1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Melton on target for TC

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by TrailBlazer, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

25,577 Messages
    13,575 Likes Received
    Right. And not Henry Melton.

We're making progress.
  2. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,512 Messages
    1,410 Likes Received
    Hope so, but he sure has to show it. As of now , the whole group is hopes end prayers.
  3. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

5,114 Messages
    2,312 Likes Received
    I'm a little late to the party but I was following what you were saying earlier. I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents and say that I knew what you were saying and I agree with you. Someone was saying Melton would help us improve over last year's defensive line. You were asking how that's possible when Melton has never had a season like Hatcher had last year. People were saying Hatcher wouldn't duplicate what he did last year.

Now that we're all caught up...

What Hatcher may or may not do this year is irrelevant. The point is, not only is Melton himself a question mark coming off significant injury, but even in his prime he never had a season like Hatcher did last year. So, it's extremely likely that Melton will be a downgrade from a year ago. So that's 1 of 4 positions that got worse. Selvie versus himself from last year is a wash. Also, everyone seems so sure that the new Demarcus will be an upgrade of the old one from last year. Although Ware had an awful year according to his standards, it would've been a pretty good year for any rookie. So there's no guarantee that Lawrence will be any better this year. We did manage to strengthen the 1-tech DT position, but that's probably the least important position on the line. Really, the only thing we have this year that we didn't have last year is a healthy Crawford (for now).
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

25,577 Messages
    13,575 Likes Received
    I'd rather have Melton at this point because of age. I'm not dissing that signing at all.

Agreed. Crawford is the real wild card this year that could impact the DL. Melton can be a decent replacement for Hatcher. Lawrence can maybe replace Ware's down season last year. None of this improves the pass rush this year. But if Crawford is the player Jason Hatcher says he is, that would be a significant improvement. We didn't have that last year.

Long term, I like the moves we've made there in the draft. I'd have liked to have done more, but I'll take what I can get. Lawrence is a natural weakside edge rusher. Bishop and Gardner can probably be better backups than what we had. If Crawford's legit, you have some pieces in place to hopefully add to next offseason.

The offensive line has become a strength of the team. The defensive line has a chance to be within two years. Add in a head coach with authority and we can be a real contender again.

But at that point we might need a QB. Well, bleep.
  5. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

5,114 Messages
    2,312 Likes Received
    I agree. I'd take Melton this season over Hatcher this season because of age and contract. So that was a move in the right direction. So was releasing Ware. But just because they were the right moves doesn't mean they'll make us improve this season. That's what people don't understand. We might be worse this year without Hatcher and Ware, but it was still the right move to let them go. And I love the Lawrence pick, but I also don't expect much from a rookie.
  6. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

41,403 Messages
    5,710 Likes Received
    Fair enough and I would agree although you still can't predict his sack totals based on that one year. And I love the player. We're hung up on sacks and I'm much more interested in applying persistent and consistent pressure; and that includes more than just sacks...a lot more.
  7. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

41,403 Messages
    5,710 Likes Received
    Someone mentioned Crawford. Don't forget Bass.