1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

My best mock yet.

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by sureletsrace, Apr 19, 2012.

1. sureletsrace

sureletsrace Official CZ Homer

2,075 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    Just going to jump right into it. I'm using the top 250 rankings from CBSSports.com. Not doing any trades.

14 | Mark Barron (S, Alabama) -- Big upgrade over anything on our roster, and his ability to 'quarterback' our defense will pay huge dividends. He's not just a box safety. He's got excellent ball skills and can cover RBs and TEs just fine. If all goes according to plan, he shouldn't need to cover WRs, except providing help over the top. He's a hybrid of a classic ball-hawking center-fielder and pound-you-down safety.

45 | Amini Silatolu (OG/Midwestern State) -- Could potentially be the starter come kickoff. I feel like the coaching staff sees something in Bernadeau and Livings, but if they don't pan out this guy could be playing sooner than later.

| Ben Jones (C/Georgia) -- Hungry competition for the starting center job. Would probably walk on as the best Center on the team, sadly. He's been described as a high-floor, low ceiling guy. I want to win while Romo is still in his prime. Ben Jones would be progress towards that goal.

| Ryan Broyles (WR/Oklahoma) -- Bursty, wiggly slot WR. He's not the fastest guy on the field, but he's more than likely the most elusive. He can wiggle, spin, and juke at full speed which is what makes him dangerous. Excellent hands as well and a good route runner.

| Jonathan Massaquoi (OLB/Troy) -- I want DeMarcus Ware tutoring him. Same position, same Alma Mater be damned, Jonathan Massaquoi could start in the NFL within 2 years at SOLB. He's got the size, strength and pass rushing skills. He needs polish. He tends to be overaggressive at times, causing him to misread plays and force himself out of it. DeMarcus Ware could work with him. The physical talent and pass-rushing ability is there.

| Shaun Prater (CB/Iowa) -- Immediate special teams ace at gunner, upgrade over Alan Ball. Very aggressive in his play, gets physical at the LOS. Main concerns are peeking into the backfield, giving ground on double moves.

| Nick Foles (QB/Arizona) -- Could supplant McGee as the #3 QB. Big potential. I admit I do not know a whole lot about him, but from everything I have read, I like it. He's got excellent size for the position at 6'5" 243lbs. He reads defenses well, has excellent pocket presence and awareness, uses good fake moves to hold defenses. Has a short memory and plays very calm and even-keeled. Good arm strength to make all the passes. Needs work on his footwork, internal clock, and ball security.

|Josh Norman (CB/Coastal Carolina) -- Another special teams monster, another big upgrade for depth at CB. Very confident in his ability. A not-as-good Asante Samuel. Will occasionally give up the big play, but has the ball-hawking skills to make plenty himself. Baits quarterbacks into making bad throws, using excellent hand-eye coordination and burst to get back to the ball and rip it out of the receiver's hands mid-catch.

UDFA: 1-5 stars represent how bad I want this person.

(**...) Janzen Jackson, FS, McNeese State
    (****.) Shawn Powell, P, Florida State
    (****.) Levy Adcock, OT, Oklahoma State
    (**...) Buddy Jackson, CB, Pittsburgh
    (***..) Bryce Brown, RB, Mississippi
    (***..) DaJohn Harris, DT, USC
    (*****) George Bryan, TE, North Carolina State
    (****.) Ryan Miller, OT, Colorado
    (****.) Matt Conrath, DE, Virginia
    (***..) Donte Paige-Moss, OLB, North Carolina
    (****.) Nicolas Jean-Baptiste, DT, Baylor
    (***..) William Vlachos, C, Alabama
  2. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Bro, Josh Norman is a projected 2nd round pick.
  3. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I like it! Not sure about Ben Jones, I like him but he seems a bit undersized and has maxed out his growth for the most part.

