1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

NASA Shuttle Discovery set to buzz Washington, DC

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Sam I Am, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,999 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    This is mainly for the DCers out there that might want to see it as they do the fly-bys.

I remember when Air Force One did a fly by of Manhattan so they could take images of AF1 close to Manhattan. They didn't tell anyone that it was going to happen and people started freaking out thinking it was another 9/11.

======================================

Barring bad weather, NASA said the space shuttle Discovery mounted atop the space agency's 747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft will make a series of low passes - 1,500 ft. around parts of Washington DC on April 17 between 10-11 am eastern daylight time.

The exact route and timing of the flight, which has the blessing of the Federal Aviation Administration, depends on weather and operational constraints, NASA said. The aircraft/shuttle combo is expected to fly near a variety of landmarks including the National Mall, Reagan National Airport and National Harbor.

Complete Story
  2. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

5,084 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    SWEET!

I work right by the National Mall :)

I've actually seen something like this before, way back in 83 or 84. Saw the prototype Enterprise atop a modified Boeing 747 fly into Scott Air Force Base when i was stationed there. It was coming in for an air show...we got to actually go aboard the Enterprise and see the insides (stripped down as they were). Quite an honor for me, looking back. I've been over to the Dulles Smithsonian Air & Space to see Enterprise again, more than 25 years later, and now she's all roped off and nobody can go aboard. Or couldn't anyway. I gather she's on her way elsewhere and the Discovery will now take her place.

Can't wait to go see Discovery then! :)
  3. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    OT: But I saw a video where one of the most prominent NASA guys, or maybe he's just a scientist, said that the entire history of Nasa could have been funded by the bank bailout.

Thought that was interesting.
  4. Phoenix

5,084 Messages
    449 Likes Received

Undoubtedly!
  5. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,996 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    Hope not liked it buzzed my house and town years ago ....
  6. Phoenix

5,084 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    Bump :)

This is still on for tomorrow, so far. There was a delay over the weekend in loading the orbiter onto the 747 but I think they got it done.

Great site for keeping up with not only Discovery, but all of the shuttles

http://www.collectspace.com/shuttles/
  7. Phoenix

5,084 Messages
    449 Likes Received
  8. Phoenix

5,084 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    NASA tweet!

NASA ‏ @NASA For those in the DC area anxiously awaiting arrival of space shuttle Discovery, the flight is running just a few minutes ahead of schedule!
  9. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,905 Messages
    4,274 Likes Received
    Did it wake you up. :laugh2:
  10. Phoenix

5,084 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    That was spectacular. GREAT JOB NASA!!

I thought I was the only one who knew ha ha...it was like a fire drill with everyone streaming out of federal buildings :D There were many, many thousands of us on the national mall, and for once I think we outnumbered the tourists haha :D

Discovery did multiple loops around the DC area to many ovations. It was very moving.
  11. Phoenix

5,084 Messages
    449 Likes Received
  12. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    My office looks out over Dulles Airport... I had a great view of the fly-by and got to see a bit of the landing. It was pretty impressive.

Pretty cool, although all the people who stopped off on the side of the road to watch it made for a pretty nasty commute this morning.
  13. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,119 Messages
    2,928 Likes Received
    Bitter sweet ending for the Shuttle and the American Space program in general.
  14. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,933 Messages
    1,000 Likes Received
    Friend of mine posted this picture he took on facebook:

[IMG]
  15. Phoenix

5,084 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    Nice!

There were a ton of great pics and some videos tagged with #SpotTheShuttle all over social media :)

As for me, I was standing on the mall about 75 yards away from the National Monument
  16. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Nice shot
  17. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,144 Messages
    4 Likes Received
  18. Alumni2k11

Alumni2k11 Old Dominion University (Class of 2011)

1,050 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Awesome pics.
  19. Phoenix

5,084 Messages
    449 Likes Received
  20. Phoenix

5,084 Messages
    449 Likes Received