1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Mosley: Parcells: 'That wasn't the same defense'

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by LaTunaNostra, Sep 13, 2004.

1. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Parcells: 'That wasn't the same defense'

04:02 PM CDT on Monday, September 13, 2004

By MATT MOSLEY / DallasNews.com

IRVING – A day after he watched his defense get torched by the Vikings in a 35-17 loss, Cowboys coach Bill Parcells didn’t provide many answers.

He said he knew his defense would probably struggle against the Vikings’ high-powered passing game, but he didn’t expect it to be overwhelmed.

“That wasn’t the same defense as last year,” Parcells said.

Parcells didn’t provide anything new on rookie running back Julius Jones, who sat out the game with a chest injury even though he didn’t miss practice last week and had been listed as probable.

Immediately after the game, Parcells said he held Jones out because he didn’t see enough from him in practice and was worried about his ability to pick up the blitz.

Parcells said he must see how Jones practices Wednesday before commenting on his status for Sunday’s game against Cleveland.

Cowboys right guard Andre Gurode and center Tyson Walter were knocked out of the game Sunday, but Parcells only said that, after X-rays, the injuries may not be as bad as they first appeared.

Gurode suffered a sprained medial collateral ligament in his right knee during the third quarter; Walter suffered a sprained left knee in the first quarter. Parcells said he would know more about the injuries Wednesday.

Parcells second-guessed himself on not using backup running back ReShard Lee after the Cowboys fell behind, 28-17, midway through the third quarter. Lee accounted for all 31 yards on a scoring drive on the team’s previous drive. Lee's seven-yard touchdown run trimmed the Vikings’ lead to 21-17.

Parcells said it was “my mistake” to head into the season with punter Mat McBriar as the holder. After McBriar botched a field goal attempt in the first half, Parcells used quarterback Tony Romo the rest of the way.

E-mail mmosley@dallasnews.com
  2. Smith22

Smith22 Well-Known Member

5,845 Messages
    267 Likes Received
    Did K. Thornton get any playing time to rush the QB at all? If so, I didn't notice.
  3. guag

guag Right Kind of Guy

6,579 Messages
    1,397 Likes Received
    seems like Parcells has been second-guessing himself more often than usual lately...
  4. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,724 Messages
    902 Likes Received
    He was in there a couple of times. That giant LT from Univ. Of Miami treated him like a rag doll. That's not really that bad, he treated Ellis and Wiley the same way..................
  5. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,507 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    A properly motivated Mt. McKinnie could be a terror in this league!
  6. dallasfaniac

dallasfaniac Active Member

4,196 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No this wasn't the same defense as last year. Somehow we managed to turn in 2 sacks, but couldn't stop them from rushing or throwing. 2 sacks, did the QB run out of bounds for a loss or something?
  7. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,730 Messages
    108 Likes Received
    interesting that the stat line shows dallas got 2 sacks for zero in lost yardage. some sacks, eh?
  8. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,290 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    I actually saw him out there a fair amount. More than I thought. He didn't do anything though.
  9. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,769 Likes Received
    Defense can do 1 of 2 things, they either fold their tents and go into a shell or they come out swinging. I think these guys have too much pride to give up. Fans may give up on them and that certainly is the right of any fan but I do not see these players giving up based on one shatty outing and I know I'm not giving up on the either.
  10. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,900 Messages
    4,465 Likes Received
    Culpepper running out of bounds prior to the LOS. I think when run out of bounds like that by a defensive player on a pass play its considered a sack.

We had no sacks other than possibly that.
  11. Hollywood Henderson

Hollywood Henderson Benched

3,329 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Your right Dooms,

Afterall, we played what might be the best offense in the NFL this year...
    Our young guys and old vets will learn & improve...I am not sure zimmy ever will though?

Great news if Gurode isn't hurt bad...

I thought Walters played well, I saw Johnson make one bad play in pass blocking...

Huge mismatch if the little Lehr ever had to play for more then a couple snaps...
  12. Mike 1967

Mike 1967 New Member

2,771 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yep...that was not the same defense as last year.

Hopefully the defense we see this week will not be the same defense we saw last Sunday. :)
  13. SmashFactorGolf

SmashFactorGolf New Member

345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    caught him on left side 1x------got a good jump....but they ran a lead draw to the inside of him ............
  14. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    he was in there, didnt do much...had a chance to make one negative play on a run play but overran it...had Culpepper kept the ball for a playfake or a drop back Thornton would have easily had a sack

David
  15. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    yeah, he played ok but he also held three or four times that should (or at least could have been) called...one time he almost ripped Ogbogus head off his neck with the choke hold right in front of the zebra and that didnt get called either...he also held on one of Onterrio Smith's decent runs that should have been called, but wasnt

We dont get the benefit of the doubt for opposing holding calls thats for sure, but our guys get called for alot of borderline ones...one of Adams's supposed holding calls definitely wasnt holding

David
  16. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They werent real sacks, they were Culpepper scrambles...Dixon and Hunter got credit for one each...There was nothing that resembled a real pressure, much less a sack on the QB after the opening drive...

David
  17. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,623 Messages
    3,150 Likes Received

What's a sack?
  18. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Isn't that the thing you carry your groceries home with?... :confused:
  19. Sportsbabe