1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

My Pet Cat, Cecil Shorts, Blew Up Today

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Hostile, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,387 Messages
    1,434 Likes Received
    Source: Cecil Shorts runs 4.35, 4.41 today at Pro Day

3/16/2011 2:56:12 PM

Aaron Wilson of the National Football Post reports Mount Union wide receiver Cecil Shorts ran the 40-yard dash in 4.35 and 4.41 seconds today at his Pro Day workout on a wet artificial turf, according to league sources with knowledge of the situation.

He only did the 40-yard dash today and didn't run routes due to the conditions.

Per a source, Shorts has 10 upcoming private workouts or visits scheduled.
    NFL scouts are enamored of Shorts' his speed, kick return skills and his potential to run the Wildcat offense if asked as a former quarterback.

Last season, he caught 63 passes for 1,106 yards and 17 touchdowns, running for one score, returning two punts for touchdowns and another kickoff return for a score after missing the first three games with an ankle injury.
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,915 Messages
    3,863 Likes Received
    I blew up a neighbor's pet cat once. It was pretty awesome.
  3. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Once again, the infamous pro day boost strikes again.
  4. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,665 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    From 4.5 to 4.3? I'll split the difference and say 4.4, but that's still plenty fast for a slot guy.
  5. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He ran an official 4.59 at the combine.
  6. Hostile

118,387 Messages
    1,434 Likes Received
    Which is exactly where I want him to play along with STs and Wildcat if we still do that crap.
  7. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

19,974 Messages
    610 Likes Received
    Whenever I blow up in my shorts, I keep it to myself.
  8. Hostile

118,387 Messages
    1,434 Likes Received
    Until now, because we now know you have.
  9. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,485 Messages
    1,986 Likes Received
    Yep...

Kind of like how everyone calls AOA a 4.3 (or even 4.2) guy off a supposed Pro Day time, when he's down for a 4.47 at the combine.
  10. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Exactly.... Draft this guy in the 4th or 5th round and solve two spots. Slot Receiver and Kick Returner.

We dont need anymore Dez or AOA injuries from kick returns anymore.
  11. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    RT is right, something is fishy, how these guys manage to boost their times like that.
  12. Hostile

118,387 Messages
    1,434 Likes Received
    The track at Indy is considered slow because it is so "spongy."
  13. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,494 Messages
    1,810 Likes Received
    Coaches are there. I'm sure they let people come out with their own stopwatches.
  14. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,385 Messages
    165 Likes Received
    Mount Union is a Divison III powerhouse.
  15. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's also my understanding that times tend to be a little slower at Indy because during the medical testing the day before, prospects are tested on the Cybex machine, which is designed to fatigue your legs...

I've often wondered why they don't do the workouts first, then the medical work... I've also wondered if this isn't part of the reason that top prospects have skipped Indy in years past...
  16. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Indy is not an especially slow track. Beyond that, everyone runs on it, so it's not as if it's an advantage or disadvantage to anyone.

Chris Johnson ran a 4.24 on it. Are we to believe he'd run a 4-flat on some other turf?

I'm surprised folks who follow the draft are surprised about Pro Day numbers. These improvements happen every year after the combine.

Guys train for weeks/months after the college season to prepare themselves for the combine and in an effort to specifically shave a tenth of a second off their forty-times. Then, just two or three weeks after the combine, some of these guys are miraculously shaving .2-3 tenths of second (ex. 4.7 to 4.4)?

In Jaquizz Rodgers case, he even somehow managed to gain some height. http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207338

The combine times are the only reliable, official and objective method to gather and measure players' metrics.