1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mock draft (w/ OL,DL,QB)

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by patrickstillhere, Jan 2, 2013.

1. patrickstillhere

patrickstillhere Member

67 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Trade the 18. overall pick for 1/27 and 2/26.
    Trade 2/17 and 4/17 for 2/11.

Round
    1. Jesse Williams DT/NT, Alabama
    2. Barret Jones, OG/OC, Alabama
    2. Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee
    3. Bacarri Rambo, FS, Georgia
    5. Omoregie Uzzi, OG, Georgia Tech
    6. Kenjon Barner, RB, Oregon
  2. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,365 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Although I don't dislike any of those prospects, I doubt we go QB in the second round. I know we need to address QB at some point I just don't see us drafting one early this year.
  3. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,716 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    I understand the rationale, but DLine has to be addressed in a big way. If Rat gets cut, all they may have going into next year is Hatch, Lissimore and Crawford.
    For that reason, both safety and QB will probably take a backseat, though I like Rambo.
  4. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,690 Messages
    1,136 Likes Received
    Not a huge fan...I don't like going QB that early, and don't think Rambo will still be available in the 3rd or that Barner will be there in the 6th.
  5. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,867 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    At this point in the draft process, it would be a waste to take any QB early. In a month or two, that may change, but right now, none have showed the potential to be anything more than a below averege starter/solid back-up, including Geno Smith, the likely #1 pick.

As far as the rest of the mock goes, I think you are over rating Jesee Williams. IMO, I think he goes mid to late second at best. Too one dimensional and not enough size to make up for that. I see his celing being that of a Kelly Gregg, who was a very good NT for several years for the Ravens, but not a guy that made many plays over the years.

Barrett could go late first, but I see no reason for him to go ahead of other similarly rated prospects at his position (peter Konz-55, Stefan Wisniewki-48, Max Unger-49, Ryan Kalil-59). He may get over drafted like a few guys here and there, but he's not the prospect that either Pouncey twin was or Alex Mack or Nick Mangold. If we traded up a bit I wouldn't be upset, but it's likely not necessary.
    Rambo won't
  6. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,203 Messages
    3,031 Likes Received
    Round
    1. Jesse Williams DT/NT, Alabama
    Overrated player, IMO. I think that there will be multiple better options at the end of the 1st round.

2. Barret Jones, OG/OC, Alabama
    Good.

2. Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee
    The Cowboys can drastically improve their current QB by drastically improving the OL / Running Game.

3. Bacarri Rambo, FS, Georgia
    Probably not a Garrett type of player (failed a drug test).

5. Omoregie Uzzi, OG, Georgia Tech
    I like this player. He could end up getting picked earlier.

6. Kenjon Barner, RB, Oregon
    I don't see any possibility that this player is available in the 6th round.

7. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    No love for small schools this year? I like all the players. Just not sure I like us drafting them.
  8. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

2,888 Messages
    609 Likes Received
    I know we desperately need a NT, but I think we can do better than Jesse Williams in the 1st round. I hope we sign NT Terrance Knighton from Jacksonville in FA, and go O-Line in the first. Wither Chance Warmack or Jonathon Cooper. I do hope we trade back though and pick up another 2nd. Hopefully a team bites.

Other than that, I love the mock. It almost seems too good to be true though, so probably won't happen.

I've been a Tyler Bray to Dallas advocate for a while now. He's my first choice, other than Geno Smith, because I really think that with 2-3 years of development behind Romo, he could be special. He's a little immature, sure, but hes only 20. He certainly has the talent, just needs some tutelage and refinement in mechanics/footwork.

I really hope we get Rambo too. He'd be a steal in the 3rd and we desperately need Safety help.

But, with all that said, I'm sure we'll end up drafting a bunch of smaller name guys cause they have higher character. It's more JG's style.
  9. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Jesse Williams much overrated.
  10. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    I concentrated mainly on DL and OL. and selected players based on where they now stand in the rankings and where we will be drafting

1. Alex Okafor--whether Spencer stays or not

2. Dallas Thomas

3. Khalid Holmes

4. Brandon Williams--NT/DT small school with great stats

5. Dennis Johnson--Ark. can be a tough runner and good receiver out of backfield plus KR.

6. Open-maybe Terron Armstead OT, Quanterus Smith injured DE/OLB or others, even a QB. Just whatever available is best for team.
  11. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,203 Messages
    3,031 Likes Received
    Numbers 2 through 6 would be excellent! Okafor at #18 would be terrible, IMO. In college he was able to use power to be effective; however, his speed/quickness is far below most of the other OLB prospects.

Change Okafor to Dion Jordon or Jonathan Cooper and you have an super-excellent draft.