1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

My Yearly Report on What I Am Hearing About the Draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Hostile, Apr 21, 2011.

1. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

5,303 Messages
    282 Likes Received

I don't either, Hos. Not this year. To be able to parlay next year's 1st into getting two of the top ten players in this draft when the chances of us picking in the top of the draft next year seem to be slim makes the deal that much more appealing.

I'd jump all over it.
  2. Corleone

Corleone Well-Known Member

1,037 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Yep, I think that is a big wildcard in the Peterson trade up deal, plus if San Fran wants him, like Hostile said, not much we can do about that.

Your trade down scenario sounds really good to me, we could epically improve that O-line. I would love to have both Castonzo and Pouncey if that were possible without giving next years pick. I'm not sure if we would be able to do so without giving a second rounder, and the second round is where I think we have to address either a safety or DE/DT. It all depends on what kind of package it would take.
  3. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    You mean Jerry?
  4. HoleInTheRoof

HoleInTheRoof Benched

3,265 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't think Jerry is clueless as many make him out to be, but until he genuinely proves he has an eye for talent (string together a number of solid drafts/free agent periods), then people are correct in the assertion that he simply doesn't have it.
  5. HoleInTheRoof

HoleInTheRoof Benched

3,265 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You guys realize our first next year is going to be #32, right?

I'm trade our first next year, no problem.

/homer
  6. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

One thing Hos mentioned as a negative, I see as a huge positive for the Cowboys.

That's the possibility of no CBA and an extension of the current format. No cap in 2011!

That's huge for us. Now we can sign our FA DEs and go get Huff to take care of the FS need.

It also gives us flexibility with Newman and a few other overpriced vets.

Now we can focus our draft resources on the OL.
  7. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I don't know if there will be a lot of trading of next year's picks. What if the NFLPA wins in court and the draft goes away? Slim chance, but would you give up your first round pick with a chance you might not get compensation?
  8. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,514 Messages
    4,752 Likes Received
    Two drafts ago we had one of the worst drafts since Lacewell was around.
    How is that for "reflective"?

And he is just as prone to have a ridiculously bad draft now as he had in 2001 and 1995.

I would love to see consistent evidence that his knowledge base has increased thanks to his two decades of draft experience before I think he has learned anything from it.
  9. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,656 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    On earlier trade down discussions, I have a question:

Have we EVER traded down out of the top 10?
    I can't recall us ever doing it.

I'm not totally against the idea if the players we want are gone and the value is not there, but I tend to think Jerry wants to take advatange of having a top 10 pick.
    As for them making the right pick, that's a crapshoot for sure.
  10. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,972 Messages
    569 Likes Received
    Jerry has also never taken an O-lineman in the 1st round,....Its going to be an interesting draft for sure.
  11. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Not with top of the 1st rd picks. We've actually done well in that spot.
  12. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just look at our record the past ten years. Clear eveidence of an upward progression.
  13. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,514 Messages
    4,752 Likes Received
    2009 was as bad as any draft he has ever had.

And yes, getting rid of Larry Lacewell would make anyone look better.

The whole point is that Jones is only as good as who is around him because he has no eye for talent. So considering the fact he has surrounded himself with slightly better individuals in the past decade, that does not demonstrate a thing about him being capable after 20 years. He is not much different now than he ever was. It is just the supporting cast has changed.
  14. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I was referring to the team's record.

6-10
    11-5
    9-7
    13-3
    9-7
    9-7
    9-7
    6-10
    10-6
    5-11
    5-11
    5-11
  15. StarMan

StarMan Well-Known Member

1,009 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    1 playoff win in the last 15 seasons. If that doesn't prove he's clueless, I don't know what it's going to take.
  16. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Our rolling 5 year average win total has been steadily increasing for some time now.
    Total Wins......Per season average
    2006-2010 = 48...................9.6
    2005-2009 = 51...................10.2
    2004-2008 = 46...................9.2
    2003-2007 = 47...................9.4
    2002-2006 = 39...................7.8
    2001-2005 = 35...................7.0
    2000-2004 = 31...................6.2
  17. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,360 Messages
    1,991 Likes Received
    oh man, now you've done it
    if this is how stupid it is, JJ is sure to do it for shiny new toys
  18. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,858 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    Well i can only hope PP doesn't fall and T.Smith is gone..........
  19. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,537 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    This is my first post on the website i've been on the ranch for years and heard good things on here so figured I'd join!!!!

but I hope we make a move for peterson in the first then pick up a rt or or guard in the second or even trade late in the first to get an ol. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't be upset taking an ol in the first but I think if we have a shot at peterson we jump on it.
  20. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Speaking of going for broke, I'm starting to think if the Peterson trade goes off at a cost of our 3rd, we may want to consider a 2nd trade up from #40.

Might as well go all in for two top prospects. Give up the 4th and 5th to move up as high as we can or need to to get a ROT we feel can start day one. If that means kicking in a 2012 pick in the 3-5 range, so be it.