That would be a steal for Norman.
  4. sureletsrace

2,075 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    I used cbssports prospect rankings. I found it odd he was ranked so low, but I took advantage of it. If he's not there, you go Akiem Hicks or best defensive player available.
  5. sureletsrace

2,075 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    Also, I think you're thinking of Josh Robinson of UCF.
  6. sureletsrace

2,075 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    Would love more opinions on this mock, I worked on it for a few days before putting it out. Some of the UDFA's really intrigue me. I'll break down a few of them.

Janzen Jackson, FS, McNeese State - Would most likely play CB in the NFL. Would compete for the last CB spot.

Shawn Powell, P, Florida State - Excellent punter with great accuracy at pinning inside the 10 and coffin-corner punts.

Levy Adcock, OT, Oklahoma State - We need more OT depth, or at least someone to push Jeremy Parnell.

Buddy Jackson, CB, Pittsburgh - Off-the-charts measurables. Runs the 40 in the low 4.3's, and had a 11'9" broad jump at Pittsburgh's pro day. For comparison's sake, the best broad jump at the combine was 11'1".

Bryce Brown, RB, Mississippi - Was the #1 recruit in the nation out of high school, but his collegiate career was very disappointing. As a matter of fact, he was ranked as a better prospect out of high school than Trent Richardson. He rushed for 7,209 yards in HS. Unreal. I pick him up as a UDFA just to see if there is any glimmer of hope for him.

DaJohn Harris, DT, USC - 5-star prospect out of high school. He's got a PFO (patent foramen ovale) which is some sort of heart condition. He's been medically cleared to play, but has plummeted out of the top 250 prospects, where previously he was slated to go in rounds 3-5. His NFL comparison is Corey Peters. A project.

George Bryan, TE, North Carolina State - I loooove this guy. I'll just post his CBS Sports analysis.

Strengths: Has hands of glue, about as good as you'll see in the sport of football. Excels finding soft spots in zone coverage and using his large frame to shield defenders. Quality blocker. Has enough power and bend combined with good technique which consistently results in successful blocks. Productive, durable, experienced leader -- top intangibles.

Weaknesses: Is a bit high-hipped and slow to get rolling. Frame limits upside as a blocker. Isn't agile for a tight end. Might have real trouble getting open at the next level. Will have to answer questions from NFL teams about drug charges that were ultimately dropped.

NFL Comparison: Bear Pascoe, New York Giants

Ryan Miller, OT, Colorado - A very large man. 6'7", 321lbs. He's got NFL size, strength, and agility. He played OG in college, but would obviously be an OT in the NFL. He's got an extended analysis on CBSSports.com that brags on him.

Matt Conrath, DE, Virginia - Oh. My. I'd call this guy first as soon as I turned in my last draft pick. 6'8", 290lbs.

Strengths: Good quickness off snap on most plays. Is highly athletic for his size and frame. Has enough bend and hip fluidity for effective double and spin moves, and got consistent penetration from the 4-3 DT position against BCS competition. Long arms and quality hand placement add to the arsenal. Is terrific at blocking FGs, and knocks down a lot of passes too.

Weaknesses: Frame limits ability to anchor and overall power, as center of gravity is just too high, even with good knee bend, to remain at interior DL in the NFL. Frame may also limit agility needed to succeed at DE. Has a tendency to get tall if initial move fails. Needs better and stronger hand play as well as additional moves. Ends up on the ground too often.
    NFL Comparison: Calais Campbell, Arizona Cardinals

Donte Paige-Moss, OLB, North Carolina - Highly skilled athlete with lots of baggage. Give him the UDFA minimum and a chance. Has the skills of a first-round OLB.

Nicolas Jean-Baptiste, DT, Baylor - Incredible strength. Hard worker. Needs to exhibit his dominance more consistently as he can disappear at times. Another D-Line project.

William Vlachos, C, Alabama - A little short for the position at 6'1". He makes up for it with his strength, intelligence, and nastiness.