1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

My Birthday Mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by overseas, Feb 21, 2012.

1. overseas

overseas Benched

81 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    trade down get a extra 2nd or 3rd

1 Dont’a Hightower, OLB/ILB

Hightower, as the captain of a dominant national champion defense, accumulated 85 Tackles, 11 TFL, 4 Sacks, 1 Int, 8 QB Hurries, 1 FF, and 1 Fumble Recovery. His talent level and skillset are elite and complete, and he feels both high-floor and high-ceiling.
    Regular blitzer because of his size and strong hands. Does not have elite edge speed but started to beat tackles with quickness and violent hands consistently. Shows some situational DE potential. Strength to rock back tight ends and linemen with initial contact

2 Vinny Curry, OLB/DE, Marshall

2 or 3 Chase Minnifield, CB/KR, Virginia

3 Josh Norman, CB, Coastal Carolina

4 Senio Kelemete, OG, Wash

5 Akiem Hicks, DT/NT, Regina University

6 Tysyn Hartman, FS, Kansas St

6 Chandler Harnish, QB, Northern Illinois

7 Rhett Ellison, TE, USC
  2. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    I could live with this if we were able to pull it off. Maintain Robinson and Fiammetta in FA and sign Nicks/Grubbs and we are good to go.
  3. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    happy birthday
  4. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,327 Messages
    4,854 Likes Received
    I like to over-analyze mocks...so here goes...

Hightower, as the captain of a dominant national champion defense, accumulated 85 Tackles, 11 TFL, 4 Sacks, 1 Int, 8 QB Hurries, 1 FF, and 1 Fumble Recovery. His talent level and skillset are elite and complete, and he feels both high-floor and high-ceiling.
    Regular blitzer because of his size and strong hands. Does not have elite edge speed but started to beat tackles with quickness and violent hands consistently. Shows some situational DE potential. Strength to rock back tight ends and linemen with initial contact
    As an ILB, I don't think he can handle coverage responsibilities in the NFL. There is a good chance that he runs slower than Bradie James did when he was drafted. He has the size to move to 3-4 OLB. I think he will be available in the 2nd.

He is a decent passrusher. Some people think he should only be drafted as 4-3 DE. I wouldn't be too upset if Dallas drafted him in the 2nd, but in your senerio, I think he might be available with your later 2nd round pick.

Safe pick. I don't know if he is the best pick for the Rob Ryan scheme because he is better in zone than in man coverage.

My favorite CB that will be available after the 1st round. He has the added bonus of having longer arms than most or all of the other CBs in this draft.
    He could end up going in the 2nd.

I like the player as a 4th round pick in general; however, Dallas already has multiple of this type of OLineman, quick but undersized. Probably needs a year to get bigger.

Love this pick in the 5th based on the reports. He is the only one on the list that I have not seen play. He has very long arms (35- 1/8") and is reported to be quick enough to play 3-4 DE in addition to NT. For comparison, Poe has 31-5/8" arms.

Ok player for the 6th round, but Dallas already has multiple Safeties on the roster with limited upside. I would like a late round pick that is raw but has terrific upside...someone like Desmond Marrow.

He is short with small hands. If their going to invest multiple years developing a QB, I would prefer that he had better measureables. B.J. Coleman is farther away from contributing, but is 6-3 vs 6-1.5 and has 10.25" hands vs 9.25" hands for Harnish.

7 Rhett Ellison, TE, USC
    Ok, but he is a similiar player to John Phillips, average size/blocker and average athleticism but is smart and competitive. If they didn't already have Phillips, I would like this pick better. I would prefer someone that is either a really good blocker or is more athletic than John Phillips.
  5. overseas

overseas Benched

81 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    my retort

As an ILB, I don't think he can handle coverage responsibilities in the NFL. There is a good chance that he runs slower than Bradie James did when he was drafted. He has the size to move to 3-4 OLB. I think he will be available in the 2nd.

Showcases good foot quickness for his size, natural balance when trying to change directions and can pick his way through the line of scrimmage. Doesn't have a great first step or great range sideline-to-sideline. But keys well, is fast enough and showcases a slight burst when closing into contact.
    Pass defense: Top zone awareness kept him on the field in passing situations despite average speed. Drops to first-down marker quickly and watches for crossers in front of him. Very aware of RB routes with effort to attack throws to the sideline. Lacks speed and short-area quickness to handle NFL slot receivers and better tight ends in man coverage; can struggle to track and catch up with misdirection. Manhandles receivers at the line of scrimmage

He is a decent passrusher. Some people think he should only be drafted as 4-3 DE. I wouldn't be too upset if Dallas drafted him in the 2nd, but in your senerio, I think he might be available with your later 2nd round pick.

