1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Mosley | More may look like less in 2004

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Bluefin, Jul 14, 2004.

1. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,692 Messages
    147 Likes Received
    I absolutely agree.
  2. CoCo1

CoCo1 New Member

380 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sure its worthless. But its fun when if you keep it in perspective. What would this board be without prognostication?
  3. followthestar

followthestar Active Member

2,083 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    what a slanted point of view the author has - he should be in politics! as for our record, who knows? good teams collapse, other teams come out of nowhere, and going by our schedule of opponents can only tell so much. the quote of parcells that everyone is conveniently forgetting is "a team is only as good as its record." now you tell me how we can not win as many games, and still be a better team...
  4. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,173 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    This team will be better than 8-8. They will win more than the 10 games they won last season.
  5. blindzebra

blindzebra Well-Known Member

9,194 Messages
    338 Likes Received
    Parcells said exactly that just before the mini camps.

Parcells said, "You are what you are, no excuses." When asked if the 5-11 team was better than their record. I don't think that that quote really contradicts him saying, "The team can improve, but it may not show by our record."

The first quote was about excuses for a team and players he had not coached yet.

The second quote was about the fact that we exceeded his expectations record-wise in 2003. The players may have played as hard as he expected, but we caught some breaks and we were lucky and good getting to 10-6. Parcells reaction to locking up a winning record further illustrates his surprise with our record. I doubt a coach that expected a winning record would have gotten so caught up with pride in his players for getting there.

Dick Vermeil does not count. :D
  6. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,343 Messages
    2,898 Likes Received
    We had more questions than that last year and still won 10 games. We will be better this year that is why I think anything less than 10 wins this year will be disappointing.
  7. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,605 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    \\

Mike, true dat, but if half of these question marks turn out positive, we can possibly look at 2 additional wins from 8-8. If the majority of these questions marks are answered positively ... this could be another special year.
  8. Dale

Dale Forum Architect

4,806 Messages
    107 Likes Received
    I'm not a big fan of the "more may look like less" theme that many are creating for this season.

While I think it is absolutely true that the team may be unable to win 10 games again this year, as we did receive breaks last season at times, this possibility exists for everyone.

If this year is "more may look like less," then last season's theme entering the year must have been "less may look like even less." The expectations were extremely low and we had a chance at winning the division come season's end.

The division is improved leaps and bounds, but only on paper. The "more may look like less" theme applies to them as much as it does us.

Terrell Owens and Jevon Kearse to Philly, and Clinton Portis to Washington seem like sure Pro Bowl fits that will catapolt those teams to the next level. But how often do such sure-fire free agent acquisitions turn into monumental busts? Even when stars shift teams, it seems like too many times the players have a hard time fitting into their new settings.

It'll be a tough road it looks like, but then we had the "most difficult" schedule entering last year and we know how that turned out.