1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

My state (Kansas) is offically broke.

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by JBond, Feb 16, 2009.

1. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,707 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    They stopped processing state income tax returns last week and say they will miss payroll Friday for state employees. Kansas which usually runs a surplus has been drained in recent years due to judicial activists. A judge ruled two years ago the state must come up with and additional 750 million for the schools. We have also tripled our spending on illegal aliens.

With the downturn in the economy we are officially broke. Republicans in Kansas want the Governor to reduce spending to make up the shortfall but she absolutely refuses. She will not sign the budget. It has all the same aspects of 1994 when Newt shut down the Clinton Inc because he refused to sign a balanced budget.

Governor Sebelius is a big supporter and a FOO (friend of Obama). There is a good chance the rest of the country will be asked to pick up the slack in Kansas created by judges and a overspending, overreaching Governor.
  2. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,344 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Who do you like for the Republican nominee for Senate in 2010 -- Moran or Tiahrt?
  3. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,707 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    I have not made up my mind yet. Moran is up almost 2 to 1 in fund raising. I know some about Moran and little about Tiahart. I plan on speaking with Kris Kobach (former head of Rep. party in Kansas) and get his thoughts.

Do you have a favorite?
  4. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,344 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I've heard the same... Tiahrt is trailing in money, but it should be a good race with them both being sitting Congressmen.

If Sebelius gets the Cabinet position, the winner of the GOP primary should cakewalk to the general victory.
  5. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,021 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    I'm just on the other side of the state line in Missouri, so I haven't paid super close attention, but I always got the feeling that Sebelius was a loon.
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,178 Messages
    767 Likes Received
    Good ol activist judges. Ought to be a bounty on them.
  7. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,707 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    The thing that really irritates me is how the local news is spinning this story. They claim that the governor will just magically take the money from another account and all would be good if it were not for the evil republicans.

The Republicans want to slow the rate of spending and be fiscally responsible. The budget they are proposing is still a net increase from last year but somehow that is a cut in the eyes of liberals. They want an across the board cut for the remainder of of fiscal 2009 with larger cut backs next year, but are still spending more money than previous years. We spent over 180 million on illegal aliens last year but are now unable to pay tax returns to working families.
  8. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt °¤~Cold Eternal~¤° Staff Member

58,774 Messages
    1,705 Likes Received
    I don't know any of those, then again I am not in Kansas (insert toto line).

However I would think that you could not go with Moran...why?!?! Because his name is too close to moron.

Just Saying.

On a side note...why must I, in WV, have to pay federal taxes on a bunch of Y'alls (insert accent) problems because Y'all can't control your illegal immigrants. I mean geez...I have enough problems to deal with without worrying about you bunch of illegal alien loving people spending MY MONEY!!!
  9. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

73,858 Messages
    974 Likes Received
    Look on the bright side, just do not pay the tax next year if they are not willing to live up to their end of the deal why should you?

What is funny is that if you failed to pay the tax you would be hit with a penalty and would pay even more is the state going to do the same? I doubt it.

Thank god and the voters of Texas we do not have a state income tax
  10. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

33,204 Messages
    919 Likes Received
    You shouldn't, but unfortunatly, it's a Democratic thing. Larger Government, favorable policies towards illegals, it all takes it's toll. I know you are probably just yanking my chain here but that's about the best answer I can give. Not a good one, I realize, but we'll probably see more and more of this.
  11. BrAinPaiNt

58,774 Messages
    1,705 Likes Received
    Yeah...I was just playing around.

But it does kind of suck about some states that don't have much of a problem with illegals. But at the same time we probably have other areas that are just as bad and cause other people to pay for as well.

Heck I think we were the first state to do a State Income tax. :mad:
  12. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I have already filed and received my rebate so they can kiss my ample arse. :D

Thankfully TN doesn't have a state tax.
  13. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

73,858 Messages
    974 Likes Received
    Here in Texas when the state income tax is being pushed it is always the democrats doing the pushing to get this tax passed, thankfully it has yet to happen.
  14. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Technically, any refund not paid out for one year should simply be applied to the tax liability in the next (and so forth and so on depending on how long this goes on). HOWEVER! Here's the big "what if?"... What if...they decide that is *not* the case...simply because they say so...simply because you *did* get your refund...in the form of a letter saying "sorry we can't pay your refund right now, but we will! We promise!". As in Cali's IOUs. Then they could/would claim that since the refund has been "paid", you still owe your full remittance for the next year. We will have to wait and see...
  15. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

33,204 Messages
    919 Likes Received
    I think we can all be safe in the assumption that if a Tax Collector can find a way to get more money out of you, they will.
  16. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,340 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    No problem. Just raise taxes. Tax the rich. Spread the wealth. Hope and change. Look how easy it is to be a Democrat.

Ask for a bailout. Hurry up and get the money before Calif. grabs it all.

On a sidenote, why in the world would an illegal alien go to Kansas? Of all the places to go...

How is life in Kansas? Do you like it there?
  17. BrAinPaiNt

58,774 Messages
    1,705 Likes Received
    Farming/field work

Heck we have Mexicans come around my area to work some fields in smaller farm in Ohio. Although I do believe they have the proper work visas.
  18. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,707 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    Oklahoma kicked them out and they all ended up in Kansas. It's only going to get worse after the mexican NAFTA interstate and new rail system is complete. The first border check will happen in Olathe, Kansas

I love living in Kansas. I have lived in Texas, California, Connecticut and New Jersey and as far as culture and hospitality there is no comparison. I was only a baby at Fort Hood TX, so I don't really remember anything from that time period. (Don't want to piss off the Texas folks).;)
  19. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Around here it's construction jobs