1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

My fellow Longhorns fans

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by Biggems, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,809 Messages
    136 Likes Received
    does Hartsin and his playcalling annoy you as much as it does me? i was looking forward to life after Greg Davis, but now I long for his days as a signal caller.

Also, how do you feel about Ash. I am honestly not impressed at all. I want more Chase McCoy. Yes McCoy fumbled twice last game, but sheesh, he was slammed by half the Sooner's D both times. Ash is an interception machine. When he isn't throwing INTs, he is holding the ball, and holding the ball, and holding the ball, and holding the ball, and taking the sack.

I want McCoy as the starter. I want to get rid of the cutesy playcalling. Use Cody Johnson at FB, run the I, alternating between Whittaker and Brown. Also utilize Graham more at TE. The completely ignored him these last 2 weeks, even though he had 3 TDs in one game this year. We would be so much better in the red zone if you utilized power football.
  2. Bonecrusher#31

Bonecrusher#31 Active Member

1,817 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    I see young talent at nearly every position except QB.

Neither of those jokers will amount to much...I suspect Mack will get some Blue Chip Frosh QB next year or maybe even go with a Juco.

On another note,Where's Silverbear ?!?!?!?
  3. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,259 Messages
    2,456 Likes Received
    I have no problem with Brian Harsin. His play calling is fine, in my opinion, but I think it's limited by two critical deficiencies: quarterback play and line play.

Over the past few seasons, the Longhorns' offensive line has been a terrible to middling run blocking unit. They get little push at the point of attack; consequently, quick hitters and power running plays are largely futile endeavors. Texas running backs might as well be slamming into brick walls at the line of scrimmage. Misdirection and deception plays (i.e. the dreaded "cutesy" play calling) is the only way of getting any substantive production out of the ground game.

I concede that, today, Harsin should've eased back on the slower developing running plays and gone with a more straightforward, power-ahead style -- especially at the goal line.

Quarterback play has been abysmal since Colt left. Gilbert was terrible. Ash looks like he's never thrown a ball before this season. And, clearly, the coaching staff has little faith in Case.
  4. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,335 Messages
    277 Likes Received
    You gotta wait it out and judge them after a few more games. That's why Mack Brown should've just chosen one from the first game and let them get experience and confidence against the easier teams. He kinda protected them by splitting snaps and while they won games, it really didn't help in their development.

Bonecrusher might be right though. Texas has Connor Brewer coming in next year though but will they go through this QB Limbo again? Eventually you just gotta see what you have. I'd continue to start Ash for the rest of the season and let him develop. Case McCoy just doesn't have the physical tools and it's too late to throw him into the fire now, he will look overwhelmed like he did vs. Oklahoma. If Ash sucks then make it another open competition next spring between all three.
  5. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,203 Messages
    307 Likes Received
    I think Harsin/Diaz could write a hell of a Keystone Kops skit.
  6. jimmy40

15,203 Messages
    307 Likes Received
    Case McCoy has a noodle arm and has no business being on scholarship at UT.
  7. StylisticS

StylisticS Well-Known Member

8,522 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    Agreed. Give Ash some time. He actually was starting to settle in as the game went on. But its clear that we need to be a running team. We took the ball out of Malcolm, Fozzy, and DJ Monroe's hands and put it in a player who made his first start of his career. We fell apart in the fourth because of it imo. That possession after the safety with over 7 minutes to go was terrible.
  8. jimmy40

15,203 Messages
    307 Likes Received
    what happened on that possession? I'm sick as a dog and missed it going to the restroom, forgot to pause the tv and didn't do back and see it.

I think a big problem that nobody seems to notice is our receivers can't get open against a team not named Rice/BYU etc. Besides the Oline can't block and QB's can't throw problem.
  9. coogrfan

coogrfan Well-Known Member

1,554 Messages
    235 Likes Received
    The same thing could have been said about Major Applewhite when he was a frosh.
  10. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    I think Ash is the best quarterback on the UT roster.
  11. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,771 Likes Received
    In my view this is just a young team built with a lot of freshman and sophomores. David Ash has made mistakes but I think he will learn from his mistakes as they move on.
  12. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

11,080 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    If McCoy wasn't named McCoy would you still want him?

Ash looks to have more upside IMO. He's still as green as it gets, but given some time i think he'll be ok
  13. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,771 Likes Received
    McCoy has not done anything to make me think he can't do the job regardless of his name. I do think the coaches feel Ash has more of an upside but in the end it will not come down to physical ability but mental ability. Much like the situation with Chris Simms and Major Applewhite. No doubt Simms had the better physical traits but Applewhite made plays.

I'm not going to say Ash will be the next Simms bit to early to know how this kid will progress but I'm not going to knock McCoy
  14. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,881 Messages
    1,478 Likes Received
    Do you think he is capable of being a FB? Just because he has size doesn't mean he is a good blocker. Texas offensive line isn't built for power football. They needed better linemen and have needed that for a few years now.
  15. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

11,080 Messages
    487 Likes Received

Not knocking McCoy at all, i just think a lot of people want him more cause of who his brother is then his actual ability. I would love to see him get a full game like Ash did to see what he can do but i'm not expecting Colt part 2 from him
  16. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,771 Likes Received
    I would hope he will get his oppertunity. He did have a higher ranking in high school football than Ash.
  17. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Case McCoy is supposedly transferring
  18. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,771 Likes Received
    Nothing more than a columnist rumor
  19. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's all over the big recruiting sites. Rivals, scout, 247, etc. Hard to believe it's nothing more than a rumor gven that Texas insiders are giving it so much attention.

McCoy and Darius White are both apparently very unhappy right now.
  20. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,771 Likes Received
    I don't think it is hard to believe that rumors take on a life of their own especially these days but does not make it fact.