1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

My Second Mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboysfan31, Mar 25, 2012.

1. cowboysfan31

cowboysfan31 Active Member

1,292 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    In past years I've done mock drafts fairly regularly, but due to family problems I haven't done one for a few months this year. Since FA has started and some things are starting to fall in to place now seems like a good time to do one.

I enjoyed seeing the haul that the Rams were able to get from the Redskins, but now they are going to be competing against Peyton Manning. With that in mind I am doing this mock under the impression that DeCastro will be gone by our pick and the Rams will be looking to improve their team quickly. For fun I say that the Rams trade picks #33 and #39 for #14.

2(33) Kendall Reyes DL UConn 6'4" 299 Reyes has the strength to anchor against the run, and the quickness to add a pass rushing threat to our DL. Fletcher Cox is the big name right now, but Reyes matched or bested Cox in virtually all categories at the combine and is a much better value here.

2(39) Amini Silatolu OL Midwestern St 6'4" 311lbs Small-school LT with big time athletic ability. With our lack of depth at OT and OG, his versatility is a big plus. Despite the lack of competition he has shown that he is on the same level as Cordy Glenn and Osemele with room to grow.

2(45) Alfonzo Dennard DB Nebraska 5'10" 204lbs I know everyone is looking for a speedster at CB, but IMO Rob Ryan is looking for more physical play out of his DBs. Dennard isn't an elite athlete but he is a physical DB and has the attitude that our D has been lacking. His style of play reminds me of new Cowboy Brandon Carr.

3(82) Josh Chapman DL Alabama 6'1" 316lbs An unheralded part of Alabama's defense. Massively strong, he is an unmovable force in the middle of the line with underrated ability to create pressure. Played out the end of the season with a torn ACL, his heart and determination would be a big boost to our DL.

4(113) Ladarius Green TE Louisiana-Lafayette 6'6" 238lbs A real threat in the passing game behind Witten that we've been missing. He gives good effort as a blocker, though he still needs work in that area. I see him as a more raw version of Fleener.

5(144) Terrance Gannaway RB Baylor 6' 239lbs The perfect compliment to Murray and Jones. Gannaway has surprising speed, but his power in short-yardage situations, pass catching ability, and pass blocking are the main reasons for this pick.

Due to recent comments by Adam I am putting our comp. pick here at the end of the 5th instead of the 6th round like I've done in the past.

5 (comp) Jonathan Massaquoi DE/OLB Troy 6'2" 264lbs Comes from Ware's alma mater and even wore his number while he was there. Played out of position as a down lineman in a 3-man front but was still able wreak havoc. His technique is raw, but he is an explosive player who may flourish especially playing with Ware.

6(176) Duke Ihenacho S SJSU 6' 213lbs Moved back and forth between S and LB in his career. He was consistenly known as a playmaker throughout his college career causing 13 turnovers. Ran a 4.5 40 at his pro day and had a 39.5" vertical. Started playing football late and still has plenty of room to grow.

7(206) Eric Page WR Toledo 5'9" 186 First team All-American kick returner in 2010, and in 2011 he was first-team all-conference as a receiver, kick returner, and punt returner...what more could you want.

Its been awhile since I've paid alot of attention to these so maybe I'm a little rusty, but does anyone have any thoughts/feedback?
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,957 Messages
    9,037 Likes Received
    You lost me on the Manning reference. How are the Rams now competing against him?
  3. cowboysfan31

1,292 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Thats my fault...wasnt thinking clearly and mixed up the AFC/NFC west. Either way, the Rams are in a weaker division and with all the ammo they picked up now would be a good time for them to try to help Bradford out and take control of the division.
  4. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    We got robbed only getting #33 and #39 for #14 in Round 1. This is one time you can throw the trade value chart out the window. We see teams give up that plus next years #1 just to move back into the later part of round 1 all the time. Recently think Buffalo and Cleveland with the Cowboys.
  5. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,028 Messages
    5,380 Likes Received
    Good mock and good write-up.

I would be Ok with the trade. I really like the 2nd round this year.

2(33) Kendall Reyes DL UConn 6'4" 299 Reyes has the strength to anchor against the run, and the quickness to add a pass rushing threat to our DL. Fletcher Cox is the big name right now, but Reyes matched or bested Cox in virtually all categories at the combine and is a much better value here.
    Good pick and comparison. Reyes is very similiar to Cox, IMO.

2(39) Amini Silatolu OL Midwestern St 6'4" 311lbs Small-school LT with big time athletic ability. With our lack of depth at OT and OG, his versatility is a big plus. Despite the lack of competition he has shown that he is on the same level as Cordy Glenn and Osemele with room to grow.
    Good pick with good upside.

2(45) Alfonzo Dennard DB Nebraska 5'10" 204lbs I know everyone is looking for a speedster at CB, but IMO Rob Ryan is looking for more physical play out of his DBs. Dennard isn't an elite athlete but he is a physical DB and has the attitude that our D has been lacking. His style of play reminds me of new Cowboy Brandon Carr.
    This is the one pick that I really don't like, but I give you credit for acknowledging his shortcomings. Like you said, limited athlete at CB. I don't know if his style of having to get his hands on the WR would translate well to Safety either.

3(82) Josh Chapman DL Alabama 6'1" 316lbs An unheralded part of Alabama's defense. Massively strong, he is an unmovable force in the middle of the line with underrated ability to create pressure. Played out the end of the season with a torn ACL, his heart and determination would be a big boost to our DL.
    If you think he can create pressure, then OK. I don't think the Boys want a Run Stuffer only that can't pressure the QB.

