1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Mr. Cowboy

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Bob Sacamano, May 12, 2006.

1. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,561 Likes Received
    You really missed out on a great generation.
  2. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    indeed, just reading about them gives me a swelling of pride, I can't even imagine actually watching them and rooting for them on the field, although Staubach does make appearances at Navy games that I attend here in Annapolis
  3. JackMagist

JackMagist The Great Communicator

5,726 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wouldn't call any of them "Mr. Cowboy" that is and always will be Bob Lilly...the teams 1st ever #1 draft pick and a fixture for many years.

But of the guys you listed (and I can't think of any others who fit better) the one who reminds me of the role that Lily filled for the team was Darren Woodson. HE was the tough, solid fixture on defense who always came to play and was a leader on the field and in the locker room. They were both great people off the field and represented the team well wherever they were.

Each of the others had their own correspondent on the earlier teams:

Emmitt - Perkins then Dorsett (Calvin Hill in between but to a lesser extent)
    Troy - Merideth then Staubach
    Irvin - Hayes then Pearson
    LA - Rayfield Wright

But the one who always exemplified the same work ethic and values and had the same type of impact as Lily was Woodson IMO.
  4. dougonthebench

dougonthebench Cowboys Forever

2,403 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    the NFL's All Time Leading Rusher--Mr.Emmitt Smith!!!
  5. Rockytop6

Rockytop6 Well-Known Member

2,072 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    l. Bob Lilly
    2. Roger Staubach
    3. Emmitt Smith

Old Geezer
  6. jackrussell

jackrussell Last of the Duke Street Kings

4,162 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Originality would be the best policy here. Like an old Al Stewart song says, "if it doesn't come natural, leave it". Giving someone a nickname for the sake of having a nickname usually results in a definite reach. Nothing could possibly be more of a reach than giving one that someone already has. I mean if we're going to play that game, how about Chris 'Too Tall' Canty, Demarcus 'Manster' Ware, heck, 'Orange Julius' could simply be the 'Juice'.

While I understand where you're trying to go with this, it should be noted Emmitt Smith will always be remembered as a 'Triplet', and that in the history of all sports, there is no more of a flattering referral than that of just an actual first name. 'Emmitt' certainly fills that bill.
  7. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,127 Messages
    3,207 Likes Received
    Post of the day.
  8. Manster68

Manster68 Well-Known Member

1,611 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    There isn't one for this generation.

There will always be one true Mr. Cowboy.
  9. GhettoxCowboy

GhettoxCowboy Dem Boyz

1,773 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    i would say troy aikman, and emmit they were awesome
  10. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,558 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    regardless of who is mr. cowboy, the discrepancy between young and old is fascinating
  11. Chrissyboy

Chrissyboy Member

401 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Sorry guys -

There isn't a Mr Cowboy in recent years. Bob Lilly was deemed as much for his image as his high quality play and synonymity with the 'boys.

I would not like to claim Larry as such - not such a leader, lacking charisma....
    Mike Irvin has WAY too many off the field issues.......Emmitt lost his reputation by pouring out the nonsense about,'..diamond amongst'...... Troy just takes his professional non-bias too far, and seems to lack the support that I'd expect.....

Woody would be as close as any for me. But I still wouldn't like to suggest Mr Cowboy.

Am I unduly harsh, with expectations that are too high? Maybe, I don't care!

[Soapbox off]
  12. BLEU3ASY

BLEU3ASY Member

740 Messages
    1 Likes Received
  13. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,127 Messages
    3,207 Likes Received
    Great post. Summarized exactly why the title was bestowed on Lilly and why others fall short without disparaging them.
  14. Chief

Chief "Friggin Joke Monkey"

8,541 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    [IMG]

Bluto: "Dorfman, you're Delta name is Flounder."

Dorfman: "Flounder? Why Flounder?"

Bluto: "(Belch) .. WHY NOT?"
  15. royhitshard

royhitshard New Member

945 Messages
    0 Likes Received