1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Michael Vick "revolutionized" NFL football; do we have past Cowboys who did the same?

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by GimmeTheBall!, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

5,463 Messages
    587 Likes Received
    Haven't read the entire thread. But #26, Preston Pearson, was the original 3rd down back out of the backfield. To me, that was kind of revolutionary.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,471 Messages
    3,796 Likes Received
    Can't say 100% but to my knowledge Pearson may have been the 1st true baseketball player to play in the NFL. Pearson never played college football, he was a basketball player for the University of Illinois.
  3. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,917 Messages
    1,505 Likes Received
    Cornell Green
    landroverking likes this.
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,471 Messages
    3,796 Likes Received
    Very good, 5 years before Preston Person. Now I have more meanlingless information in my head. Thank you. lol
  5. the_h0wey

the_h0wey Well-Known Member

1,086 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    Still a poor mans Pittman4two
  6. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,247 Messages
    1,407 Likes Received
    Gimme'...Happy 4th, friend.
  7. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

10,211 Messages
    1,698 Likes Received
    Jerry Jones
  8. 2much2soon

2much2soon Active Member

2,447 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    The Oakland Raiders of the '60s, '70s, and early '80s are chuckling about this.
    bark likes this.
  9. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke Fierce Allegiance

5,429 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    Rayfield Wright - Fort Valley State

Excerpt from his book-
    Wright Up Front

In September 1966 (my junior year in college), my athletic aptitude brought me to a significant place. On the court, I was averaging 28 points in scoring and 21 rebounds per game. Professional scouts began talking with Coach Lomax about my abilities and a future in basketball. One of the most intriguing scouts was from the Cincinnati Royals, ancestors of the Sacramento Kings. The great Oscar Robinson was their star at the time. The recruiter asked if I’d be interested in leaving college and trying out for their team. Since my main goal was to become a professional basketball player, I told them “It would be an honor to play for the Royals. However, I made a commitment to several important people in my life that I wouldn’t leave college under any circumstances until I received my degree.” The Royals congratulated me for making that decision and for keeping my commitment. Nevertheless, they let the door open for me to try out after graduation. What a feeling that was! It was like a dream come true. I was confident that I had a future in the NBA.
  10. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke Fierce Allegiance

5,429 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    Terry Baker- Quarterback Oregon State - 1962 Heisman Trophy winner and point guard. To date, he is the only person to have both won a Heisman Trophy and played in the Final Four.
  11. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,484 Messages
    843 Likes Received
    Vick was always overrated
  12. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,782 Messages
    582 Likes Received
    I always liked Vick. The dog thing infuriated me but I was always enamored with his ability. I think his size and style just don't allow him to stay healthy in the NFL. I think the same may hold true for RG3.
  13. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

13,373 Messages
    848 Likes Received
    I drank an extry malt . . . drink fer you!

;)
  14. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,171 Messages
    2,344 Likes Received
    Every good defense Michael Vick ever played absolutely owned him.

He revolutionized nothing.
  15. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,247 Messages
    1,407 Likes Received
    I'd say that on principals of quarterback mobility, Vick was a step or two above Quincy Carter on the evolutionary side of things.
  16. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

13,373 Messages
    848 Likes Received
    Not tough for many QBs to be a step above QC. To think that Jerra once thought QC would be the new face of the Dallas Cowboys. dang.