4(113) Ladarius Green TE Louisiana-Lafayette 6'6" 238lbs A real threat in the passing game behind Witten that we've been missing. He gives good effort as a blocker, though he still needs work in that area. I see him as a more raw version of Fleener.
    Good pick if available here.

5(144) Terrance Gannaway RB Baylor 6' 239lbs The perfect compliment to Murray and Jones. Gannaway has surprising speed, but his power in short-yardage situations, pass catching ability, and pass blocking are the main reasons for this pick.
    I'm fine with BPA here.

Due to recent comments by Adam I am putting our comp. pick here at the end of the 5th instead of the 6th round like I've done in the past.

5 (comp) Jonathan Massaquoi DE/OLB Troy 6'2" 264lbs Comes from Ware's alma mater and even wore his number while he was there. Played out of position as a down lineman in a 3-man front but was still able wreak havoc. His technique is raw, but he is an explosive player who may flourish especially playing with Ware.
    I would prefer a passrusher earlier, but this is a good pick in the 5th.

6(176) Duke Ihenacho S SJSU 6' 213lbs Moved back and forth between S and LB in his career. He was consistenly known as a playmaker throughout his college career causing 13 turnovers. Ran a 4.5 40 at his pro day and had a 39.5" vertical. Started playing football late and still has plenty of room to grow.
    Excellent pick in the 6th. I didn't realize he ran 4.5 at his Pro Day.

7(206) Eric Page WR Toledo 5'9" 186 First team All-American kick returner in 2010, and in 2011 he was first-team all-conference as a receiver, kick returner, and punt returner...what more could you want.
    Ok, but I'd prefer my 5'9" WRs to be speedsters.
  6. cowboysfan31

1,292 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I honestly didn't look at the trade value chart or think about next year's draft when I was thinking about the trade. Two picks in the top ten of the second round seemed like a decent value to me at the time.

Other than the trade, how do you feel about the players?
  7. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    The only issue I have is with Green in the 4th, I know it's not a popular opinion around these part, he seems to be everyone's pet cat I just don't see him as NFL TE. He's not going to put on much weight or get much bigger, I actually like him better as a developmental WR much like Vincent Jackson. Either way, he has a lot of refining to do. He runs terrible routes and does not understand finding holes in the zone.

The other thing is Dallas is looking for a bigger TE that can factor in the run game. They brought in Kellen Davis for a reason and have soured on Egnew for the same reasons I dislike Green.

He is just not the type of TE they are looking for. Now don't get me wrong, I love Fleener and it would be hypocritical of me to talk about size then stay on the Fleener bandwagon but Fleener is a much more polished player, better in line blocker and has the ability to play at 250-260.

I think when we are looking TE's in this draft you have to look at guys like, Dwayne Allen, Rhett Ellison and George Bryan. TE's who can play at that 260 mark, come from programs where they were asked to do a lot of in line blocking and can offer something in the passing game as well.
  8. cowboysfan31

1,292 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I appreciate the feedback.

On Dennard I believe he is good in press man coverage which I believe we should use more of. If we can redirect the WRs coming off the line enough to confuse the QB, it gives our pass rush more time to get there. His first year I see him pushing Scandrick for playing time while refining his technique, but he is a well coached player that I believe would be a good insurance policy for next year.

Josh Chapman has been one of the strongest players on the Alabama football team pretty much since he stepped on campus, and he's also very good at using his hands to disengage from blockers. He's a great team player that does what he's asked to do. He has been surrounded by playmakers so for the most part he's been asked to occupy the middle of the line and let the people around him make plays, but when asked I believe he's got the ability to penetrate the backfield and cause disruption. Our line has struggled in short yardage situations for awhile now, and I believe that he could help out there but he can also be a disruptive force when needed. With Reyes being drafted earlier, and Chapman freeing up Ratliff I think our overall DL would be greatly improved.

As far as a pass rusher is concerned, I believe with Spencer's franchise tag and the rumor that we will run more 4 down lineman sets this year I think that solidifying the defensive line is more important than finding a pure pass-rushing LB. I also feel like Massaquoi is an under-rated talent that could blossom playing next to someone he looks up to like Ware.
  9. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,717 Messages
    686 Likes Received
    I can't see the team completely trading out of the first round, from the 14 spot, and only getting two second rounders. Yeah, they're high second round picks, but it takes a lot more than that to get a team to drop that far from that high of a position.

We were at 22nd when we traded with the Browns a few years ago. We got their high second and the next year's first, and that was from 22, not 14. They better be giving one of their two firsts from next year along with it, or it's not a good trade.
  10. cowboysfan31

1,292 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Thank you for your time to respond to my questions. I always appreciate and value input from people such as yourself. I do like George Bryan in the later rounds as well. I haven't been able to pay attention to football as much as I would like to lately. I was under the impression that we were looking for more of a receiving threat at TE. Losing Bennett does make sense for us looking for a more blocking oriented TE.
  11. cowboysfan31

1,292 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I realize we probably could get more out of the trade, however I wasn't necessarily looking at a trade value chart or thinking about next year's draft for this scenario. Lower round picks in this draft didn't add much value for me and it's impossible at this point to look at players for next year's draft so I focused mainly on this year.

I do appreciate your input, other than the trade how do you feel about the players?