Pass rush: Relentless and strong off the edge as a pass rusher when fresh. Gets under the pads of tackles to bull rush them into the backfield. Gives second and third effort to reach the passer. Uses his hands to swim past linemen. Struggles to beat cut blocks with his hands. Challenge interior linemen with quickness and strong hands when lined up inside.

Safe pick. I don't know if he is the best pick for the Rob Ryan scheme because he is better in zone than in man coverage.

Man Coverage: Well versed in press and off-man coverage. Generally gets an effective punch on the receiver at the line of scrimmage, staying square and riding him throughout the first few yards to throw off the timing with the quarterback.

Ball Skills: Competitive corner who times his leaps well in jump-ball situations. Long arms and good hand-eye coordination to slap away the ball just as it arrives. Possesses good hands for the interception, typically turning passes in which he has a reasonable chance at making a play into turnovers. Saw time as Virginia's punt returner. Possesses lateral agility to elude and quick acceleration when on the return.

Tackling: One of his better traits. Breaks down well when in the open field against elusive athletes. Closes on the ball-carrier in a hurry, making a clean, sure tackle. Technically sound tackler who lowers his shoulder into the ball-carrier with good hit-lift-drive form.

My favorite CB that will be available after the 1st round. He has the added bonus of having longer arms than most or all of the other CBs in this draft.

I like this kid also - Either way he has the talent to quickly match-up with NFL receiver at the next level.

I like the player as a 4th round pick in general; however, Dallas already has multiple of this type of OLineman, quick but undersized. Probably needs a year to get bigger.
    well I did not say he would be a starter - but at 6-4 #3OO I think he is what JG is looking for

A former defensive lineman who made the move to guard in 09' before switching to left tackle as a junior in 2010. Possesses a naturally strong frame with a thick lower half. Won the teams offensive lineman weight room honor in 2010 and plays up to his weight room numbers.

so this kid HAS A MEAN STREAK

Love this pick in the 5th based on the reports. He is the only one on the list that I have not seen play. He has very long arms (35- 1/8") and is reported to be quick enough to play 3-4 DE in addition to NT. For comparison, Poe has 31-5/8" arms.

Ok player for the 6th round, but Dallas already has multiple Safeties on the roster with limited upside. I would like a late round pick that is raw but has terrific upside...someone like Desmond Marrow.

there not much on this kid but I heard his name all during the Ark game

He is short with small hands. If their going to invest multiple years developing a QB, I would prefer that he had better measureables. B.J. Coleman is farther away from contributing, but is 6-3 vs 6-1.5 and has 10.25" hands vs 9.25" hands for Harnish

I seen Harnish play in three games - hes a tough kid

He possesses a solidly put together frame with natural thickness through his mid-section and the girth to take a pounding at the next level. He's a gutsy, tough kid and a "plus" leader who his teammates really seem to rally around. Is a good athlete both in and outside the pocket. He displays a natural feel inside the pocket, keeps his eyes down the field, demonstrates a good mental clock and exhibits good balance when side-stepping pressure. He can be a bit unorthodox at times and will change throwing angles at times when flushed from pressure, but he is accurate with the football on the move and generates some torque from the waist
    A gritty quarterback prospect who is accurate and can move the chains with his legs. A typical overachieving MAC QB who has been told all his life he's not good enough, but has enough to mature and develop into a reserve at the next level.

you forgot about B.J. Coleman's injury
    After senior quarterback BJ Coleman, from Chattanooga, went down with a shoulder injury - his throwing shoulder

Set 30 Northern Illinois passing, rushing and total offense records in four years as the Huskies' starting quarterback (see list). Three-time Academic All-MAC selection and was a first team All-MAC choice in each of his last two seasons. Led NIU to a 22-5 record in his final two seasons as a starter. Played in 47 games and started 45 over the past four years. First quarterback to lead NIU to four straight bowl games. Threw for 8,944 career yards on 687-of-1,110 passing for a 61.9 completion percentage with 26 interceptions and 68 touchdown passes. Rushed for 2,983 yards on 538 carries with 24 touchdowns and averaged 5.5 yards per carry. Compiled 11,927 yards of total offense to rank third all-time in the MAC behind only Marshall's Byron Leftwich and Dan LeFevour of Central Michigan, and was responsible for 92 touchdowns (24 rushing, 68 passing).

