1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Mosley:What rookie free agents can make the team?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by LaTunaNostra, Jul 16, 2004.

1. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    20 questions: What rookie free agents can make the team?
    05:16 PM CDT on Friday, July 16, 2004

By MATT MOSLEY / DallasNews.com

When Cowboys coach Bill Parcells says he's going on vacation, he means it. He's done everything but board the windows at Valley Ranch since last month's minicamp.

But with training camp just around the corner, fans are hungry for Cowboys news. And that's why we'll address a different topic every day until the first practice July 31 in Oxnard, Calif.

Which rookie free agents have the best chance of making the team?

Some teams bring in rookie free agents as glorified blocking dummies. But Bill Parcells seems to hit on at least two or three guys every year. One reason free agents have a good chance under Parcells is because he's not beholden to his draft picks. Where a player went in the draft or how much money he makes doesn't figure into Parcells' decision-making process.

Players who have done their homework know this about Parcells. Fullback Lousaka Polite, who collected a relatively large signing bonus ($20,000), had other offers. But he knew Parcells' reputation.

Of the free-agent rookies on the roster, Polite probably has the best chance of making the team. Receivers Terrance Copper, James Newson, Brandon Middleton all have outside shots at making the team.

One of the most intriguing players may be former Arkansas special teams standout Tom Crowder. He's working at safety. With his speed and knack for blocking kicks, Crowder might have an outside shot at making the team.

When Parcells hits on a free agent, he considers it getting a player for free. And it wouldn't be surprising to see him get at least three free players this season.

E-mail mmosley@dallasnews.com

20 Questions:
    16. What rookie free agents can make the team?
    17. What will happen at fullback?
    18. How many QB's can one team have?
    19. Who's next at safety?
    20. Could the Cowboys finally have a viable pass rush?

Matt's Mail Call
    7/15: Do you think Parcells regrets letting Dantzler go?
    02:50 PM CDT on Thursday, July 15, 2004

Matt Mosley

Archive
    Bio

Q: Do you think Bill Parcells regrets having let go of Woody Dantzler last season? With all the talk of who will return kicks, it seems like Dantzler had a knack for it. Water under the bridge now, but I was just wondering if there had ever been any word of wishing they had a do-over on that one.

Adam Nichols

Mosley: Good question, Adam. I really think Parcells wanted to keep Dantzler. He just couldn't figure out the best way to use him. I do think that Patrick Crayton (rookie from DeSoto, Texas) has a chance to be a similar player. Woody just had trouble fielding punts. And Parcells isn't going to put up with that no matter how much he likes a kid personally. So I don't think he's having second thoughts, but I do think he had great admiration for Dantzler, who's on the Falcons' roster.

Matt Mosley answers your questions about the Cowboys each week. E-mail him here: mattmailcall@dallasnews.com.
  2. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,873 Messages
    1,763 Likes Received
    Newson is the guy to watch IMO.
  3. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

3,029 Messages
    153 Likes Received
    James Newson is the receiver I have my eye on as well.

I'm on the east coast, so I haven't seen Newson play, but the draft reports rated him as a 3rd-4th round player capable of developing into a solid complementary receiver opposite a true number one target.

Did you see him play at all by chance?

Newson wasn't a returner it appears, so that may work against him in claiming the final receiving spot.

At worst, Newson should be a nice candidate for the practice squad.

I like the chances of him earning his star.

I'm also anxious to see what guard Thomas Herrion can do.
  4. Merlin

Merlin Member

361 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I was surprised that Patrick C. wasnt mentioned initially but he did mention him in the Q & A. PC should have a pretty good chance at making the squad or at least the practice squad if he passes waivers.
  5. LaTunaNostra

14,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Crayton's the one intrigues me most, Big Dog.
  6. SALADIN

SALADIN Jumper

1,787 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like Newson too, I thought he was one of the best WR's in the Pac-10 and thats saying a lot considering how loaded that confrence was with WR's last year. He had a terrible leg injury that probably lead teams to shy away from him. I think that it may come down to he or Crayton, and between the two of them Crayton may have the edge because of his versatility.
  7. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,146 Messages
    779 Likes Received
    Crayton's not a free agent. He was drafted in the seventh round.
  8. DLK150

DLK150 The Quiet Man

1,311 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    BD, we obtained Crayton through the draft not as an UFA. That's why he didn't mention him in the main article.

I like what I've read about Crayton though. He and Crowder both are intriguing prospects.
  9. Hollywood Henderson

Hollywood Henderson Benched

3,329 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think Pollite has the chance of being the only one to make the team...The rest are PS types to me...

I think they made a mistake with Danlzer, not because he couldn't catch punts well enough, but because they tried him at S...

He was a perfect slash type player, perhaps a good goalline QB even? He could have catch passes out of the backfield, ran the option play, or ran the ball from anywhere and been a weapon...A waste to try & put him on the D side IMHO...When he is a weapon with the ball in his hands...

With our Offense having so much trouble scoring, we need more players who can break plays from anywhere...
  10. BrownSugar

BrownSugar One Classy Lady

793 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm rooting for James Newson, I spoke with him, and he seems to have a chip on his shoulder to prove a point to those that didn't draft him....hopefully, he'll at least make the ps.
  11. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,744 Messages
    2,419 Likes Received
    He fights for every yard after he makes a catch. Living in Pac 10 country I have seen a lot of him. I still can't believe he went undrafted.

I am also rooting for Crowder, Herrion, and Polite.
  12. BrownSugar

BrownSugar One Classy Lady

793 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I didn't get to see him play, but my son did, and he says that he's a baller. He seems like a good kid, he has that wide receiver "cocky, swagger" about him...
  13. LaTunaNostra

14,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's great to hear Brown Sugar.

This preseason, I want to see a horde of cocky kids all knocking themselves (and each other) out to make the team.

Good to see you posting again...
  14. Hostile

118,744 Messages
    2,419 Likes Received
    Yes, he does. To his credit though he is very focused and genuine from what i have heard.

We need confidence out there as long as it is team oriented. That is what I find fault with AB for.
  15. Sarge

20,873 Messages
    1,763 Likes Received
    I said the same thing the day of the draft Hos. It's unbelievable he didn't get drafted.

He makes the team IMO.
  16. Hostile

118,744 Messages
    2,419 Likes Received
    I think he will too. In a couple of years when our geriatric WRs have moved on I hope he'll be our posession guy. Great hands. Like I said he fights for every yard.
  17. Sarge

20,873 Messages
    1,763 Likes Received
    Yep - he makes some CRAZY catches. Would love to see him and AB getting it done eventually.
  18. Hostile

118,744 Messages
    2,419 Likes Received
    Or Mike Williams if we are fortunate enough to draft him.
  19. Sarge

20,873 Messages
    1,763 Likes Received
    It's totally possible. I'll be watching the Bills scores with a vested interest this year, as we all will.

Unfortunately, I have to watch them play ever damn week.
  20. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

3,029 Messages
    153 Likes Received
    It's good to hear from people who've watched Newson play that he has some fight in his game.

I'm pretty confident Newson will at worst make the practice squad, but staying on the 53 man roster may well come down to his special teams ability.

There's a host of return candidates on both sides of the ball, but Patrick Crayton may nail down the final receiver slot thanks to specials.

If Newson is as good as we hope, could he in fact challenge Randal Williams for his spot?

That might be tough.

As long as Williams continues improving, I really believe the staff is planning on getting his team best speed on the field this year.

I'd love to keep 6 receivers to boost the chances of Newson and Crayton both making the cut, but I only see 5 making the team at present, the same as last year.