1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

My Favorite 2012 Prospects

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Chris in Arizona, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,703 Messages
    539 Likes Received
    These are my favorite NFL prospects by position right now. Feel free to post your own or critique/praise mine.

Quarterback – Andrew Luck 6’4”/235 Stanford
    It’s cliché to say now but he is the best college quarterback prospect I have ever seen and that includes Troy Aikman and Peyton Manning. Whichever franchise lands him gets an immediate game changer. The Cowboys have almost zero chance at landing him but he is too good to not include on my list. He will go #1 overall, no matter which team ends up with the pick.

Runningback – Trent Richardson 5’11”/224 Alabama
    I would have been begging for this pick had we not just invested a recent high pick on DeMarco Murray. The kid is a freak in the weight room and will be a workhorse at the next level.

Wide Receiver – Nick Toon 6’2”/220 Wisconsin
    Alshon Jeffery and Justin Blackmon are the top 2 guys but I like Toon. I’d really like it if he somehow slipped to the 3rd round and the Cowboys took him.

Tight End – David Paulson 6’3”/242 Oregon
    Not a great draft for TE but with the likely departure of Martellus Bennett we may need to look here. Paulson isn’t a superstar but is very solid blocker and receiver.

Offensive Line – Peter Konz (C) 6’5”/315 Wisconsin
    Konz was neck-and-neck with Ohio State’s Michael Brewster but Konz has really impressed me in his last 2 games. Either player would solidify the Center position for the Cowboys for the next decade.

Defensive Line – Jesse Williams (NT and DE) 6’4”/320 Alabama
    A bit of a sleeper here who may not be come season’s end. He’s a JuCo transfer originally from Australia. He’s strong, surprisingly quick, and a little bit crazy.

Linebacker – Vontaze Burfict (ILB) 6’3”/250 Arizona State
    Speaking of crazy. IMO he is exactly the kind of nasty, physical defender our defense needs. He is a bigger, stronger, faster Ray Lewis.

Cornerback – Brandon Boykin 5’10”/183 Georgia
    If he was 2 inches talker he’s be a surefire 1st rounder. He still may fly up draft boards once they see what he does at the Combine. One of the better return men in college as well.

Safety – Markelle Martin 6’1”/198 Oklahoma State
    I’m undecided between Martin and TJ McDonald but to protect you all from my USC homering I’ll go with Martin. He has great speed (4.47 40) and is not afraid to throw his 198 lbs. around. He would give the Cowboys the first pure Free Safety in years.
  2. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,356 Messages
    762 Likes Received
    Great thread man..I can't get enough draft talk..even in October..thank you for your input.

Can you give us some info on McDonald? I've heard about him, don't know much about him and haven't really seen him play.
  3. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,424 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    Add
    ILB Luke Kuechly
    CB Morris Claiborne
    CB Chase Minnifield
    CB Desmond Trufant
    FS T.J. McDonald
    OG Cordy Glenn
    OG Kevin Zeitler
    OG David DeCastro
    OG Rishaw Johnson
  4. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,424 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    I like McDonald the best out of this safety class. HE seems to be all over the field.
  5. Chris in Arizona

3,703 Messages
    539 Likes Received
    TJ is fairly athletic (son of Tim McDonald, brother plays CB at UCLA), usually disciplined, and incredibly smart.

He had 2 picks last week vs Arizona which were the first interceptions thrown by Nick Foles this year.

The "usually disciplined" comes from the ASU games 2 weeks ago. Apparently TJ wanted to out-personal foul Vontaze Burfict or he watched some Taylor Mays YouTube highlights, but he had 3 costly late or illegal hit penalties.
  6. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,356 Messages
    762 Likes Received
    Does He have the cover skills to play in today's NFL? Is he a big hitter?
  7. Chris in Arizona

3,703 Messages
    539 Likes Received
    Yes and yes.. but I think he is better suited for Strong Safety at the NFL level.. USC (Monte Kiffin's) Tampa 2 defense lists their safeties opposite of traditional thinking. They list TJ as Free Safety and the other guy (Starling, Jones, or Wright) at Strong Safety. That Strong Safety is usually 12 to 15 yards off the line of scrimmage and is the last line of defense. TJ is "free" to line up all over the place in an effort to give him more opportunities to make plays.