enuf said

7 Rhett Ellison, TE, USC
    Ok, but he is a similiar player to John Phillips, average size/blocker and average athleticism but is smart and competitive. If they didn't already have Phillips, I would like this pick better. I would prefer someone that is either a really good blocker or is more athletic than John Phillips

can certainly reach block on the edge, win on contact vs. backers and seal DE when need be. Is also comfortable in pass protection, understands angles, plays long and displays good coordination and range in space.

Showcases a smooth arm over, can keep himself clean and get into his route. Picks up speed as he goes and can get on top of backers and threaten the seam. Also, exhibits a snap out of his breaks in the pass game. Maintains balance, keeps his feet under him and cleanly changes directions on sharply breaking routes, getting his head around and will pluck the football. Uses his big body to shield defenders from the throw and isn't afraid to work the middle of the field and take a lick in order to hang onto the football
  6. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,305 Messages
    2,727 Likes Received
    Minnifield will not last until the 3rd round unless he comes out at the combine and runs a 5 second 40-yard dash.
  7. overseas

overseas Benched

81 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    heres an update

1 David DeCastro, G, Stanford

2 Harrison Smith, SS, Notre Dame

4 Jake Bequette, DE/OLB. Ark

5 Dominique Hamilton, DT, Missouri

6 Robert Blanton, CB/FS, Notre Dame

7 Rhett Ellison, TE, USC
  8. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    I loved the first mock. Replace Minnifield with Boykin and i'd say that's a dream scenario.
  9. xwalker

12,327 Messages
    4,854 Likes Received
    Hopefully, you don't consider my analysis as criticism or my reply as argumentative. I enjoy back and forth discussions about the draft. I usually learn something when someone defends their mock.

Showcases good foot quickness for his size, natural balance when trying to change directions and can pick his way through the line of scrimmage. Doesn't have a great first step or great range sideline-to-sideline. But keys well, is fast enough and showcases a slight burst when closing into contact.
    Pass defense: Top zone awareness kept him on the field in passing situations despite average speed. Drops to first-down marker quickly and watches for crossers in front of him. Very aware of RB routes with effort to attack throws to the sideline. Lacks speed and short-area quickness to handle NFL slot receivers and better tight ends in man coverage; can struggle to track and catch up with misdirection. Manhandles receivers at the line of scrimmage
    Your reply seems to support my analysis to some extent.
    : Lacks good initial burst and shows stiffness in hips. Will have man-to-man limitations. Spent more time working as an edge rusher on passing downs in 2011. Shows some savvy and power as a rusher.

Pass rush: Relentless and strong off the edge as a pass rusher when fresh. Gets under the pads of tackles to bull rush them into the backfield. Gives second and third effort to reach the passer. Uses his hands to swim past linemen. Struggles to beat cut blocks with his hands. Challenge interior linemen with quickness and strong hands when lined up inside.
    Again, I agree that he is a good passrusher. Coverage is the question.

Man Coverage: Well versed in press and off-man coverage. Generally gets an effective punch on the receiver at the line of scrimmage, staying square and riding him throughout the first few yards to throw off the timing with the quarterback.
    Ball Skills: Competitive corner who times his leaps well in jump-ball situations. Long arms and good hand-eye coordination to slap away the ball just as it arrives. Possesses good hands for the interception, typically turning passes in which he has a reasonable chance at making a play into turnovers. Saw time as Virginia's punt returner. Possesses lateral agility to elude and quick acceleration when on the return.
    Tackling: One of his better traits. Breaks down well when in the open field against elusive athletes. Closes on the ball-carrier in a hurry, making a clean, sure tackle. Technically sound tackler who lowers his shoulder into the ball-carrier with good hit-lift-drive form.
    The evaluations vary on this player. Again, I'm ok with the pick.
    : Is capable of holding up in majority of man-to-man situations but skill set indicates he might be best suited to play in a Tampa 2 or zone-heavy defensive scheme in the NFL.

