1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

My way too early mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by tm1119, Nov 5, 2012.

1. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    Yeah, unfortunately its time to look at the draft already....this is assuming we finish the season some what strong, but still miss the playoffs. 8-8 or 9-7 picking somewhere between 14-18 most likely.

1. Sheldon Richardson DT/DE Mizzu- Obviously not the position of most need, but this kid is a stud. 6'4 295 and some incredible strength and quickness. Jerry is still kicking himself for not taking Watt so he doesn't let Richardson get past him.

2. Matt Elam S Florida- Doesn't make sense to not have help for your highly paid CB's. Elam can do a little bit of everything at the safety position and could probably start at either FS or SS.

3. Omoregie Uzzi OG Georgia Tech- Finally, what every wants to see. Offensive line. Uzzi is a 3 year starter at RG for Tech and could easily slide right into the position for us.

4. Travis Long OLB Washington State- I personally hope Spencer stays, but we do need to add depth at the OLB position. Long isnt the most athletically gifted, but hes got 1 hell of a motor and some nice moves. Reminds me a little of Connor Barwin.

5. Lane Johnson OT Oklahoma- Depth and hopefully someone to push Free for the RT job in the very near future. Still a bit of a project though.

6. Collin Klein QB/RB Kansas State- Tim Tebow without the media circus. I like it. Could solve our absolutely horrible red zone offense using him in the wildcat as a threat to run or pass. Not a long term solution at QB but the kid is a gamer.

7. Kiko Alonso ILB Oregon- I like the name Kiko
  2. kirkjrk

kirkjrk Active Member

905 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    I had your #1 and #6 in exactly the same spot you have. I like Klein used in the red zone and 3rd and short situations. Who knows he might turn out to be a capable QB. 2,3,and 4 I also have high on my board. Did not have # 5 and the team doesn't have a #7 pick as it gave it up in the Cook trade.
  3. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    Forgot about the Cook trade....

But what do you think about Richardson? I was honestly shocked when I watched him against South Carolina. Kid is 6'4 295 and runs like a linebacker. His speed off of the ball is also absolutely ridiculous. In my opinion hes the next big thing. I just hope he doesnt shoot up draft boards so much that he gets out of reach for us.
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,811 Messages
    885 Likes Received
    I would love that draft except Klein not an NFL QB IMO.
  5. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    Not arguing that. But I think he can be a weapon in the NFL. Inside of the 10 he would be hard to stop just as Tebow is. 6'6 240 with the ability to run and pass is very hard to stop. Could possibly be the answer to our 26th ranked red zone offense. I wouldnt take him any earlier than the 6th but he would be hard to pass up that late.
  6. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,811 Messages
    885 Likes Received
    I'd rather draft a guy who could be a complete NFL QB, say Dysert, than a career gimmick guy.
  7. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,122 Messages
    2,974 Likes Received
    1. Sheldon Richardson DT/DE Mizzu- Obviously not the position of most need, but this kid is a stud. 6'4 295 and some incredible strength and quickness. Jerry is still kicking himself for not taking Watt so he doesn't let Richardson get past him.
    His style of play is what the Cowboy need at DE, IMO; however, I'm not completely sold on Richardson.

I have a gut feeling that he might be a hot-head or have some character issues. His demeanor could go either way I guess. He could have a Ratliff type of intensity or he could have some negative character issues.

I think he's actually about 6-3, which is ok if he has long arms.

If the the Cowboys are picking between #14 and #18, then they could probably trade down and still pick Richardson later in the 1st or possibly in the 2nd round.

2. Matt Elam S Florida- Doesn't make sense to not have help for your highly paid CB's. Elam can do a little bit of everything at the safety position and could probably start at either FS or SS.
    Agree, if BPA. I like Elam somewhere in the 2nd round.

3. Omoregie Uzzi OG Georgia Tech- Finally, what every wants to see. Offensive line. Uzzi is a 3 year starter at RG for Tech and could easily slide right into the position for us.
    The 3rd round seems way to early for this player. He appears limited athletically. His 1st step is ok, but after that he doesn't move all that well. His strength appears just average.

4. Travis Long OLB Washington State- I personally hope Spencer stays, but we do need to add depth at the OLB position. Long isnt the most athletically gifted, but hes got 1 hell of a motor and some nice moves. Reminds me a little of Connor Barwin.
    If they're going to get a project OLB, I'd prefer one with more athleticism. Quanterus Smith appears to be more athletic and maybe a little bigger. I think both Long and Smith will be available after the 4th round.

I think that Connor Barwin is much more athletic than Travis Long.

5. Lane Johnson OT Oklahoma- Depth and hopefully someone to push Free for the RT job in the very near future. Still a bit of a project though.
    Yes, I like this player. He just needs to get bigger. At this point he looks like a TE at first glance.

6. Collin Klein QB/RB Kansas State- Tim Tebow without the media circus. I like it. Could solve our absolutely horrible red zone offense using him in the wildcat as a threat to run or pass. Not a long term solution at QB but the kid is a gamer.
    Please no wildcat in Dallas. The media and fans would never quit talking about needing more or needing less wildcat.

Besides being a running QB, doesn't Klein also have a Tebow throwing motion?

7. Kiko Alonso ILB Oregon- I like the name Kiko
    His talent might be better than 6th round, but he was suspended for the entire 2010 season and then suspended again for the entire 2011 season.

Regardless, they can't take his name away from him.

8. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,871 Messages
    88 Likes Received
    I think our draft next year should focus exclusively on OL and front-7 players with a RB thrown in the mix around Round 3 to split carries with Murray.
  9. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    I may be over hyping him but wouldnt surprise me at all if he jumps into the top 15 of the draft. If not higher. When he goes to the combine and puts up JJ Watt type #'s at the combine people are going to be shocked. Yes, hes capable of that. Miami U recruited him pretty heavily as a TE out of high school and is a freak of an athlete.

As far as attitude, there isnt 1 that has been documented as of yet. The only real red flag is that he had to go to Juco before Mizzu because of grades. I don't believe hes had any problems since, but still that is a little concerning Ill admit.

Heres the South Carolina highlight for anyone who wants to watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM-Zfc5I-P8
  10. neosapien23

neosapien23 Well-Known Member

2,762 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    If Dallas continues to tank, they might have a real shot at one of the LSU DE/OLbers in either Mingo or Montgomery. I think either one would add a passrush dimension to the other olber spot and take some pressure off the Dline.
  11. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,122 Messages
    2,974 Likes Received
    You're probably correct. If his character checks out, then there's a good chance that he goes in the teens. He looks like he could be the best pass rushing 5-technique in this draft.