1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: MIller: Catching Up With Cowboys Cornerback Morris Claiborne...w/vid

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Mar 31, 2014.

1. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,986 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    Just like his HC said.

He needs to get stronger.

A pass rush will absolutely help but hit the film room and gym Mo.
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,931 Messages
    7,686 Likes Received
    Whether or not he does get stronger this offseason will tell us all we need to know about Mo, actually.
  3. lqmac1

lqmac1 Well-Known Member

1,301 Messages
    444 Likes Received
    I know he hasn't been a fan favorite around here considering how high we drafted him. IMO, this is a make or break season for him. I remember when Dez was at this point of his career, he was getting a lot of flak and heat for under-performing.

Now I know Dez showed a lot more flashes than Mo has, but let's consider the fact the Mo has had 2 going on 3 different coordinators. In my eyes, if he doesn't excel under Rods D, then I would start getting concerned. He's always been a man-coverage style of corner, and that's what we'll run majority of the time this year. I'm hopeful, but not convinced just yet. Here's to hoping he balls out this year.
    Idgit likes this.
  4. AKATheRake

3,986 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    I agree. Needs to at least do those things religiously to give himself the best shot at playing to the level he says he can.
    Idgit likes this.
  5. brymatt94

brymatt94 Well-Known Member

492 Messages
    259 Likes Received
    That's the key, we really need to play more man. It is the job of the coaching staff to play to their player's strengths. Carr as well is much better in press, and I hope Rod will utilize that. Claiborne has all the potential in the world, but in his third year that needs to turn into something more. I agree with you.
    lqmac1 likes this.
  6. Idgit

31,931 Messages
    7,686 Likes Received
    He at least says in his interviews that he needs to get stronger. I think he understands what's expected of him. And I think he's a hard worker. I'm undecided on whether or not he's got issues playing through injuries. Some of the stuff he sat whether last year, it made good sense to sit through. It's always hard to tell from afar what's a guy being unwilling to play through pain and what's a guy who's legitimately hobbled with a soft tissue injury.
  7. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

7,080 Messages
    1,129 Likes Received
    I'm actually not sure if he should mess with his athleticism or speed.....not saying that will happen but he needs to add just enough strength to where its a asset and not a detriment. Just because you add strength doesn't automatically fix injuries or allow you to play more physical.
  8. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,425 Messages
    644 Likes Received
    If anyone ever had a good reason to fight like crazy to make a comeback, it'd be Morris. I've always admired his attitude and the way he accepted his fate, even though it had to be a bitter disappointment to him at the time. I hope you'll join me in wishing him the best, not only for his sake but for that of the team as well. There's little doubt he's had some tough breaks right from the start.
  9. daveferr33

daveferr33 Well-Known Member

424 Messages
    560 Likes Received
    Two years in, I really wish we would have stood still and spent those picks on Brockers and Wagner.

I hope Mo makes me change my opinion.
  10. Idgit

31,931 Messages
    7,686 Likes Received
    He's just got to be able to jam the big WRs better if we're going to play him in man coverage more--which is something I think we really want to do. It hurts him right now that he can't redirect anyone sufficiently. Otherwise, his athleticism and awareness look pretty good to me for the most part. He's slower than I would have expected given his draft status, but we actually knew that coming into the draft.
  11. AKATheRake

3,986 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    A lot of that is the mental part of the game. I liked the question that started with "how do you feel mentally and physically coming off injury and going into a new season?" Mo just gave the diplomatic response of how he feels good. Didn't mention mental or physical.

I think mental is the part fans question about him. The ability to play to scheme, play with injury and also the level of confidence he hasn't seemed to play with since entering the NFL. Hopefully Mo is realizing the mental aspect and that's where film can help players realize. They can see whats beating them and also watching what other top players at their position are doing to succeed schematically, technically and mentally through injuries.
    Idgit likes this.
  12. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,898 Messages
    627 Likes Received
    Guy made plays with broken body parts and still says he needs to improve..

Beast-mode in full effect...
  13. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,140 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    This is where the rubber meets the road for this guy.... It's time to show your worth!
  14. TonyRomo17

TonyRomo17 Well-Known Member

968 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    i remember hearing an interview where he said he didnt really study much film..
  15. lqmac1

lqmac1 Well-Known Member

1,301 Messages
    444 Likes Received
    I remember last year, we were pretty successful when we played press/ man coverage. This zone thing is not what we need to run.
  16. lostar2009

lostar2009 Active Member

990 Messages
    189 Likes Received
    Nope your right on, its on Mo to build his own legacy. I wish he study film more.
  17. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    :D
    Yes, he is a great cover guy, but needs that rush upfront .
  18. gambit187

gambit187 Active Member

700 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    He need to be rehabbing, working and studying seven days a week...I want him to be on some 24/7 stuff with it. Hell if he takes a break its to play himself on Madden....