1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Mosley | More may look like less in 2004

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Bluefin, Jul 14, 2004.

1. aikemirv

aikemirv Well-Known Member

7,132 Messages
    94 Likes Received
    The games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage.

More depth on both sides of the line than last year and Allen is in shape this year with no lingering injuries.

More pressure upfront with Wiley (there is no question he is much better than Ekuban) which will help out the new CB.

BP is working on the trenches and that is why we will not go backwards this year!
  2. Nightshade

Nightshade Active Member

1,811 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    How about 2-1 and even TD's and INT's?
  3. TheSkaven

TheSkaven Last Man Standing

4,105 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    I challenge you to find me 8 losses on this schedule. For Dallas to lose 8 games, they would have to lose both games to the Eagles, at least one game to the Redskins, and lose to five more teams from the AFC and NFC North, two of the weakest divisions on football.

I suppose it could happen, but I just don't see it. This team proved last year that they beat lesser teams, and the Bears, Lions, Bengals (with Palmer), Giants, Browns and Steelers are all lesser teams.

The notion that the Redskins have a better team this year is ludicrious. They added a 34 year old quarterback and an injury-prone running back. Their offensive line is still in shambles and their defense is putrid.

I am marking week 1 as a real barometer for this team. If they beat the Vikings in Minnesota, this team could easily run off 5 straight wins against teams like the Browns, Giants, and Steelers.
  4. Cheap Shot Artist

Cheap Shot Artist Benched

981 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I remember after the 87 strike season, Parcells, then with the G-Men said '88 was going to be a rebuilding year

The Giants overachieved and went to the playoffs

BUT the biggest difference is that with their nasty D.( LT, Carl Banks, Mark Collins, Pepper Johnson, Erik Howard, Gary Reasons)...They has an established vet QB, a running game, TE, and, even though they were in a state of change, an OL that was very good.

With 2 huge questions @ QB and RB and a big questions @ RG and RT, we just cant automatically say..Oh, we'll have a better record, especially with the improvements of our division and some really tough road games

@ Minn, @ Sea, @ GB, @ Balt @ Wash, @ Phi, @NY (where we got an absolute gift last year from K Matt Bryant) @ Cin

6 of these teams can or will be able to score points in a hurry

Baltimore has a great D with 2 outstanding pass rushers and an HOF MLB and a Pro Bowl CB

The Giants, in NY in January isn no cake walk either

Excellent article
  5. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We agree!!!

- Mike G.
  6. CoCo1

CoCo1 New Member

380 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Someone earlier suggested we could go 8-8 but be encouraged because we're an up-n-coming team. I'm having a hard time understanding how 8-8 versus 10-6 from last year would indicate we're getting better.

Do we have a lot of question marks? YES! QB, RB, OL, RCB, pass rush etc.

But if we go 8-8 that would seem to imply that we didn't solve those problems and that further moves would be necessary without any promise they were solved then UNTIL it was proven on the field. Now you can temper this a bit with Julius & Drew who are both rookies and may not give conclusive answers in 2004 but if Wiley & Hunter flop in 04 we start over in 05. Similarly if the OL continues to struggle we have to question if we even have the right pieces. Rogers & Peterman would deserve another look, being rookies, but again there is no promise they'll be any better in 05 than they were in 04.

So my position is this. I DO believe we're gonna be better in 04 (than 03) and I think our record will be 10-6 or better. I understand we might take a step back - distinct possibility. 8-8 would be just that IMO. If that happens though I think we have to question just how +up-n-coming" we really are.
  7. blindzebra

blindzebra Well-Known Member

9,625 Messages
    1,014 Likes Received
    Parcells himself said, we could be better, but it may not show up record-wise.

I don't think that we will drop to 7-9 or even 8-8 without some injuries, but the difference between 7-9 and 10-6 is not that great.

If Bryant's kickoff does not go OOB, if Pennington is not hurt, if Reid does not onsides kick.
  8. Cheap Shot Artist

981 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If the Bills Antoine Winfield doesnt drop a sure INT for a TD against us too

thats 3 plays and a key injury from us being 6-10

And dont shoot the messenger, but we were team that stayed darn near injury free

Things have a way of evening out
  9. Cheap Shot Artist

981 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    winning, like usual
  10. aikemirv

aikemirv Well-Known Member

7,132 Messages
    94 Likes Received
    I agree with you, if we do not win more than 8 games we are not up and coming, we are down in the pack. If we dont beat 10 of the teams on our schedule then I am concerned about our future.

