1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Melton on target for TC

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by TrailBlazer, Jun 8, 2014.

1. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,611 Messages
    2,002 Likes Received
    I'm not counting on Melton single handedly making up for the loss of both Ware and Hatcher,but that is irrelevant.
    I think this years dline will have more sacks than last years in total.
    That is all that matters.
  2. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,580 Messages
    3,332 Likes Received
    And if Hatcher were here instead of Melton it is unlikely he would put up 11 sacks when previously his best was 4.5 sacks in a year. Melton will probably have between 6-10 sacks IMO based on his progression over the years. 8 seems more likely but that is halfway between 6 and 10; given his last two playing years were 6 and 7 sacks.

Let's assume its a wash although I'm saying Melton should be better on average than Hatcher was on average. I expect Lawrence and/or Selvie to equal Ware's numbers although one can argue against that. I think Crawford and Bass and McClain will surpass last years' output from the other DL. If Spencer plays add a bit more.

There is overall more talent dismissing Ware as injured and more depth. The DL will be better this year. The real question is how much better and how much difference will it make.
    guag likes this.
  3. dogunwo

dogunwo Waves that make you sea-sick

5,371 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    Pass rush is more than sacks. Its also batted balls, hurries, knockdowns, forced bad throws, etc.
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,496 Messages
    5,235 Likes Received
    Whatever. We're fortunate to have signed Hatcher affordably. He's a legitimate replacement for a very good player we lost. And, yes, incremental pressure will likely have to come from other positions this year. Notably from Carter and Lawrence.
  5. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,783 Messages
    7,146 Likes Received
    So I'm still losing you, eh?

I don't know how Melton improves on what Hatcher did in 2013 and if he doesn't then he doesn't improve the pass rush from last year.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
  6. jobberone

36,580 Messages
    3,332 Likes Received
    It's not important what Hatcher did in 2013 because Hatcher isn't here anymore. Melton is along with the rest. They are the ones to rush the passer this year. You think I'm lost because you are. Your logic is faulty.
  7. Risen Star

20,783 Messages
    7,146 Likes Received
    But it is important to the comment I responded to.

It doesn't take a genius to figure this out. If you tell me you welcome the kind of player Melton is because last year's pass rush was painful to watch, and he's replacing a guy who last year had more sacks than Melton's ever had, well...you're not making any sense.

Where am I losing you? Pretend its the Redskins and you'll see my obvious and correct point.
  8. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

1,904 Messages
    592 Likes Received
    It's also fair to note that Hatcher didn't play in a four man front until last year. His 4 and 4.5 sacks years came as a 3-4 DE, where the pass rush numbers, Bruce Smith and Leonard Marshall aside, are generally not plentiful.

It's also relevant to note that Hatcher had a more productive season in the same scheme that Melton had 6 and 7 sack seasons in. A far more productive season, in fact.

Melton will also be coming off of a torn ACL, and it remains to be seen how explosive he will be one year removed from surgery.
    jobberone likes this.
  9. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,018 Messages
    1,532 Likes Received
    All of which is expected of the 2014 version of the defensive line that (fingers crossed) will include a healthy Melton but you may have lost me. lol.
    dogunwo likes this.
  10. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,855 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    I'm hoping we get pass pressure all along the defensive front ... not just from 1 spot.
  11. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,405 Messages
    1,320 Likes Received
    Actually, Hatcher has almost as many sacks last year as Melton has had in his entire career.
    Risen Star likes this.
  12. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,855 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    That's not the entirety of the arguement. That's just what you narrowed it down to. The entire statement took into consideration Melton along with Selvie and others along the defensive line to help create consistent pressure (Not necessarily sacks). And the crux being the belief that Melton brings more consistent disruption than Hatcher. In my opinion, Hatcher disappeared for long stretches. Melton seems to create pressure even if he didn't necessarily get there all the time.
    DallasEast and big dog cowboy like this.
  13. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    You comments are right on the money. Melton has never had a season that was as productive as Hatcher's last season as a Cowboy. The truth about it is that Melton is the only proven DL on this years DL. He may have trouble returning to form after his injury. The rest if the DL is questionable at best. There is not bone single player in that group that is proven in any way. All they have to offer is hope. As bad as the DL was last year, it could be much worse this year. I expected many more upgrades during the draft, but things didn't fall that way. It is too late now and it is a wait and see gamble that they hope pays off.
    Risen Star likes this.
  14. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,276 Messages
    3,595 Likes Received
    I'm on board with this also.
  15. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,276 Messages
    3,595 Likes Received
    It wasn't that hard to figure out was it?
    starfrombirth likes this.
  16. Risen Star

20,783 Messages
    7,146 Likes Received
    Its entirely what I responded to. Other people moved the goal posts.
  17. Risen Star

20,783 Messages
    7,146 Likes Received
    You have to hope Crawford is impactful on the pass rush. That would be an area we can improve this year.
  18. jobberone

36,580 Messages
    3,332 Likes Received
    I never said last year's pass rush was painful. That was another member so you're confused who said what. What Hatcher did last year is irrelevant since he's not here. However last year he had 7 more sacks than he's ever produced in the previous 7 seasons. I call that nice since he played here but aberrant. Melton on the other had is good for 6-7 sacks so my guess is we have a net gain unless Hatcher puts up double digits again and Melton doesn't. It's all speculation even if based on past performances anyway. So no need to think we're dealing with hard numbers here.

I'm not interested in Hatcher anymore since he can't rush for us. What's hard to understand about that? He could have gotten 30 sacks last year and it would still be irrelevant and still speculative even if he were here. Yes, you are saying we are comparing last years production with some imaginary production this year for which Hatcher is not a part of now.

My guess is Melton is at least a wash esp if you count hurries, knock downs, sacks, batted balls, and pressures if you count that separately which I don't. I suspect we will get more from Melton. More from the WDE. More from the SDE and more from the 1/3. We also have much improved depth esp if Spencer plays. The LBers and DBs should provide more rush, too.

So I'm predicting the rush this year will be much better than last year. Not sure what's difficult about that?
  19. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,634 Messages
    2,423 Likes Received
    Any improvement in the pass rush will come from eliminating those players that contributed 5 sacks in 2,000+ snaps.

That's just a god-awful percentage.
    jobberone likes this.
  20. Risen Star

20,783 Messages
    7,146 Likes Received
    What's difficult about it is you jumped into a discussion, changed the topic and then acted like I originally responded to you.

I responded to the notion that Melton would improve our pass rush. Not that other factors would. The pass rush that was so painful to watch last year featured a DT with 11 sacks on the season. You replaced him with someone whose never gotten close to that number. So color me confused why anyone would be welcoming that kind of player as if he's going to make a difference.