1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Montana jogger murder mystery

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by kristie, Jan 21, 2012.

1. kristie

kristie Well-Known Member

7,589 Messages
    124 Likes Received
  2. kimrose

kimrose Active Member

459 Messages
    188 Likes Received
    Wow. Seems like no where is really safe anymore.
  3. kristie

7,589 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    i know. that's why my husband & i always keep our doors & windows locked at all times.
  4. CliffnMesquite

CliffnMesquite Well-Known Member

4,172 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    Well. She wasn't killed for her looks...
  5. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,161 Messages
    2,793 Likes Received
    That sort of thing has always been going on.

I read an account of a babysitter being kidnapped from a home in Wisconsin in October 1953... She's never been found.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hartley_evelyn.html

We're just more likely to hear of it happening now because of the lightning-speed of national media.
  6. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    Actually she may of been. I think what you meant to say was she wasn't raped for her looks.
  7. kimrose

kimrose Active Member

459 Messages
    188 Likes Received
    Very true. Even in the little town I grew up in, a couple of months ago a man killed his four young children, shot his wife (she survived), then blew his own head off. All in front of some kids that were walking home from school. Murder is uncommon in this town, esp. like this, almost never happens. A decade ago, it wouldn't have even made the news from our area (we get the Houston news). But today, with fast news stream media outlets, it actually went National. For a few seconds, anyway.
  8. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,201 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    [IMG]

I always try to remind people of this whenever they complain about how bad crime is now. According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, we're substantially safer now than 20 years ago.
  9. kristie

7,589 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    that's true.
  10. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,941 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    Pretty funny.
  11. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    You should always keep your windows and doors locked at all times. In our society today, there is no safe place anymore.

I check my doors nightly before going to bed. They all are dead bolted and handle locked each night and when we are out and even when we are home.

I am not going to make it easy for anyone doing home invasions.

You arent catching this cat ill prepared. You bust through my door your are getting both barrels in the face.

I don't shoot to get sued or make friends.

Bye!
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,623 Messages
    1,570 Likes Received
    Samuel Clemens about statistics
    "There are lies; there are DAMN lies; then there are STATISTICS."
  13. WV Cowboy

10,941 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    Who is we?

I can't believe that this is true.
  14. MichaelWinicki

32,161 Messages
    2,793 Likes Received
    I think there's some merit to why it may be true.

No question that there are areas of the country that ARE NOT safer than what they were 20 years ago.

Get the book "Freakonomoics" and read chapter four. It features one topic that the authors believe has made a positive impact on the crime rate over the past 20 years.

Agree or disagee, it's an interesting spin.

Here are some comparisons...

Year Population # of crimes
    1975 213,124,000 11,292,400

1990 248,709,873 14,475,600

2010 308,745,538 10,329,135

I think the reason someone may feel more unsafe now than in say 1975 or 1990 is due to the reporting of crime in the media. We're hit with crimes news and crime information on a constant basis... On TV, on the Internet. A hoodlum smacks around an elderly person out in California and we know about it almost instantly... It's reported in search results... It's "twittered"... It's on Facebook and the video is on Youtube.

Only big crimes and the most heinous were reported back then.

And then you have all the reality-based TV shows that deal with either crimes or criminals. We didn't have "Cops" or John Walsh telling us or showing us how deviant our neighbors were. We didn't have shows showing the kid down the street out stealing stuff for drugs.

If you went by what's reported in the news or what we watch on TV you would think the US is nothing but a war-zone from coast to coast.
  15. WV Cowboy

10,941 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    I'm sure all you say has some merit for sure MW.

But it seems locally, even in our rural area, crime seems to have increased.

Seems like it came with the Interstate (1974) and rapid growth of our area.

The Interstate brought all kinds of low-lifes and deviates to our little "Mayberry".
  16. MichaelWinicki

32,161 Messages
    2,793 Likes Received
    In some areas it probably has increased.
  17. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,980 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    With all due respect, which isn't a heck of a lot apparently, you're an ******* to say something like that. Seriously.
  18. CliffnMesquite

CliffnMesquite Well-Known Member

4,172 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    Seriously? I'm hurt.
  19. NoDak Cowboy

NoDak Cowboy Benched

309 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This town is about a half hour from where I live in Williston, ND. My parents live there, and my mother is friends of her family. Sherry Arnold was an extremely popular teacher amongst both her coworkers and students. There has been a huge outpouring from the community to try find her body. As of yet, nothing.

These guys are in jail here in Williston, ND fighting extradition back to Montana. Agravated kidnapping carries the death penalty on it's own. Why they don't reveal where the body is is beyond me. It's not like they could execute them even more. Telling where the body is might help them. Especially if the death was an accident, which some are speculating.
  20. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,980 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    No, you're not, and I've already stated the reason why.

For all you know this woman may have died in terror, and your big contribution is to say she wasn't attractive in the process, like you're watching CSI on your couch.