I like this kid also - Either way he has the talent to quickly match-up with NFL receiver at the next level.
    Agree.

well I did not say he would be a starter - but at 6-4 #3OO I think he is what JG is looking for
    A former defensive lineman who made the move to guard in 09' before switching to left tackle as a junior in 2010. Possesses a naturally strong frame with a thick lower half. Won the teams offensive lineman weight room honor in 2010 and plays up to his weight room numbers.
    so this kid HAS A MEAN STREAK
    I like the player, he just seems the same as about 3 players that are already on the team.

there not much on this kid but I heard his name all during the Ark game
    I guess that I'm just frustrated with the team for cutting players in the secondary that have some upside like Josh Thomas in 2011. I know that Alan Ball, Frank Walker and Danny McCray were more ready to contribute in 2011, but keeping too many of those kind of players never allows for the possibility that a player like Josh Thomas could develop into a starter.

He is short with small hands. If their going to invest multiple years developing a QB, I would prefer that he had better measureables. B.J. Coleman is farther away from contributing, but is 6-3 vs 6-1.5 and has 10.25" hands vs 9.25" hands for Harnish
    I seen Harnish play in three games - hes a tough kid
    He possesses a solidly put together frame with natural thickness through his mid-section and the girth to take a pounding at the next level. He's a gutsy, tough kid and a "plus" leader who his teammates really seem to rally around. Is a good athlete both in and outside the pocket. He displays a natural feel inside the pocket, keeps his eyes down the field, demonstrates a good mental clock and exhibits good balance when side-stepping pressure. He can be a bit unorthodox at times and will change throwing angles at times when flushed from pressure, but he is accurate with the football on the move and generates some torque from the waist
    A gritty quarterback prospect who is accurate and can move the chains with his legs. A typical overachieving MAC QB who has been told all his life he's not good enough, but has enough to mature and develop into a reserve at the next level.
    you forgot about B.J. Coleman's injury
    After senior quarterback BJ Coleman, from Chattanooga, went down with a shoulder injury - his throwing shoulder
    Set 30 Northern Illinois passing, rushing and total offense records in four years as the Huskies' starting quarterback (see list). Three-time Academic All-MAC selection and was a first team All-MAC choice in each of his last two seasons. Led NIU to a 22-5 record in his final two seasons as a starter. Played in 47 games and started 45 over the past four years. First quarterback to lead NIU to four straight bowl games. Threw for 8,944 career yards on 687-of-1,110 passing for a 61.9 completion percentage with 26 interceptions and 68 touchdown passes. Rushed for 2,983 yards on 538 carries with 24 touchdowns and averaged 5.5 yards per carry. Compiled 11,927 yards of total offense to rank third all-time in the MAC behind only Marshall's Byron Leftwich and Dan LeFevour of Central Michigan, and was responsible for 92 touchdowns (24 rushing, 68 passing).
    enuf said
    QB is the hardest position to evaluate, IMO. I'm not worried about Coleman's injury because any 6th round QB is unlikely to contribute in year 1. Actually, now that I think about it, the injury could be an advantage in that they could stash him on IR and still carry another development QB on the active roster in 2012.

7 Rhett Ellison, TE, USC
    Ok, but he is a similiar player to John Phillips, average size/blocker and average athleticism but is smart and competitive. If they didn't already have Phillips, I would like this pick better. I would prefer someone that is either a really good blocker or is more athletic than John Phillips
    can certainly reach block on the edge, win on contact vs. backers and seal DE when need be. Is also comfortable in pass protection, understands angles, plays long and displays good coordination and range in space.
    Showcases a smooth arm over, can keep himself clean and get into his route. Picks up speed as he goes and can get on top of backers and threaten the seam. Also, exhibits a snap out of his breaks in the pass game. Maintains balance, keeps his feet under him and cleanly changes directions on sharply breaking routes, getting his head around and will pluck the football. Uses his big body to shield defenders from the throw and isn't afraid to work the middle of the field and take a lick in order to hang onto the football.
    I guess it is just personel preference when you get to the late rounds. I just want at TE that is clearly better than John Phillips at either blocking or receiving. Maybe George Bryan for Blocking or Evan Rodriguez for receiving and playing H-back/backup-FB. It would be good to have someone more suited to being the back FB since Fiammetta has some durability issues.

