1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Minnesota Vikings Picks

Discussion in 'Draft Day Zone' started by Hostile, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,086 Messages
    3,070 Likes Received
    [IMG]

Rd 1 - 007 - Adrian Peterson RB, Oklahoma

BIOGRAPHY: Three-year starter awarded varying degrees of All-Conference and All-American honors since his freshman campaign. Rushing totals last season were 188/1,012/12, with 10 receptions.

POSITIVES: Big, fast ball carrier who can dominate the action. Patient, waits for blocks to develop and finds the running lane, maneuvering through the smallest of holes. Follows blocks anywhere on the field, makes defenders miss and has a burst of speed.

NEGATIVES: Not always super-aggressive and occasionally shows some tentativeness at the point of attack. More of a straight-line runner who does not show great skill around the corner.

ANALYSIS: An outstanding ball carrier with sensational running skills, Peterson possesses all the abilities needed to be a feature runner. Durability issues loom large yet if he stays healthy he is potentially a franchise back for the next level.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2007/draft/players/12263.html

Rd 2 - 041 -

Vikings trade second round pick (#41) to Falcons for Falcons 2nd round pick (#44) and

Rd 2 - 044 - From Falcons

Sidney Rice WR, South Carolina

BIOGRAPHY: Two-year starter awarded All-Conference honors after his freshman and sophomore campaigns. Pass-catching totals last season were 72/1,090/10 after 70/1,143/13 the prior year.

POSITIVES: Fluid receiver with a lot of natural skill. Quickly releases off the line, consistently extends to make the reception away from his frame and beats opponents for the jump ball. Plays with terrific body control and balance.

NEGATIVES: Has a thin build, is not physically strong nor very aggressive. Lacks true downfield speed and a second gear.

ANALYSIS: A natural pass-catcher who has been ultra-productive in one of the nation.s toughest conferences, Rice offers a lot of skill and potential as a number one receiver. Needs to physically mature and improve his route-running, yet could be helped by proper coaching.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2007/draft/players/14609.html

Rd 3 - 072 - Marcus McCauley CB, Fresno State

BIOGRAPHY: Three-year starter and previous All-Conference selection who posted 56 tackles and broke up seven passes last season. Junior totals were 45/1/7.

POSITIVES: Physically gifted cornerback who has previously shown the ability to shut down opponents. Fluid transitioning to run with receivers, diagnoses the action and has a quick break to the ball. Runs with opponents laterally or stays with them down the field.

NEGATIVES: Did not consistently play aggressive football as a senior. Bit on play action passes, pump fakes and showed minimal instincts last year. Slow getting his head back around then positioning himself against opponents to make a play on the ball.

ANALYSIS: After a terrible campaign in which McCauley did not meet the expectations of NFL scouts, he continued his poor play in the postseason. Offers the size, speed and abilities to start in the NFL, yet he must quickly rebound and get his act together.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2007/draft/players/18940.html

Rd 4 - 102 - From Buccaneers - Brian Robinson DE, Texas

Rd 4 - 121 - Traded to Denver
    Rd 5 - 146 - Aundrae Allison WR, East Carolina
    Rd 6 - 176 - From Detroit - Rufus Alexander LB, Oklahoma
    Rd 6 - 182 - Traded to Tampa
    Rd 7 - 217 - Tyler Thigpen QB, Coastal
    Rd 7 - 233 - From Denver - William Chandler WR, Florida International
  2. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,504 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    OMG, best draft by far.
  3. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,316 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    Nah, I can name two better drafts. Panthers and Browns; but I agree. One of the top drafts.

Grade: A+

Peterson alone makes this an A. To land Sidney Rice and Marcus McCauley on top of that was huge.
  4. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Peterson, McCauley and Rice will start for them on Week 1. Allison very well may.

The only thing kind of off about it is that I don't know if Adrian Peterson and Sydney Rice are good fits for Brad Childress' WCO offense.
  5. Sam I Am

31,316 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    Peterson should shine in a WCO. He should be more potent than Ricky Waters was when he was in SF.

Note, I said *should*. I'm still waiting to see what Childress can do with that offense.
  6. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Dallas gets two bites at the apple with Minnesota, in the preseason and on October 21st in the regular season. Peterson may not play in the preseason game but Dallas will see him in October, I'll wager.

;)
  7. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,234 Messages
    5,487 Likes Received
    Best draft in the NFC. And there were some other very good ones.
  8. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Do you really think Peterson will still by healthy and in the lineup by late October?
  9. Sam I Am

31,316 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    Bada Bing! :D
  10. BLT

BLT Member

807 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    i agree i thought they had 1 of the top 3 drafts in the NFL... their day 1 was great and on day 2 getting brian robinson,allison and rufus.. that a very good day 2