable nod in agreement. There is a good chance the pass rush will be better this year.
    roughneck266 and djmajestik like this.
  14. Risen Star

23,363 Messages
    10,836 Likes Received
    Not from replacing Hatcher with Melton. Which is the discussion.
    jnday and 38 Special like this.
  15. brooksey1

brooksey1 Well-Known Member

1,685 Messages
    616 Likes Received
    It's pretty simple, Melton just needs to show up when it counts, like in a game to get into the playoffs. Hatcher had great numbers but he disappeard down the stretch.
  16. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

2,712 Messages
    607 Likes Received
    Hatcher has had one season with more than 4.5 sacks, so lets not get too excited about his one year production. Melton is still coming into his prime so hard to compare the two. The fact is that we will also have a better rotation of guys than we had a year ago. I expect significantly higher team sack production than we had a year ago.
  17. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

40,016 Messages
    4,970 Likes Received
    There's zero way for you to know that which is why I made it a possibility and not a fact. Hatcher got 1 to 4.5 sacks in seven years then 11 last year. I'd been saying since year 2 or 3 Hatcher was a player who stayed hurt and it held him down. But he never once had more than 4.5 sacks in a year.

So for you to pretend you KNOW he would be the same player here he was once in eight years is a stretch to be nice. That doesn't mean Melton will put up big numbers either but his last two years he had 7 and 6 sacks. Last year he was hurt. Before last year Hatcher put together 4 and 4.5 sack years. I love Hatcher but my money would be on Melton.

None of them play in a vacuum so the entire rush is important.
    djmajestik likes this.
  18. 38 Special

38 Special Member

41 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I thought this discussion was about replacing last year's production, not a lifetime achievement debate between the two.

Look, I like Melton better than Hatcher as a player moving forward on our roster. I just think that this does not provide a step change in production over last year's weak overall result.
    dwight likes this.
  19. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,479 Messages
    594 Likes Received
    Oh come on, are we just going to stay on stats and let them do the thinkinig? hatcher had how many good years? Melton comes from a good defense with a good defensive mind, which brings a little more to the table than hatcher right now. Stats arent the only story and lets see how Hatcher does when offensive lines arent concerned with a Ware on the other side? Melton had good players around him but he knows his job and he knows it well. Lets see how see performs on the field before we say "okay, this was not the turn around we had hoped for"
  20. Risen Star

23,363 Messages
    10,836 Likes Received
    Follow me here.

The guy said last year's pass rush was painful to watch and he welcomes the kind of player Melton is to hopefully change that.

Well last year featured a DT who Melton is replacing that had more sacks in a season than Melton has ever had.

So unless Henry Melton is going to dwarf Hatcher's 2013 stats I don't see how he's going to change that "painful" pass rush.

That's what I'm saying.
    McLovin likes this.