1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

My guess is we were taking WR Greg Childs...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Apr 28, 2012.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,658 Messages
    2,676 Likes Received
    Watching the War Room it is my speculation that we were going to take WR Greg Childs.

The Packers had pick 132 and 133. After those picks the Cowboys got excited in the war room and the WR Coach was in the room shaking hands. Then the Vikings chose Greg Childs and all of a sudden the WR Coach was gone and Rob Ryan was in the room.

So I think we may have been primed to take Childs but the Vikings got him at 134 so we got S Matt Johnson instead.

Again, speculation on my part.
  2. preacher238

preacher238 Member

497 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Makes sense.....
  3. miamicowboy21

miamicowboy21 Active Member

2,836 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Tommy streeter from Miami is still on the board. I'd love to grab him.
  4. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

3,923 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    I would love Maize from Bama, but I seem to be alone on this one haha
  5. miamicowboy21

miamicowboy21 Active Member

2,836 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Streeter is 6'5 and can run. Surprised he hasn't gone. I want Brad Smelly TE from Bama in the 6th or 7th as well
  6. Awakened

Awakened the Dude abides

772 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    This is so frurstrating. If they wanted Childs, they should have taken him with the 18th pick of the 4th round. Most likely Kyle Wilber would have still been there at the end of the 4th round - I don't think teams were lining up to draft him.

This is typical - the Cowboys get cute and lose out on a player they want. I'll be shocked if Coale has a better career than Childs.
  7. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wow. Really disappointed that Childs was picked one spot ahead of the Cowboys... This wide receiver core needs to be challenged, and Childs had the tools to really compete.
  8. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    If that's true that's very upsetting, he was one of my pets but even if he wasn't he would have been a hell of a player for us.
  9. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,135 Messages
    1,314 Likes Received
    I think we wanted Trumaine Johnson too. It looked like the room sunk when he was picked.
  10. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,773 Messages
    107 Likes Received
    In yesterday's press conference, they said that Wilbur and Johnson were the targets in the 4th round. I don't think Childs was in the plans.
  11. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    We thought about taking a WR, but Ryan ate the WR coach and we took defense.
  12. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,773 Messages
    107 Likes Received
    Did you hear Jerry's remark about Ryan being upset that we actually used two of the picks for offense?
  13. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    he was joking around.
  14. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,006 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    Hmm. Interesting point.
  15. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

19,920 Messages
    584 Likes Received
    Originally I was with you, but the Cowboys claim that they wanted both Wilber and Johnson with the first 4th round pick and didn't think the other would fall to the last pick in the round. I don't know if they are being truthful or not but it does make some sense that they thought Johnson would be lost and were prepared to pick Danny Coale at that spot (since I think Jerry claimed Coale was ranked at the top of the 5th) then realized that Johnson wasn't drafted by the eagles/bears/jets afterall and was available.