1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

My clothes dryer just died. Anyone have a current consumer reports for appliances?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Wimbo, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Man, I hate spending money on things like clothes dryers, washing machines, dish washers, etc. Always a big purchase, but never a fun thing to get. I guess it beats the alternative (hanging clothes outside).
    Any recommendations or reviews?
  2. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,388 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    You can buy a dryer for around 250 bucks that will last you ten years or more. That's not a big purchase to me. The most expensive dryers are just more gadgety...they still serve the same purpose.

You can buy a 2000 dollar dryer but if it lasts ten years even that is not really a big investment.

I bought a washer and dryer when I moved here and stayed in an apt while my house was built. I think I paid 700 bucks for the pair 8 years ago. I moved them into my house and dont care that they are not as fancy as the rest of the house, they do what they are supposed to and are still running strong. When they eventually die I will buy another cheap set if they last that long.
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,986 Messages
    3,192 Likes Received
    You could always go to amazon and look at them. By doing so you can read some of the reviews of users to give you an idea of what you may or may not want.
  4. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,557 Messages
    926 Likes Received
    Fix it if you can. They aren't that complicated if you can do stuff like that.

I made our original dryer last 25 years by fixing heating elements, switches, belts, etc.
  5. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,889 Messages
    3,834 Likes Received
    I pretty much agree with this.

Bought a set from Conn's appliance for $800 about 10 years ago. Only had one problem with the washer in that whole time and it was covered under my home warranty plan. They're both still going strong.

I'm a brand snob, but you can't go wrong with Kenmore, GE, or Whirlpool.
  6. SkinsandTerps

7,388 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    WG, I had to look but they are Whirlpool. I never even bothered to take the blue plastic off the tops of them. They look and work like new still.
  7. WoodysGirl

64,889 Messages
    3,834 Likes Received
    I just checked, as well, and I have a Whirlpool, too. But I did take the blue plastic off. lol.

I've thought of upgrading simply because I'm seeing the front-loading machines and they're a little bit more affordable now. I just can't make myself get rid of something that still works great, just cause something looks better.
  8. SkinsandTerps

7,388 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    haha.

When I bought these I figured I would just buy new ones when my house was finished. I moved them so I had them until I found something else and then it hit me...why bother ???

These work great still and there is no reason to buy until they break down. I look at them from time to time when I am at stores that have them but I am just seeing what they do that is so great to justify me trading up for one.
  9. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,196 Messages
    762 Likes Received
    Yeah, he might just want to look and see if its something simple like the belt. My dad always repaired ours if he could and those three are usually the culprit. I think you can find parts at sears and sears.com also.
  10. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,876 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    We've had our LG dryer for almost a year and it's been good so far. I highly recommend you go gas instead of electric if you have the hook up. I think I spent $100 more but have already saved that in electricity.
  11. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,510 Messages
    454 Likes Received
    We haven't used a dryer in over 9 years. We hang our clothes inside and we live in a 2BR apartment. Great on the wallet and great for the environment.

Dryers are a luxury the world can do without, imo.
  12. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,399 Messages
    1 Likes Received

ditto this it takes a tad more time but makes a huge difference
  13. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    virtually impossible with 2 young kids that go through 2 sets of clothes per day each, plus my wife (who is an exercise instructor) that goes through 2 sets of clothes per day, plus me who goes to gym or plays tennis 4-5x per week (in addition to work clothes). Add in towels and sheets... If we did that, our home would look like a tent community.
  14. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,399 Messages
    1 Likes Received

lol I know we are doing it I got 2 Boys 2 Girls the wife and I and sometimes even Grandma comes over to wash larger items and we started when they were small and my oldest son is now 20 and my youngest daughter is now 3...we hang them in the attic or down in the wash room or on a stand in the bathroom just be creative you might be surprised at how well it goes get the kids involved as soon as you can and soon you find great quality family time can be done hanging up clothes together...as they say it all comes down to "want to"
  15. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,143 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    If you do, spend the extra money for the stands you can get with them. I thought that I wouldn't care about having them, but now I wish I had.
  16. WoodysGirl

64,889 Messages
    3,834 Likes Received
    I know a few people who have the front loading machines, and they have the stands. It never even occurred to me to not get the stands. lol

Right now, it's a moot point. These things would have to go completely kaput for me to swap out.
  17. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,222 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    PM me and I will send you what I can from CR.com
  18. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,030 Messages
    255 Likes Received
    I have the same washer and dryer from 1995. All I had to replace was some $60 part on the dryer, I think it was a switch..

The washer needed a tightening once and that was like $59...

The brand is Admiral, not sure if they even make em anymore...
  19. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,143 Messages
    1 Likes Received

I did because I was afraid they would be too tall for me. I'm pretty short at 5'2 so adding the extra height of the stand was questionable to me. However, having to bend way over or squat down to get the laundry changed isn't all it's cracked up to be.
  20. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,335 Messages
    2,214 Likes Received
    About 3-4 years ago, I subscribed to "Consumer Reports" for a year.

It seemed that in just about every appliance category, Kenmore was rated at the top.

Whirlpool makes Kenmore appliances so there's some merit to why Kenmore rates so well.