Similar to the way they used Eric Berry at Tennessee and John Lynch with Tampa Bay.
  8. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Linebacker – Vontaze Burfict (ILB) 6’3”/250 Arizona State
    Speaking of crazy. IMO he is exactly the kind of nasty, physical defender our defense needs. He is a bigger, stronger, faster Ray Lewis.

boy Chirs I say him againest ILL and he looked lost out there

and was chasing plays

did not impress me at all
  9. Chris in Arizona

3,703 Messages
    539 Likes Received
    The coaches got on him after the first 3 games saying he had underperformed and was pressing too much. Since then he has settled down and looks like his normal, vicious self.
  10. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,782 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    Well let me get the Horns homerism out of the way first:

Defensive players: Kheeston Randall, Keenan Robinson, Emmanuel Acho, Alex Okafor, Blake Gideon

Offensive players: Cody Johnson, Fozzy Whitaker

Ok now on to the rest of my favorite players in the draft:

QB: Andrew Luck - Stanford
    RB: Trent Richardson - Alabama
    WR: Jarius Wright - Arkansas
    WR/TE: Dwight Jones - UNC
    OT: Jeff Adams - Columbia
    OG: Kevin Zeitler - Wisconsin
    C: Peter Konz - Wisconsin

DL: Devon Still - Penn St.
    ILB: Luke Kuechly - Boston College
    OLB: Courtney Upshaw - Alabama
    CB: Morris Claiborne - LSU
    FS: Aaron Henry - Wisconsin
    SS: Mark Barron - Alabama
  11. Chris in Arizona

3,703 Messages
    539 Likes Received
    How are you going to Longhorn Homer it up and not include Kenny Vaccaro?
  12. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,782 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    not sure if he is coming out this year.....all the rest will be in the draft. I have him on the 2013 list.
  13. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    I don't really follow college ball.

I didn't know who Burfict was until just recently but just watching some videos of him, he seems like a dousche.
  14. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,570 Messages
    1,426 Likes Received
    Sucker punched a team mate before the season.
  15. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Vontaze Burfict (ILB) 6’3”/250 Arizona State

I bet Ray could out run the kid

he looks slow an lost

IMO

againest Utah
  16. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,823 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    Lamar Miller.
  17. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Broderick Green RB
    Ark
    6-2 #244

theres our Hammer
  18. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jarius Wright WR ARK
    5-10 #180

Joe Adams WR Ark
    5-11 #190
  19. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    My Juniors

Alonzo Highsmith LB
    6-1 #240

Tyler Wilson QB
    6-3 #215
  20. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So, your draft would look like this:

1) Kheeston Randall, DL, Texas
    2) Keenan Robinson, OLB, Texas
    3) Emmanuel Acho, ILB, Texas
    4) Cody Johnson, FB, Texas
    5) Foswhitt Whittaker, RB/KR, Texas
    6) David Snow, C, Texas
    7) Blake Gideon, FS, Texas

And then, I'd imagine, you'd go out and sign the following undrafted rookie free agents:

Christian Scott, SS, Texas
    Malcolm Williams, WR, Texas
    Tray Allen, OT, Texas
    Justin Tucker, K, Texas

I just know that upon reading this, a little voice in the back of your head whispered "championship", you ol' homer...

The best thing about this list is it's so short; those 11 players are the only draft-eligible Horns I can find on NFL Draft Scout... this is an unusually short list for the Horns, but this is a young team...

For the rest of you, I'm just playing around... I'd purely hate that draft... of those 11 players, the only ones I'd really be interested in come draft day (and after) are Cody Johnson, Christian Scott and Justin Tucker...

BTW, I don't think that Okafor is draft-eligible... at least, NFLDS lists him as a 2013 prospect... have you heard something that he might come out early??