1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Meshugga Mock?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by BAT, Apr 15, 2012.

1. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,245 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    Definition of insanity, right? But I love my first 3 picks. If Silatolu not there at 45, Irvin has to be the pick. Even over Konz. Then draft the bigger more athletic OG, Brandon Brooks, with 81.

1st (14) - Quinton Coples, DE, North Carlonia, 6'6 285 4.78
    *Butch had Jerry & Jason's ear w/Bruce Carter & Coples is better

2nd (45) - Aminu Silatolu, OG, Midwestern State, 6'4 315 5.34
    *Could be best OL in entire draft

3rd (81) - Bruce Irvin, OLB, West Virginia, 6'3 245 4.49
    *Cowboys may have to trade up to make this happen

4th (113) - Brandin Hardin, FS/CB, Oregon State, 6'3 220 4.43
    *Prefer Markelle Martin (likely not available) but Hardin is bigger & faster

4th (135) - Taylor Thompson, TE/OLB, Southern Methodist, 6'6 260 4.57
    *2 for 1 player, good pass rusher but may be an even better TE - on Cowboys radar

5th (152) - T.Y. Hilton, KR/Slot, Florida International, 5'11 190 4.37
    *Not just a speed merchant, good hands & productive to boot

6th (186) - Chris Greenwood, CB, Albion, 6'1 195 4.34
    *Jerome Henderson loves this guy

7th (222) - Chandler Burden, OT/OG, Kentucky, 6'4 315 4.95
    *Brings nastiness of D player (converted DL) & can play inside or outside
  2. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,284 Messages
    685 Likes Received
    bruce carter didnt have any character issues..note that the cowboys didnt draft any of the other knuckleheads on the heels roster
  3. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,245 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    Cowboys don't have any problems drafting "knuckleheads" if there is value. Coples is a top 10 talent and if he is there at 14 then Cowboys will pounce. Just like when Cowboys pounced all over Dez Bryant.

Bryant dropped because of character concerns as well.
  4. GloryDaysRBack

9,284 Messages
    685 Likes Received
    i think those days are over..and Dez doesnt have on field/motivational issues
  5. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,415 Messages
    1,621 Likes Received
    Bingo.
  6. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,245 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    Neither does Coples, according to Butch Davis. Butch's opinion holds more weight with Jerry than the pundits and fans IMO.
  7. GloryDaysRBack

9,284 Messages
    685 Likes Received
    Show me where butch Davis has given his stamp of approval for Coples
  8. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,245 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    Its on the front page of the draftzone. Source is drafttek. But you could probably locate the original source by doing a google search.
  9. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,452 Messages
    1,262 Likes Received

Sign me up...you had me at Coples, but Amini is one of my pet cats and Irvin would be incredible value in the 3rd round...the rest would be good holes fillers
  10. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,621 Messages
    3,346 Likes Received
    I like it.
  11. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,461 Messages
    354 Likes Received
    great draft talk about getting some passrush. Bruce irvin and coples are two of the best passrushers in this draft. If you add in chapman(NT) or another NT in the 4th or 5th then this draft would be great. I rather not waste on a 4th round project get me guys that can play. I tired of the stanbacks, AOA and etc. Give me a trench warrior tough SOB in chapman if he is still there with our 1st or 2nd 4th rounder. Then talk about upgrading our defense. Chapman might can start sooner rather than later if he is good medically.
  12. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,351 Messages
    1,989 Likes Received
    a couple of years back i heard jimmy talking about cowboys, the draft, etc and he said something that was very telling

he was talking about the strengths and weaknesses of the 90s cowboys and conversation came to the coaches on that team

jimmy was all praise for Butch as a defensive mind/coach but he said (and i am paraphrasing) that the one thing you have to be careful with Butch is that he loves his players and way way over-rates them so as the HC he would have to discount much of what Butch was saying about how good which player was.

just food for thought
  13. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,184 Messages
    455 Likes Received
    Coples is garbage as a person. Lazy and not motivated. No way we touch him.

Would love to get Silatolu, but rumor has it that Steelers may take him in the 1st. Don't think he makes it to 45.

No way I spend a 4th on a defensive player and try and make him a TE.
  14. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,051 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    I like it, unless Cox is on the board at 14. I'd take him over Coples. Also wouldn't trade up to get Irvin; I think we will need all of our picks. Should probably go CB in 3rd and grab a center next if the talent is there.
  15. Rockytop6

Rockytop6 Well-Known Member

2,072 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    I didn't know Coples had character (drugs, immorality, attitude, etc,) concerns, but that he is not dependable on the field. He has ability and potential but he doesn't have production. I want somebody dependable when I go to war. It is like the old saying that a "man who won't read is no better off than one who can't read." A man who won't use his God given talents is no better off than a person who don't have those abilities - on the field.

Coples is probably the most talented non skill position player in the draft. Yet his production is barely above average according to what I read. I'll take the person with a little less ability who has the tenacity and determination where he will not be denied and will not be defeated over the entitlement people any day.
  16. Rockytop6

Rockytop6 Well-Known Member

2,072 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Yet when Bryant was on the field he gave 110%. Coples doesn't.
  17. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Charlie Casserly says Coples was misused by his new coaching staff. They tried to use him head up on the tackle and read and react. He thinks Coples is more of a penetrating type player that can disrupt. He said he didnt think Coples was a top 10 player but that he liked him.
  18. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,557 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    Well, at least you gave him a shot before deciding, anyway.

I will say, he sounds either slow or drugged out in the few interviews I've heard from him. Pretty strange cat.

EDIT: Here's a Coples video from another thread.
  19. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,245 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    The guy put up more than 17 sacks in 2 seasons under 2 different coaches, 2 different defenses and at 2 very different positions.

Can u imagine what he can do with a coach who knows how use him? :D y
  20. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,245 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    Thompson also had 8 sacks as a 4-3 DE. He has the athleticism to play 3-4 MLB so win win.