1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Microsoft Licensing Question

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Signals, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Signals

Signals Suspicious looking stranger

4,599 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    I am going to be building a computer system from scratch pretty soon and would like to know if when I buy MS Win 7 pro, does the license agreement permit me to install it on more than one machine or reinstall if needed?
  2. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,316 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    One machine and yes you can reinstall it. They keep track of when you activate a license. If you activate it often, it will reject allowing you to activate it. You will need to call MS and get them to manually activate it for you.

If you install/reinstall say once every six month or so, you generally won't have a problem. It's installing the same license over and over in a short amount of time that sets off the manual activation.

1 license = 1 install. Make sure you buy it from a place like Newegg and make sure you buy the OEM license version otherwise you will spend more for you OS than you need too.
  3. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Depends on the version. Most versions are a single licence. You can purchase additional licences.

You can save a bunch of money by purchasing white box OEM editions. Check microcenter.com.

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntt=windows 7

Pro is $139
  4. Signals

Signals Suspicious looking stranger

4,599 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Thanks for this info. This may very well be the route I go because I have two other PC's, one with XP, and the other with Vista I want to upgrade. The one with XP is the one MS is going to quit writing service packs for next year.
  5. NorthTexan95

NorthTexan95 Well-Known Member

1,250 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    What's been stated above is correct. If you're a student or if you work for a non-profit you might be able to get it much cheaper.