1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Most of You Know the Story About The Redskins Fight Song...

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Hostile, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,086 Messages
    3,070 Likes Received
    ...but did you know this?

Clint Murchison had a backup plan in case Redskins owner George Preston Marshall did not blink over the rights to "Hail to the Redskins."

A man named Bobby Baker was hired to be a deal broker with a powerful Senator named Estes Kefauver. (Do not make this political when you respond please.) The deal involved Baker delivering $25,000 to Kefauver who was the chairman of the Senate committee overseeing monopolies.

George Preston Marshall had a monopoly in the south with his Redskins Television Network. He did not want any other team below the famed Mason - Dixon line. Hence the original words to the Redskins fight song saying "fight for old dixie" where they now say "fight for old DC."

Bobby Baker sought the assurance that the anti-monopoly committee of the Senate would look closely at the Redskins monopoly.

Well, amazingly the committee did notice the Redskins and surprise, surprise (wink, wink) they did find them to be a monopoly. $25,000 will make things happen in those days.

Marshall hoped to delay the Cowboys entry for 1 year, mentioning in fact that the 1960 NFL Draft was already past and the Cowboys couldn't Draft to build their team. Tex Schramm pointed out the creation of the AFL having a team in Dallas. The NFL had to have a team in 1960 or they would fail miserably.

Marshall's kingdom was being attacked from every angle and he had nothing left to fight with. He bought back the rights to the fight song, closed down his TV networks, and lost his Monopoly. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.00.

At every possible point of attack, Clint Murchison took the upper hand and won. Okay, so this was a bit underhanded. Clint was no saint. He could be ruthless.

The total cost to start the Cowboys, $625,000.00 counting the $25,000.00 assist from a US Senator. Hey, he got back $2500.00 of it from Marshall. He also got the team. The rest is History.
  2. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I remember that name. I think he was very tight with LBJ, but got mixed up in some sort of call-girl ring scandal. Or something to that effect.
  3. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,917 Messages
    1,383 Likes Received
    Dang Hos. You never cease to amaze me with these jewels of information.
  4. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,921 Messages
    426 Likes Received
    I never knew the whole fight song deal until I read " Cowboys have always been my heroes "
  5. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,068 Messages
    660 Likes Received
    That book is sitting right here, next to my monitor. Great read, even if I'd prefer a little more narration in between the lengthy quotes.
  6. Manster68

Manster68 Well-Known Member

1,611 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    I was just telling me this story to one of the guys at work. He still insisted the Cowboy-Redskin rivalry didn't start until the 1970s.

He just thought that the Meridith-Jergensen years did not warrant that to "rival" status.

He just thought the Dallas-Cleveland rivaly was better.

Oh well, he has the right to be wrong.
  7. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    George Preston Marshall is probably my most hated person ever to have anything to do with the NFL. I hated the Redskins in the early 60s even though they were no threat to us, and in fact were one of the few teams we could beat regularly in those days.

Marshall was a racist and was the last owner to sign a black player, 16 years after the Rams and Browns did in 1946. Even then he only did it because Kennedy threatened him with legal action. The guy was a piece of crap and should have been squashed a long time before then. Although it has never been proven, I believe Marshall was instrumental in getting black players OUT of the NFL in 1932 when they started their franchise as the Boston Braves.

Here is a quote from an article at Wiki:
    In a way I was glad that the Redskins were reluctant to sign black players in the early 60s because it meant that they sucked just that much more.

It has always burned me that that sack of garbage is in the HoF, and was inducted in 1963, the initial class of induction.
  8. Hostile

119,086 Messages
    3,070 Likes Received
    I've got one that to my knowledge has never been printed.

Yet...
  9. Birdlives

Birdlives Member

42 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There's no getting around it. George Preston Marshall was and always will be a profound POS.

Much of the reason that the local area is infused with cowboys fans is a direct result of his influence.

Now here comes Snyder. He's basically turning yet another generation of DC natives off this team by being a giant turd.

If I was a cowboys fans I'd be a huge Dan Snyder fan.
  10. Hostile

119,086 Messages
    3,070 Likes Received
    You're lucky to have him, and ironically so are we.
  11. Hostile

119,086 Messages
    3,070 Likes Received
    I won't post the article because it is political in nature, but your comment intrigued me to look him up on Wikipedia. It was actually quite fascinating to read.
  12. BehindEnemyLinez

BehindEnemyLinez Optimist Prime

2,234 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Hos= Cowboys' historian supreme! You're full of it, ain't ya (and I mean that in a good way ;) )?
  13. Hostile

119,086 Messages
    3,070 Likes Received
    I love this stuff. I could read stuff from every football teams History all day long and never tire of it. I hope it never bores you guys here when I stumble across stuff.
  14. BehindEnemyLinez

BehindEnemyLinez Optimist Prime

2,234 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Never. I always feel a l'il wiser after reading one of your historical posts! I'll admit, I usually regurgitate it to my friends and family to make myself look good!!! You know, just spreading the knowledge...:)
  15. Hostile

119,086 Messages
    3,070 Likes Received
    Hey there is nothing at all wrong with that. I am finding the stuff from other sources and sharing it for exactly that purpose.
  16. fgoodwin

fgoodwin Active Member

1,162 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Great story and thread -- but why isn't this in the History Zone?
  17. Hostile

119,086 Messages
    3,070 Likes Received
    Maybe one day it will be. We usually move threads later. Never while it is on page 1 though.
  18. fgoodwin

fgoodwin Active Member

1,162 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    OK -- so what threads (if any) should be created within the History Zone to begin with?
  19. Hostile

119,086 Messages
    3,070 Likes Received
    You can create any there that you want to as long as they are Cowboys History. That's my favorite forum here as you might have figured out. I have some new info I am getting ready.
  20. fgoodwin

fgoodwin Active Member

1,162 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Cool -- that's also my favorite.

Instead of wading through dozens or even hundreds of threads about current topics to find or two historical topics, it would be much easier to find threads like this one if all historical threads were actually started in the History Zone.

Which is why I asked the question about this thread.