1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mosley's draft comments today

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Chocolate Lab, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Get this... Mosley just that after talking to people at the Ranch, "no way" would we take Fairley at #9.

He said Fairley would even give us pause in the second round. Wow, he must have some really bad red flags.

Also has Green and Jones going in the top six.

His pick today to the Cowboys? Try to move down to 15 or 16 or so, but if we get stuck at #9...

Castonzo.

Bleh.

Says Smith has a bigger upside but he's going to take time, and Castonzo is ready to play right now.

Watt is his backup pick at #9.
  2. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,270 Messages
    1,218 Likes Received
    Costanzo at 14 or so makes sense, but at 9?
  3. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,208 Messages
    682 Likes Received
    I hard to believe that we will pass on Fairley twice.I wouldnt be surprised if our scouts think that Costanzo is better than smith.
  4. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Man, I am not likely Castanzo at #9 or 14. If we're going to trade back, I'd much rather have Sherrod.

I think Dallas may be falling in love by the fact they think they can utilize Castanzo at both OG and OT.
  5. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,643 Messages
    1,479 Likes Received
    Obviously the plan is to make the public think they like Smith less than they do to get him at 14. No chance they take Costonzo at 9.
  6. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Same here.

And I think it's stupid to say that we think one guy has better upside but we better take the guy who can play right away. Very stupid.

Could well be disinformation. This seems to me to be about the time Mosley gets the wrong picks, then a few days before the draft goes back to the more accurate picks (which are usually what he had earlier).

But then we are getting pretty close to draft time. I don't remember exactly when he became convinced we'd take Felix and also mentioned Jenkins.
  7. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,022 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    Yep basically we're going to take Castonzo or Watt regardless of who else is at 9 besides Peterson.

I guess that's why we're trying so hard to move down.
  8. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,643 Messages
    1,479 Likes Received
    I'd rather have Quinn, Watt or Jordan at 9 than Costonzo. I still say smokescreen either way.
  9. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Maybe they have Costanzo rated above Smith afterall, have no idea.

Or maybe its really close and they feel they can move down and still get him.

If we draft him, my preference is its after moving down some but the bottom line is if they are at 9 and cant get a deal they like, then if they are sure Costanzo can play from day one and be a solid to excellent starter for years to come it isnt a bad pick. They key thing is to make sure he's at the least a solid player.

I still think its gonna be Tyron Smith though.
  10. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,413 Messages
    1,021 Likes Received
    I actually believe him on this one. Castonzo has started 56 college games! He said they are nervous because Tyron will have a big learning curve and they have them rated pretty equal. My hope is we trade a couple of spots and get a 3rd and him.
  11. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Well, if the team actually wants Costonzo, I hope we can engineer a trade down to 14 or so. Either he or T Smith will be there most likely.
  12. Corleone

Corleone Well-Known Member

1,038 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    My question would be, since I am not very familiar with him, would Tryon Smith be able to start for us this season? If not, I think we have to consider a non-project no matter the potential. We have too many holes to fill to not draft a starter in the first round. If he can, do it, otherwise take a DE/DT like Quinn if possible, trade up for Peterson OR move down for Castonzo.
  13. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I almost wish Dallas would take Tyron Smith just to make Matt Mosley look silly.
  14. Anjinsan

Anjinsan Benched

727 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    To win in the NFL you have to be able to run the ball and stop the run. We didn't do either very well and need to improve both areas. Personally, I think we can improve the ability to stop the run more easily by improving the secondary via free agency. Garrett tried to run the ball but the team was so horrible at it when it counted, that he had to give up. I say go heavy in the draft for offensive linemen.
  15. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I actually laughed out loud
  16. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    actually I beilive we must pick before the Gaints at 18 to get Castonzo - Sherrod or Carimi

so I believe it a trade between 14 - 18

or its all a smoke screen an we are looking at Smith at 9
  17. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,643 Messages
    1,479 Likes Received
    I agree in theory but the Pack won a championship with no real running game. Pass protection more critical IMO.
  18. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Gosselin stated that Smith and Castonzo could be gone by 14. Furthermore, he stated that Tyron Smith was a real good pick at 9. He said if Dallas moves down, they probably will not get Smith.

Chris Mortenson stated on Twitter that Tyron Smith was worth the 9th pick (in response to someone calling him a reach at 9) and that Smith would have been a top 3-5 pick in the 2012 draft.

I heard this today from someone, and I'm going to look for it. The Titans head coach (a former offensive linemen) stated that he really liked Tyron Smith. Someone told me that Smith was one of the players discussed on the radio recently, and the Titans really like him. They (on the radio) stated that Smith is "rising".

While Smith is being talked down "by Mosley". Smith is being talked up by the Titans. It's interesting.

If your team has won one playoff game since 1996, you take the best player between Castonzo and Smith, and Smith is the best player. You should do that, anyway.
  19. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,472 Messages
    2,368 Likes Received
    They won't have to worry about the second time anyway, as he will be long gone.
  20. Corleone

Corleone Well-Known Member

1,038 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    So I assume he is ready to start at RT for us then If so, I'm all for that pcik.