1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

My switch to 4-3 Mock and a look at the new depth chart

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by tm1119, Jan 9, 2013.

1. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,028 Messages
    629 Likes Received
    Players from the current D that will cut/let walk: Kenyon Coleman, Marcus Spears, Jay Ratliff, Anthony Spencer, Doug Free, Phillip Tanner, Kevin Ogletree

Free Agents to be brought in: Glen Dorsey DT, Erin Henderson OLB, Jeff Otah RT

Draft:

Round 1: Ezekiel Ansah DE BYU- 6'5 270+ pounds and a freak of an athlete. I was against him in the 1st in the 3-4, but in the 4-3 its a whole different ball game. The JPP comparisons are fair and I think Ansah will put up similar combine #'s. Ware and Ansah would be a terror for offensive tackles.

Round 2: Travis Frederick C Wisconsin- Even with all of the switches on D it can't be forgotten that the o-line still needs to be fixed. Frederick is a smart kid and strong as an ox. I'm tired of not being able to run up the middle and our QB not being able to step up in the pocket. Frederick is a great way to fix those problems.

Round 3: Brandon Williams DT Missouri Southern State- I know it might be too early, but its possible he doesn't fall to the 4th and I personally have him as the 10th best DT in the draft and the other 9 are long gone. He's huge and athletic. If he went to a D1 school he'd probably be 2nd round pick. Scheme is not an issue, fits 4-3 or 3-4

Round 4: DJ Swearinger FS S. Carolina- Sensabaugh gets another year, but he's on a short leash and depth is needed behind him. Swearinger is a versatile safety who spent time covering the opposing teams #1 WR 1 on 1 for South Carolina(watch the clemson game). Perfect FS who you feel comfortable leaving in coverage or back in zone by himself.

Round 5: Knile Davis RB Arkansas- A bit of a disappointment after looking like a potential Heisman candidate after his 2010 season. Injuries and a coaching change derailed his career, but 6' 225 with 4.4 speed in the 4th round sounds like a great deal to me.

Round 6: Uzoma Nwachukwu WR Texas A&M- Raw but has bit play capability every time he touches the ball. Very fast with adequate size, a wait and see type of guy with high potential.

Quick Depth Chart:

QB: Romo-Orton
    RB: Murry-Davis-Dunbar
    WR: Bryant-Austin-Harris-Beasely
    TE: Witten-Hanna
    LT: Smith
    LG: Livings
    C: Frederick
    RG: Bernadeau/CookArkin
    RT: Otah/Parnell

DE: Ware-Albright/Wilber
    DT: Hatcher/Dorsey
    DT: Willimas/Lissemore
    DE: Ansah/Crawford
    OLB: Henderson
    MLB: Lee/Connor
    OLB: Carter/Sims
    CB: Carr/Moore
    CB: Claiborne/Scandrick
    FS: Sensabaugh/Swearinger
    SS: Church/Johnson
  2. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,219 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    Otah can't stay healthy and was not very good when healthy. Would rather have Parnell than Otah.

Draft looks good. If we stay with 3-4 than that changes things up quite a bit for round 1 and round 2.
  3. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    That would be the most disappointing free agent crop in a long time.
  4. Goldenrichards83

Goldenrichards83 Active Member

1,612 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't know if we can bring in the FA with our problems with the salary cap but love the draft. I think we need two players on the dline and you address the Safety and Center position.
  5. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,330 Messages
    4,875 Likes Received
    Good draft; however, I personally thought that Ansah would be a better fit as a 3-4 DE than as a 4-3 DE. Also, he is a risky pick at #18.

He is really good using power and quickness on inside rushes.

I don't think he is as good "bending-the-corner" on the outside as many of the other outside rushers.

Although they moved him around anywhere from OLB to DE to NT in college, his primary position was 3-4 DE.

I'm not a big fan of your Free Agents especially the OT.

6. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,028 Messages
    629 Likes Received
    Where is the $ coming from to sign any big names? And realistically who are we looking at even if we did have $?
  7. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    We should be ~$24 million under the cap.

Jairus Byrd, Dustin Colquitt, Reggie Hodges, Andy Levitre, Louis Vasquez, Louis Delmas, Cliff Avril, Fernando Velasco, Branden Albert, Richard Seymour, Chris Houston, Leodis McKelvin, Brandon Moore.... just to name a few.
  8. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    We have ~12 million of dead money coming off the cap.

Marion Barber - $4 million
    Leonard Davis - $2.6 million
    Terence Newman - $4.8 million

That's the bulk of it.
  9. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Free Agents Next Year

Victor Butler - 0.615
    Michael Coe - 0.700
    Kenyon Coleman - 2.00
    Derrick Dockery - 0.825
    Mike Jenkins - 1.052
    Felix Jones - 1.170
    L.P. Ladoucer - .790
    Brian Moorman - .925
    Kevin Ogletree - .640
    Charlie Peprah - .700
    John Phillips - .565
    Batman Poppinga - .825
    Brian Schaefering - .615
    Ernie Sims - .700
    Anthony Spencer - 8.856

$19,926,00
  10. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,330 Messages
    4,875 Likes Received
    In regards to dead-money in 2012, I've been going by this post (post #79) by Adam:
    http://cowboyszone.com/forums/dallascowboys.php?t=232105&page=6&highlight=dead

His quote is:
    Total dead money: $35,784,098 (will drop to $29,768,098 on June 2)

11. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
  12. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,073 Messages
    294 Likes Received
    what a collosal waste of money all three would be
  13. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I think Dorsey still has some worth, but if he's the centerpiece of a FA class, that's NOT a good haul.
  14. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,934 Messages
    512 Likes Received
    Wow-my mock would look very similar right now except for Williams who I'd switch out with someone like Abry Jones whom I am really high on.

Also like the FA signings, they are realistic and sensical. Cowboys have very little cap room even with the tricky accounting.

I would keep Rat around though for one more year given the scheme change and cap hit. Though I could do without him.
  15. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,028 Messages
    629 Likes Received
    All 3 would be cheap though....Otah and Dorsey are both obvious busts, but both still have a ton of talent. I'm a big believer in giving 2nd chances in a new environment for former high picks.
  16. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,906 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    I just can't get on board with this Ansah kid. We just are not good enough to undertake that kinda project IMO.
  17. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,028 Messages
    629 Likes Received
    Well who would you add? Apparently who have more $ than I thought and clearly didn't spend much of it with the 3 FA's. Who would you want in with the remaining $?
  18. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    That would be some HORRIBLE FA pickups.

ALso, we've already drafted that DE in the first before. His name was Ebenezer Ekuban.

Horrible FA/Draft scenario.
  19. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Since the Raiders drafted JaMarcus Russell, should they never draft a QB in the first round again?
  20. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    You obviously didn't pick up on the meaning of my post.

I said we had already drafted THAT DE before. I was being specific.

Sure we should draft a DE in the first again. Just not Ebenezer Ekuban part 2.