1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Nagy still not fit to play for those of you who have the 20/20 hindsight

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Macnalty, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Macnalty

Macnalty Active Member

925 Messages
    36 Likes Received
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,916 Messages
    1,185 Likes Received
    Not one who was ever impressed by Nagy
  3. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,654 Messages
    685 Likes Received
    Only Cowboy fans could possibly be surprised that a 7th round pick that couldn't win a starting job in college, had a significant injury before turning pro, and never had a real position didn't amount to much. We're so desperate as a fanbase for good line play, that ever guy that suits up must be starting quality.
    TheCowboy likes this.
  4. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

24,845 Messages
    567 Likes Received
    The whole "never started in college" is a dumb argument. Go look up who he was stuck behind.
    dstrip11 likes this.
  5. burmafrd

40,916 Messages
    1,185 Likes Received
    and what has he shown since college that makes that statement mean anything?
  6. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

9,897 Messages
    2,799 Likes Received
    Nagy was going to be a starter in college but he had a moped accident prior to that season.

I still think that he has a better chance of being an NFL starter than David Arkin.

Callahan made a statement after Nagy was signed by Detroit that he was disappointed to lose him and he thought Nagy would eventually be a starter in the league.
    BIGDen likes this.
  7. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,654 Messages
    685 Likes Received
    Heard that one before. Like I said, Cowboy fans are desperate. We can think up one of any number of reasons why a guy wearing the star is destined for greatness despite never showing greatness in his past.
  8. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I like Nagy but I suspect his leg injury did him in. He may have had too much leg trauma to make it in the league now. He was a bit undersized to begin with so he had to get by with strength, quickness and technique. The time and strength lost by the injuries has put him too far behind, IMO.

I wish him the best of luck. I didn't know his injury was so severe that a year later he would still not be ready to practice. It looks like the FO made the right decision and saved themselves about $400K.
  9. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,580 Messages
    423 Likes Received
    Nothing wrong in seeing potential in a guy, and Nagy showed some potential when he "earned" a starting job as a rookie. I'm not sure anyone thought he was destined for greatness, just that he showed enough to hope he might be a find.

I didn't like losing him for that reason, but it wasn't that big of a deal because we have/had no idea if he'd become more than a JAG.
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,757 Messages
    3,745 Likes Received
    A lot of people saw potential in him. But the injury probably didi him in.
  11. burmafrd

40,916 Messages
    1,185 Likes Received

earned starting job? really
  12. AbeBeta

24,845 Messages
    567 Likes Received
    Yeah. I sure said destined for greatness. Your reply highlights a major problem on this board. No understanding that being "great" isn't the bar to judge against and ignorance to the time needed by most OL to develop. I guess that is two problems you analysis embodies
  13. AbeBeta

24,845 Messages
    567 Likes Received
    Don't know that we made a decision here. Typically, cut injured never got claimed. It was a procedural path to IR that saved a roster spot. Last year teams stopped honoring that approach. We really figured he'd still be here
  14. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,654 Messages
    685 Likes Received
    You must have quite the ego to think "cowboy fans" means just you. That would also explain why you chose to take my post in the most offensive way to you possible, I suppose. Don't be so sensitive.
  15. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I wasn't aware there was a gentlemanly standard of practice not to claim each other's players who are waived while injured in TC.

It seems to me that most of the time when a player is put on IR they aren't put on waivers. I assume that is to avoid letting the player be claimed by another team. I only seem to hear this waived injured status for marginal players on the roster.

It's interesting if true why Detroit was so high on him that they would go against league convention. Nagy hadn't really shown much yet other than as a rookie he could be a bottom 10 OG in the league. I always thought his potential was at Center due to size/strength limitations but he was a good athlete. He could backup a lot of positions and could even play TE.

I was definitely upset to lose him as I still thought he had potential. He may need another year to get his leg strength back but I'd view him as a longshot to make it in the league. I hope he saved his money and got a good education while in college.
  16. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

9,897 Messages
    2,799 Likes Received
    The off-season rules are different than in-season rules in regards to IR. During the time period when the roster limit is 90 players, the only method to place a player on IR is to put him on waivers. During the season, when the roster limit is 53, placing the player on waivers is not required.

I'm not certain how it works with vested veterans (4 years service) because they are not subject to waivers.

In the past, apparently, the unwritten rule was that other teams would not put a waiver claim in on an injured player. This changed in the spring of 2012 when the Giants put their TE on waivers with the intent of putting him on IR. The Patriots claimed him and put him on their IR.

If the Cowboys really wanted to keep Nagy, they would have needed to keep him until the roster cut down to 53 at which time they could have placed him on IR without exposing him to waivers. They had to know that the trend had been broken and that they could lose him. Based on the extent of his injury, it's possible that they didn't want to pay him 400K to be on IR, especially since he was on IR for 3/4 of the previous season. I can't imagine that roster spot #90 was that important.
    niuzaimi and Rhubarb like this.
  17. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,699 Messages
    822 Likes Received
    you mean the way tom brady was a back up for most of his college career?

nagy started here as a rookie and was injured.
    by all accounts he's still injured.
    he may be forever and never play another down.
    or he could bounce around for a couple years a la marc columbo then hold down a job for 4 or 5 years at a decent clip.
  18. AbeBeta

24,845 Messages
    567 Likes Received
    Ya see -- this is the problem with your posts. Everything is taken in the most extreme manner. This is the story with your evaluations as well -- either superstar! or worthless. No in between
  19. AbeBeta

24,845 Messages
    567 Likes Received
    Brady was a two year starter at Michigan.
  20. burmafrd

40,916 Messages
    1,185 Likes Received
    never let the truth get in the way of an agenda