1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mexico sends troops to US border

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Jon88, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,666 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    [IMG]

MEXICO CITY, Mexico (CNN) -- The Mexican government has ordered 2,000 troops to the U.S.-Mexico border in response to a wave of drug-related violence that is blamed for 200 deaths since January, officials announced Thursday.

Mexico has ordered troops to move near Juarez, shown here with El Paso, Texas, in the distance.

The troops are expected to depart Friday. The majority will be near the northern border of Mexico, in Juarez.

Juarez sits across the Rio Grande from El Paso, Texas.

Officials said the violence in Mexico has increased in large part to competing drug cartels.

"In this battle we will show that no criminal group is capable to resist the strength of the Mexican government," Interior Minister Juan Mourino said at a news conference Thursday.

Defense Secretary Guillermo Galvan said 2,026 soldiers, 180 military tactical vehicles, three airplanes and more than a dozen drug detection devices would be employed in the military operation.

"Violence, and this needs to be stressed, generates organized crime of drug trafficking," said Mexican Attorney General Medina Mora. "It's not in any way a sign of strength, but a sign of weakness, deterioration and decomposition." E-mail to a friend

CNN en Espanol's Ariel Crespo contributed to this report.
  2. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,846 Messages
    611 Likes Received
    :lmao:

Really?

Mexico sent their Army to quell the violence?

Talk about using gasoline to put out a fire .......
  3. Marty R

Marty R Member

63 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    alrighty then
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,442 Messages
    3,709 Likes Received
    So are they stopping themselves.:D
  5. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's ok, the fire gets put out crossing the Rio Grande. :D
  6. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    More like set it on fire. Have you ever seen the Rio Grande? :laugh2:
  7. PosterChild

PosterChild New Member

2,027 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Is it hot there?
  8. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yea, my Father used to live on the Las Cruces side of El Paso and we used to have friends in Brownsville. Matamorez and Juarez are ugly cities. And the Rio Grande ain't that purty either.
  9. Chief

Chief "Friggin Joke Monkey"

8,541 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yep, this isn't exactly Santa Anna's dominating force moving northward.

I doubt there's a lot of confidence in this rag-tag group of federales around here. These guys are supposed to be some sort of "special" soliders trained to deal with this.

I just know that the lines between good and evil are especially blurred south of the border. I know people that are scared to death of the "police" down there.
  10. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,492 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    I don't mean to alarm anyone by reporting this. I work not far from the National Guard Armory here in Tucson.

A whole convoy of them went on alert this morning. Probably just a precaution, but I'd be willing to bet you Ft. Huachuca south of me in Sierra Vista is on full alert.
  11. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    what exactly is their purpose there? and only 2000 troops? 2 planes and some remote missles and that's not a problem.

maybe we should have built the wall, huh? that would stop 'em! : )
  12. Bach

Bach Benched

7,645 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Looks like we'll be having about 2,000 illegals over here any day now.
  13. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,177 Messages
    1,212 Likes Received
    armed and ready to go. : )
  14. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Nope you need a parka year round :D
  15. Yeagermeister

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    If I had re-enlisted my training would have been there.
  16. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,666 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Holding Americans and other tourists at gun point and taking their money will do that.
  17. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,492 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    There are some simple ways never to have issues in Mexico. First of all, don't be disrespectful or "Ugly Americans." Leave that snobbish crap to the French. Enjoy their country, I mean genuinely enjoy it. They appreciate that.

If you can, get a badge and have it in your wallet. I'm not joking. If you have that, there will be no issues. I have my Fireman's badge with me at all times when I go to Mexico. Even though I'm not a fireman any more.

Mostly don't be an "Ugly American."
  18. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,666 Messages
    0 Likes Received

My computer crashed and I had to speak to someone in India to get it fixed. There's no telling how many times those people get chewed out or yelled at when that does absolutely no good but make us look bad.
  19. DA FAN

DA FAN Active Member

1,081 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Didn't you hear?

They are there because they heard that El Senor Antonio Romo was getting married and he was going to El Paso for his Honeymoon. They are all after there to get his autograph and to take a picture with La Huera Mrs. Antonio Jessica Romo.

hehehe
  20. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,019 Messages
    137 Likes Received

I drove down to central Mexico last year, and there was a noticeable difference in Army checkpoints and the Federal Police checkpoints. The Army guys were more professional, and also much more friendly. Got in to several good discussions with them (and having a military background will definitely help). The Federal Police were a lot more surly and the occaisional federale gave you the impression that were you there on a dark night alone, things would go very badly.

Talking about my friends who have immigrated to Mexico and are raising families there usually breaks the ice pretty well for me. The badge thing is interesting, but I can see it. I had a friend who travelled Africa years ago, and one of his best 'smoothers of the way' was a letter of introduction from Senator Lloyd Bentson. He would flash that fancy letterhead at border crossings and smooth sailing commenced. Not going to work as well in Mexico, but....

And it certainly does help us everywhere not to be an 'Ugly American'.