FYI - Happy birthday and if you're in the military thanks for your service to the country.
  10. overseas

overseas Benched

81 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hopefully, you don't consider my analysis as criticism or my reply as argumentative. I enjoy back and forth discussions about the draft. I usually learn something when someone defends their mock

no I don't take them as criticism - I enjoy hearing what other people have to say an contrubute

always looking for that edge

I am not that high on V Curry

unless he just goes crazy at the combine

*Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama, 6-4, 260, 1-2 Bigger and badder than your average inside linebacker, Hightower was only a freshman when he caught the attention of former Alabama teammate Rolando McClain. "He is a freak who can play any position on the field," said McClain, the No. 8 overall selection by the Oakland Raiders in 2010. Hightower was playing up to the hype until he blew out his left knee in 2009 and required reconstructive surgery on his ACL, MCL and meniscus. It wasn't really until last season that he was playing back to top form, which is comparable to a larger and more athletic Brandon Spikes (New England, second-round pick out of Florida, 2010). Hightower combines dutiful film work and great instinct to help get him quickly into position for plays and then his substantial physical abilities take over. He is a natural leader on and off the field and is known as a fanatic in the weight room who extols the virtues of good nutrition.

and I tend to agree with someone who has played with him

no offense

I guess it is just personel preference when you get to the late rounds

agreed
  11. overseas

overseas Benched

81 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    xwalker - I enjoy the good debates on who is who etc

plus can any of us really know

I just try and pick who I think is a need for the team
  12. xwalker

12,327 Messages
    4,854 Likes Received
    Good, I enjoy it also. Especially when someone is able to respond intelligently when someone posts a review of their mock.

I also like it when someone includes some interesting tidbits of info (i.e. "His teammate said...).

I see you posted a 2nd mock. I'll take a look at it later.
  13. overseas

overseas Benched

81 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    that second one was thrown together

but I like

Jake Bequette, DE/OLB. Ark - I know hes a tad slow - so in coverage he be lacking -

ANAYLYSIS

Strengths: Has a solidly-built frame with good upper body strength and tenacity, working hard to the ball. Plays fast with good initial quickness and closing speed to create havoc in the backfield. Possesses accurate snap anticipation and timing to beat blockers off the edge. Offers some versatility, rushing from a two and three point stance with the playing speed to stand up in space. Has good awareness against the run, setting the edge and holding contain. A relentless rusher with a competitive attitude and drive that are top-shelf -- overachiever and rushes like every play is his last. Possesses the strength to be a bull rusher and abuse blockers -- load to handle and will attract some holding penalties. Picks up energy as the game goes on and gets the most out of his ability. Team leader with a productive collegiate resume as a four-year starter (31.0 tackles for loss, 23.5 sacks and 8 forced fumbles), leading the SEC in sacks in 2011.

Weaknesses: Very average athletically with tight hips and straight-line speed. Shorter than ideal with average measureables. Possesses only average burst from a stationary position with body stiffness, lacking "special" explosion -- will struggle to win the edge at the next level. Not a natural bender, which limits his pass rush moves, and shows no secondary moves. Lacks overpowering strength and struggles to disengage at the point -- too often stonewalled off the snap. Has pedestrian hand placement and technique. Possesses streaky base strength and can be driven and redirected off the line of scrimmage in the run game. Needs to play smarter and control his aggression -- will hit too late at times. Needs to consistently bring down the ballcarrier once he get his hands on them -- doesn't always finish. Missed three games in 2011 with hamstring injury.
    NFL Comparison: Thomas Keiser, Carolina Panthers

Dominique Hamilton, DT, Missouri -

Hamilton is well overlooked and could get a boost from the down defensive line class. Hamilton is intriguing because of his overall body structure, deceptive athleticism, and potential to fill out to play nose tackle. There aren’t many players who can excel at nose tackle in the N.F.L. which makes Hamilton a potential rarity and he could see a boost in his stock

I like national football post has to say about himn
  14. rash

rash Member

859 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    What a mock! I like the emphasis on defense.

Happy birthday!
  15. xwalker

12,327 Messages
    4,854 Likes Received
  16. overseas

overseas Benched

81 Messages
    0 Likes Received

2 Kendall Reyes, DE/DT, Connecticu

2 or 3 Josh Norman, CB, Coastal Carolina