If we don't that means J Jones is not our RB of the future and our QB of the future has only played a few games. Our line is not very good and our defense has taken a step back.

We dominated time of possesion last year in many games, if you do that you win games a lot of the time.
  11. Cheap Shot Artist

981 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Our D doesnt necessarily have to take a step back

The '91 Philadelphia Eagles were IMHO a defense that is a top 5 D of all time

Ranked 1 vs run, pass and of course total D with nearly 60 sacks as a team

They didnt even make the playoffs

There will come a time we will have to score points against good/premier times and even <gasp!!> on the road against those upper echelon teams

Time will tell
  12. Cheap Shot Artist

981 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The '01 Pats won the SB

The '02 Pats?

fill in the blank
  13. windward

windward NFL Historian

15,380 Messages
    658 Likes Received
    Looking at our schedule 10-6 is easily repeatable this year we could take a step back but I doubt it.

I just don't see eight losses on our schedule at this moment.

Of course, it's all speculation
  14. windward

windward NFL Historian

15,380 Messages
    658 Likes Received
    What's your point? Parcells had nothing to do with the 2001 and 2002 Patriots
  15. Cheap Shot Artist

981 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    My point?

Shat happens...even with a Belichick coached team

I have the utmost respect for Parcells, but, as has been documented numerous times here and elsewhere, our schedule come in like a lion and went out like a lamb...we were injury free and, as has been documented, 3 plays that went our way and an injury from perhaps being 6-10

IMHO, we will either be 2-4 or 3-3 in our division

The Gints were a Matt Bryant KO out of bounds from splitting us last year

The 2nd Jints team had already laid down after learing Fassel has already been told he was done, and went against Jesse Palmer, making his 3rd career start

Their D held us to 2 offensive TD's last year in 2 games

Again, my expectations are not all that high--Id rather be pleasantly surprised

Im not going to be a roofjumper like I suspect many heremay become if the Cowboys stock market crashes
  16. windward

windward NFL Historian

15,380 Messages
    658 Likes Received
    Fair enough.
  17. TheSkaven

TheSkaven Last Man Standing

4,105 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    We can play that game all day, don't get too caught up in that. Those two 5-11 Cowboys teams from 2001 and 2002 lost most of their games by less than 7 points.
  18. Cheap Shot Artist

981 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    True sir, but look at it this yway

Its great Parcells had his team and Zuriel Smith prepared for the KO out of bounds against the G-Men but, look..

A football field is what..53 yards wide? And the ball went out of bounds inches in front of the endzone piling?..Thats simply just Good fortune

Same for the onside kick vs the Fecals...what happens if the ball bounced different, the Eagles recovered it and drove down the field for a TD putting our suspect offense?

Again, great prep but even better fortune

McNabb was playing with injured hand too and their offense was horrific for the 1st part of the season

A Winfield INT for a TD instead of a drop makes the score 13-10 Bills

The Jets without Pennington were hapless

Hey Im not trying to be a total kill joy but a closer look is quite revealing to how fortunate we truly were last season
  19. CoCo1

CoCo1 New Member

380 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    On the if, if, if...

Parcells also said you are what your record says you are when he took over this job. We were 5-11 then. We were 10-6 last year. All told, we deserved em both in the words of our leader.

I know we COULD be worse than 10-6 if, if, if...

I am just saying I expect 10-6 or better because quite frankly I believe we WILL be better and our record has a good chance of reflecting that. Stranger things have happened of course.
  20. Mike 1967

Mike 1967 New Member

2,771 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think I'll wait and see the games.

Prognostication is not exactly a Science.

Just ask the Lakers and the Pistons.

Everyone always underestimates the value of Chemistry.....just ask the Texas Rangers.

From where I'm sitting....the Cowboys have great chemistry and a great leader and talent evaluator.

The other wild card is injuries.

Prognostication is worthless.....otherwise the last 5 SB's would have been won by the same two teams that we are now being told are the best in the Division.