1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Must win, no win situation for Tony

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by dfense, Dec 25, 2012.

1. dfense

dfense Well-Known Member

2,424 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    In all reality, Romo's play of late, has probably gotten the team farther than they should have gotten with all the injuries they have had on defense.

Going forward, even if Tony throws 4 TDs and they get past the Skins, Romo is going to have to win at least one playoff game to shake a little of the "choker" label so many have saddled him with.

Could you imagine having to play a Seattle team coming off a three game run averaging 45 points? Without five defensive starters and possibly Ware out also?

Romo essencially has to win the next two games by himself just to get the monkey off his back. It's really too bad that injuries have unfortunitely robbed Romo of his time to shine. He can't catch a break.
  2. GusTheo

GusTheo Member

157 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    The thing is though, as unlikely as it may be, it's possible!

The defense doesn't have to play great, it just needs to play OK. If the defense plays OK, and just makes a timely stop here or there the Cowboys will have a chance to beat anyone.

And as far as I can tell, most of the national media has been pretty fair with Romo this year. Granted he's played out of his mind, I've been hearing a lot of "The Cowboys would win maybe 3-4 games a year if Tony Romo wasn't the QB, he does stuff that maybe only Big Ben and Aaron Rodgers can do" type comments (Which is true).

EDIT: But let's not feel sorry for him either. It wasn't easy for anyone. You want to win, you have to do what it takes. Romo will be the first one to admit that if he wants to shake this "label" then he has to win. Doesn't matter if the defense is ravaged by injuries or not, the Cowboys have been in every game up this point, and even though the defense got torched against a top flight offense last week, it doesn't change the fact that we won the OT coin toss last week. If we would've marched down the field and scored a TD, Brees never would've touched the ball. Cowboys offense could've kept their own defense off the field. I'm not blaming the offense, they did score 31 points, and had a sick come back, but it doesn't change the fact that they had the ball first and weren't able to close the game out, that ultimately falls on them, not the D.

(I am in no way shape or form blaming the offense, or giving the defense a pass)
  3. cowboyfan4life2

cowboyfan4life2 Well-Known Member

1,093 Messages
    175 Likes Received
    Great qbs put their team on their back when it matters most, if tony wants to be elite, he needs these next two games.
  4. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,714 Messages
    1,056 Likes Received
    Right, cause nobody ever helps Romo. Dez didn't help Romo with his underthrown balls the other day? Dez taking it to the house on a 10 yard pass was all Romo right? Romo has a chance to be a leader and lead his team to the playoffs against a team that has just as bad of a defense an OL as we do. Never mind the Seattle game, he will impress a lot of us with simply winning a "Win and you're in" game.
  5. ufcrules1

6,714 Messages
    1,056 Likes Received
    Agreed about great QB's putting teams on their backs and leading them. I would be beyond happy if he plays lights out against Washington and helps take his team to the playoffs.
  6. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

3,924 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    Romo has had a great year, period. Can't ask anything more from him than what he has done.
  7. Arkyvarminter

Arkyvarminter Active Member

935 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    Tony Romo will be labeled a "choker" by the media and fans alike until he wins a SB. There are two types of people who label Romo a choker, the media and people who don't know football. He is the QB for America's team and being scrutinized, labeled, and even hated goes with the territory. IF I could play any position in the NFL for any team, QB for the Cowboys would be my last choice. Tons of pressure and the spotlight is alway shining bright on Romo. He HAS to win a SB to quiet the critics and that is really not fair since he has done really well in the NFL and is highly regarded by those who aren't biased for one reason or another. Winning another playoff game won't change their mind....
  8. ufcrules1

6,714 Messages
    1,056 Likes Received
    I disagree. I think if he wins a few "win and you're in" and playoff games he will get a hell of a lot more respect from the non homers, media, and realists.
  9. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,821 Messages
    1,606 Likes Received
    I want the team to win, regardless.
    But it had crossed my mind that by carrying the team further than maybe they really should go given the injuries and line, Romo could be giving narrow-minded fans more ammo if they are finally overmatched in the playoffs.

But so what.
    I want to win and let the chips fall.

Dez is ballin right now, so Romo isn't doing all the heavy lifting
  10. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Romo is not a choker by any stretch.

Really wish even his own fans would stop repeating this stuff

Turn off espn
  11. Arkyvarminter

Arkyvarminter Active Member

935 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    Lets face it, and this is no excuse but Romo has had little help getting a ring. He's never had even a decent D and a terrible Oline......Oh, i forgot, a coach...
  12. dfan32

dfan32 Member

259 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Exactly! Romo has handled it very well though. Unfortunately all media has degraded to tabloid journalism and in many cases, they're not even good at that.
    They should be asking themselves what it takes to become an elite journalist because it's obvious very few of them have any idea what a journalist is, much less "elite".
  13. ufcrules1

6,714 Messages
    1,056 Likes Received
    The redskins have a beat up defense and oline too. I doubt you hear the excuses from them though. Our team is fine and the Oline has played great the last 2 games. Sure, the Redskins can score on our defense but we can easily score on tiers too.

With regards to Seattle, they are the dark horse that nobody wants to play but any given Sunday and we can beat them. If we could hang with Atlanta for that whole game then we can hang with Seattle at home too.
  14. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,307 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    :hammer:
  15. cowboyfan4life2

cowboyfan4life2 Well-Known Member

1,093 Messages
    175 Likes Received
    I don't agree, Marino won a lot of playoff games, and still got labeled with that tag, granted romo isn't in the Marino class, but it comes down to winning the big one.
  16. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,821 Messages
    1,606 Likes Received
    Who was talking about the Redskins? It would not surprise in the least if Dallas won at Washington.

And yes, any given Sunday is true regarding Seattle and SF.
  17. aikemirv

aikemirv Well-Known Member

7,081 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Tony is elite, but he does not play defense. This won't end this year. This team does not have the defense to make it.

Like the OP said - it is a no win situation for Tony this year unfortunately
  18. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,603 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Yeah I wouldn't be excited at all to play the Seahawks, they are really a team setup to beat us. Great secondary and running game, makes it hard to come back against them once they get ahead of you. We would have to have a good start to the game (something we don't do alot of at all), and jump out to a lead to give us the best chance to win.

We can beat them, but it is a nightmare matchup for us if it happens.
  19. aikemirv

aikemirv Well-Known Member

7,081 Messages
    37 Likes Received

I find it funny how the other day you were saying how great a play Eli made in throwing the ball up in a place Tyree could get it but you won't give that same credit to Romo.

A bit of bias showing through there!!!
  20. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    BS. It's a team sport. If Romo plays lights out and we lose it doesn't make it his fault.

:hammer:

Which is why ufool is on my ignore list.