1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Merry Mockmas

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by casmith07, Dec 24, 2010.

1. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,066 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    Off-Season Moves:

Released/No Longer On Roster:
    - Barber, M.
    - Davis, L.
    - Colombo, M.

Draft:

1 - Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin: immediate starter either at LT or RT, dependent upon who performs best at either position between him or Free. Two Pro Bowl caliber anchors at the tackle positions for the next 8 years.
    Alternate: Nate Solder, OT, Colorado. Finalist for the Outland Trophy, lost to Carimi.

2 - Kenny Tate, S, Maryland: once again, another immediate starter at the safety position. Smooth player that is instinctual and not afraid to hit. Very similar to Barry Church with more "big school" experience. Allows us to move Alan Ball back to CB/ST Gunner and gives us potential starters at S for the future in Tate and Church.
    Alternate: Deunta Williams, S, UNC; Rahim Moore, S, UCLA

3 - LaMichael James, RB, Oregon: he does one thing, and he does it well - runs really fast. Reminds me a bit of Chris Johnson coming out...smaller program, doubts about his ability to change directions, etc. LaMichael James has it, folks. Open competition between he and Choice for the 2nd RB role. Would provide a perfect compliment to either Choice or Felix, and could be dangerous in the receiving game as well as the return game.
    Alternate: JacQuizz Rodgers, RB, Oregon State -- a little slower, but more of a battering ram like Maurice Jones-Drew

4 - Greg McElroy, QB, Alabama: either rises to the 53 to learn behind Kitna and Romo, or goes to the practice squad to get reps while the Cowboys still see what they have in McGee. Family has ties to the front office...I think this pick is probably the most sure pick of the Cowboys 2011 draft.
    Alternate: Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State

5, 6, 7 -- I think we go OL, DL, and ILB. I don't know enough about the later round players, so I won't make any guesses here, but I could also see us taking a kicker late.
  2. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I love you !! That would make it for me. I have a strong man crush for that guy. He's going to be incredible. Thing is, I don't think he'll be there in the 2nd. But if he is ohhh man!! He's a huge Cowboys fan to which is an added bonus.
  3. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,066 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    I think he'll be there in the 2nd. Someone might surprise and take him in the first, but if they do that means that picking around #10 in the second round we'll be perfectly lined up for Rahim Moore.

I think we will trade down from our pick, though, and acquire a late round pick in the first. Sets up perfectly for Carimi/Tate in the first round.
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,144 Messages
    1,127 Likes Received
    1) Too high for where they will be drafting, if they stay 8-10 they will go D Line or secondary, maybe Quinn from NC.

2) Those extra tall guys never seem to cover well enough at the NFL level, safeties have to be more corner than safety these days.

3) This guy I like but I think he goes a buck ninety, not big enough for an every down back.

4) Doubt they go QB here, more like OL. Dont know about McElroy, if I were going to take a flyer on a QB it would be Kaepernick from Nevada.
  5. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,856 Messages
    880 Likes Received
    I dunno. If this is assuming we stay put then I think almost all these picks are reaches. Tate is the new hotness, I don't know much about him but he seems to be all the rage right now. I don't think you take a RT that high and spending another 4th on QB is a bit of a waste.

I like the players, just not necessarily for us and not necessarily where they are taken.
  6. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,942 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    Kenny Tate is a SS
  7. gmoney112

gmoney112 Well-Known Member

3,011 Messages
    331 Likes Received
    Like the first two picks, mainly because I think we'll trade town in the first. End of the first is a nice spot to pick up Carimi.

Don't like the 3rd and 4th round picks. Would rather pick up another OL and a decent front 7 defensive prospect.
  8. danielofthesaints

danielofthesaints Well-Known Member

1,047 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    casmith, i may be missing something here but i thought lamichael james is finishing up his second year this year and in order to be eligible for the draft they would have to wait the duration of three college football seasons after their high school graduation to declare for the draft. can someone verify this?
  9. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,614 Messages
    488 Likes Received

He's a redshirt sophomore. He can declare for the draft.
  10. danielofthesaints

danielofthesaints Well-Known Member

1,047 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    gotcha.
  11. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,844 Messages
    70 Likes Received