1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Michael Steele becomes first black RNC chairman

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 30, 2009.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,204 Messages
    5,759 Likes Received
    WASHINGTON – Michael Steele was elected Republican National Committee chairman on Friday, defeating the incumbent party chief and three other challengers over six rounds of voting to become the first black to lead the GOP. The former Maryland lieutenant governor takes over a beleaguered GOP as Republicans seek to rebound from back-to-back defeats in national elections that gave Democrats control of Congress and the White House.

"As a little boy growing up in this town, this is awesome," said Steele, the most moderate candidate in the field and considered an outsider because he's not a committee member.

In a brief acceptance speech, the new GOP chairman struck a tone of inclusiveness.

"We're going to say to friend and foe alike: We want you to be a part of us, we want you to with be with us, and for those who wish to obstruct, get ready to get knocked over," Steele said.

He won 91 votes out of a possible 168 in the sixth round. A simple majority of 85 was needed, but it took six rounds for Steele to win.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090130/ap_on_el_ge/republicans
  2. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Add some funk to the bump and pretend the last 8 years didn't happen.

When you are down and out, you might as well go long.
  3. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,923 Messages
    1,796 Likes Received
    Yep. Took this one out of the Democratic Playbook. Same strategy they used after the 2004 election.
  4. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I disagree.
    If you don't know him you have not been paying attention.
    Of course he will be demonized by the drive by media and painted as a GOP black response to the Uh-bama joke.
  5. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    After Newt, who decided not to run, Steele was my top choice.

I'm glad he won and wish him the best.
  6. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,003 Messages
    720 Likes Received
    Good man ....... glad he got it.
  7. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    See?...there is a reason VCD ignores us both....we make sense.
  8. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,303 Messages
    3,034 Likes Received
    After the election even many Republicans said we can't be the party of the old white man the party has to be more inclusive as well as standing firm on conservative principals. I have listened to interviews with Michael Steele and I think he will make a very good chairman for the RNC.
  9. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,923 Messages
    1,796 Likes Received
    I honestly don't care if our leadership is Black, White, Taupe or Indigo. So long as the choosen color leads us back to our traditional Conservative values, that's fine with me. I don't care if we never win another election. I do care that the Party stands for what it's supposed to stand for, as opposed to being Democrat Lite.
  10. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,303 Messages
    3,034 Likes Received
    I agree I don't care what color he is as much as the principals he stands for. As for the race to an extent it is important that the party is more than just old white guys which is what most of the top leaders of the party have been.
  11. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,926 Messages
    211 Likes Received
    Congrats to him. I was expecting Duncan to get it.
  12. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,003 Messages
    720 Likes Received
    Or because we are both jerks ....... either way I am happy.
  13. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,926 Messages
    2,154 Likes Received
    I've always liked Steele. He's a very logical, no nonsense, kind of guy.

As far as race...irrelevant and not at all ground breaking for the GOP assuming anyone has looked at the core players for the last 8 years.
  14. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    That's because you are not paying attention.
  15. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Great choice. He was my top pick (after Newt of course). He is a good man and a solid pick by the Republican party. Now maybe we can get back to what made this party the party of conservatism.
  16. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm happy for him, but his race is the least interesting part of the story. He'll have a tough time convincing moderates and independents that the GOP is the party of austerity after Bush "pre-socialized" the economy for Obama.
  17. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    After Uhbama destroys whats left of the economy,it will be easy to pry power from him and the dems.
    Sole reason NO Republican is voting for his stupid spending plan.
  18. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,953 Messages
    4,302 Likes Received
    He seems like a pretty good guy from the times I have seen him make appearances on various fox news shows. I am glad they did not pick that saltzman (sp?) guy. As someone else mentioned...I kind of thought maybe duncan would get it as he seems to be more of a hardcore conservative compared to Steele. I also think it is a good choice for the GOP, no matter how some may act like it means nothing, because it sends a message to voters who are not white. Now will the message work or not is another story but I imagine that did play into it somewhat.

Either way...good guy and congrats to him.

On a side note, I wonder who (political hack whether an actual politician or political talking mouth) will call him some names like uncle tom or something now.
  19. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,953 Messages
    4,302 Likes Received
    Fixed that for you. Just don't be shocked when push comes to shove and some republicans wind up voting for it. They knew that first vote was a throw away so it made no difference.
  20. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received

One can only hype...i mean hope.