1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mike Mayock's pound on the table secondary players

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by chicago JK, Apr 28, 2011.

1. chicago JK

chicago JK Well-Known Member

1,586 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    I was watching tuesday nights path to the draft on NFL network last night and the segment was second or third round corner backs that Mayock would fight for in a war room. I don't know if these are names for the second or third round but it was three of the names Mayock said he would fight for.

All appear to have warts and Mayock mentioned two or three times that his scouting guys tell him short and slow don't work much in the NFL but he thought these guys can play.

Kendric Burney- small but said was one of the better players at senior bowl
    Marcus Gilchrist- says he has both corner and safety skills
    Ahmad Black- Mentioned him being both small and slow but thought tape showed he can play.
  2. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wouldn't "pound the table" for any one of those guys, especially Burney and Black.

Every year it's the same storyline: Player X, who had himself a productive college career goes to the combine and absolutely tests out horrible. They typically are short, small and slow. You then get the pundit (ex: Mayock) declaring "I don't care, they're great football players!"

What do you do with a kid like Burney? He's 5'9" 186 lbs and runs 4.75.
  3. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,189 Messages
    761 Likes Received
    Play him.....in the arena league.
  4. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,850 Messages
    2,213 Likes Received
    The tape doesn't lie about Ahmad Black.

Doesn't lie about Ras-I Dowling or Rahim Moore either.

If we can't get Peterson, I absolutely want Dowling. I think he's got the highest ceiling.
  5. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Yeah, I see absolutely nothing wrong with taking a flier on Black from the 5th on. If nothing else I think he could be a great special teams coverage guy and great personality in the clubhouse, ala Kenny Gant. He may not be a sprinter, but he's a football player.
  6. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,245 Messages
    1,833 Likes Received
    In the late rounds, I actually like Gilchrist a lot.
  7. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,613 Messages
    578 Likes Received
    I love Gilchrist and Burney, and would really like Black as well. All football players. Burney is a playmaker and Gilchrist is a tough guy..Two things this team needs

Some people say Mayock's specialty is DBs...
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,649 Messages
    4,526 Likes Received
    I think Black's going to be a player in this league for a long time.
    You don't draft short and slow, but in the later rounds, he'll be a find for somebody. He's the exceptional case where he really does play faster than he times. And he sticks his nose in there.