1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: MySA: Report: Bryant wants to plead guilty to a lesser charge in family violence case

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Sep 7, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,190 Messages
    7,001 Likes Received
    RVING – A Dallas radio station is reporting that Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant is negotiating a plea deal that calls for him to accept guilt for a Class C misdemeanor stemming from a July assault of his mother.

According to KRLD-FM, Bryant’s attorneys met this week with the Dallas County District Attorney’s office to negotiate a plea bargain in which Bryant will plead guilty to a reduced charge of a Class C misdemeanor for family violence.

Citing an anonymous source, KRLD-FM is reporting the proposed deal calls for Bryant to enter a guilty plea in exchanged for reduced punishments of no jail time, no probation, a $5,000 fine and anger management classes.

Read the rest: http://blog.mysanantonio.com/nfl/20...y-to-a-lesser-charge-in-family-violence-case/
  2. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,385 Messages
    645 Likes Received
    If mom doesn't want to pursue it, why plead to anything?
  3. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    that's what I think, too.
  4. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,942 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    It may be the authorities pursuing this... sometimes you don't get the option of charges being dropped...
  5. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,546 Messages
    2,113 Likes Received
    Once the DA got involved, it is out of the Bryant's hands if I recall correctly. This is a good thing, plead guilty to that charge, attend a few classes and move on, put this in the past.
  6. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    yea, it's the authorities pursuing the charges, but what we are saying is why try to get a plea deal? how on earth are they going to be able to convict Dez with zero evidence???
  7. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,190 Messages
    7,001 Likes Received
    Because from his perspective, he probably just wants the whole thing to go away.

He doesn't want their to be a trial and all their family business gets put on display and his Mom whose on 10-year probation could end up in jail based on what comes out.

If a fine and some anger management classes will make it go away, then why not consider it.
  8. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,198 Messages
    1,410 Likes Received
    I wonder if that will result in a suspension... I hope not.
  9. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    makes sense. I wasn't thinking of his mom possibly getting in trouble.
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,855 Messages
    1,695 Likes Received
    the problem is that then Goodell could suspend him for admitting to doing something
  11. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,114 Messages
    1,885 Likes Received
    Because in domestic abuse cases, especially battered wives (so not an exact match to this case) often feel compelled to drop the charges because the impact of a conviction against their spouse -- as it relates to he families livelihood, children, etc

Its really not hard to understand why prosecutors often will not drop a case simply because the accuser decides they no longer want to pursue it.
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,855 Messages
    1,695 Likes Received
    if it came out she lied to police in the report that is sufficient grounds to revoke her parole.
  13. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,042 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    That does make a load of sense. Though if it is his mom he's looking after, it's a shame he'll be taking the hit. But quite understandable.
  14. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,778 Messages
    638 Likes Received
    no matter how its spun...its a guilty plea. Dez looks great on the field but that whole situation bothers me and I believe he has two guards to take turns staying with him during day and night. He is not allowed to drive a car. I mean...how do you sign a guy to long term deal who needs such resources to stay out of trouble.
  15. DWhite Fan

DWhite Fan It ain't over 'til it's over

5,569 Messages
    382 Likes Received
    That is what I am thinking :(
  16. GcwRyan

GcwRyan New Member

16 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Wow, not good, not good...
  17. Yoshimitsu

Yoshimitsu Lurch

2,130 Messages
    108 Likes Received
    Kenny Britt just got suspended one game for his 8th arrest.

If Dez gets suspended that's complete crap.
  18. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    I'm not sure what the standard number is in terms of arrests but it shouldn't have been that many for Britt.

I think comparing to other players would be a better route.

If other players got their freebie on the first arrest/incident/whatever, Dez should too depending on your chalk up the other events.
  19. justbob

justbob The Peacemaker Staff Member

6,953 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    Class C = fine no jail time ,no probation. Take a few classes and maintain his freedom to move about without having to deal with a probation officer. Not a bad deal to put the whole thing to bed and his family business remains private..Taking these steps might put him commissioners watch list (he is all ready) but might convince him to just watch and wait.
  20. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,571 Messages
    1,175 Likes Received
    Yep. This opens the door to a Goodell suspension. But I believe Goodell will go easy on him.