1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Nate Livings' contract details

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by FuzzyLumpkins, Mar 20, 2012.

1. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

14,632 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4691013/nate-livings-contract-details

They guaranteed the first two years at 6.2m. This is a 2-3 year deal.

If we cut him after 2 years hes a savings of $1.3m off the cap but we eat $2.1m.

After the third year, we'd save $3m in cap room.

People still think this a progress stopper that locks us into starting him?
  2. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Good breakdown and comments, FL. I agree w/ ya. This is a 2-3 year deal to look him over and see if he steps up, into Cally's scheme. He's proven to be reliable -- health-wise -- as a starter. Needs to prove to be a consistent upgrade for us at OG. We shall see.

I'm resisting the urge to dog his signing until we see what he becomes. Fingers crossed.
  3. Prossman

Prossman Active Member

937 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    kind of scratching my head on this one. cap friendly contract and the guy has experience. I really dont see him keeping us from drafting decastro or any other guard for that matter.
  4. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,399 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    it doesn't... he is added competition and roster security
  5. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus New Member

1,737 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't agree with those who think that it locks us into starting him, but it's still rich and I suspect more than we had to pay.
  6. bsheeern

bsheeern Well-Known Member

1,734 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Factual information is always important to those who form intelligent opinions.

Thank you Fuzz
  7. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I've gotta say. The signing of these two guards who's skill was questionable by their former teams to multi-year deals makes you still well aware the Cowboys have trouble drafting offensive lineman. (maybe signing them too!)

You just don't sign two guard to multi-year deals after you drafted three others in the last two years unless you seriously question their ability to play in this league.

If this is the case, the Cowboys SERIOUSLY need to look into hiring someone who has experience drafting offensive lineman that actually end up with the ability to play.

It's like this team has a disease that prevents them from properly judging talent for offensive lineman. Sure they got Smith, but the entire world knew he was a no brainer. (well except for those few fans here that didn't think he was going to be a great player :muttley: )
  8. CCBoy

CCBoy Active Member

13,343 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Right now, the projection is Mackenzy Bernadeau and Nate Livings...and the die is cast. They were acquired as journeymen and low contract costs.

Right now, the back ups projected are Bill Nagy and Kevin Kowalski...and that is cast as well.

Going by projections, the team is looking towards center upgrade.

But I would say, that the strongest pass rusher is in their crosshairs for the top of the upcoming draft...and center one of the firing points already on the map overlay.
  9. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I think your take is correct here.

The main problem I had with Livings is that we should have sought to bring in one mid-tier vet FA who is an above average player to add to the interior. This would help a great deal at improving the overall play. Instead we brought in two guys who are in the below average camp although Bernadeau has age and projectability on his side so I'm okay with that move. I kind of viewed that move as saving us a draft pick next year.

I was really hoping we'd take a run at a better player and would have been happy with Grubbs or Mathis with the money they got.
  10. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

3,418 Messages
    181 Likes Received
    So it's a 2-3 year deal for essentialy what an above average veteran backup OG would cost. If he proves to be a worthy starter, years 4 and 5 are bargains for even an average starter. If he doesn't develop into a guy you want to keep after 2-3 years, he will be cut and won't hurt the cap at all.
  11. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,159 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    this is a 2 year deal where we can have our young OL develop. We needed a starter until the young guys are ready.
  12. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

20,216 Messages
    820 Likes Received
    I'd be shocked if we did not draft an QG with the expectation that he would walk in and start or seriously battle for a starting spot.
  13. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,399 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I agree that pass rusher is probably the priority... but my contention was that regardless of what the Cowboys have done so far it still doesn't prevent the Cowboys from drafting a DeCastro.... even though I am hoping they do not
  14. SMCowboy

SMCowboy Active Member

1,407 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The money that they are paying Livings the first two years especially is what you pay for backups you are high on.... His cap hit is just over twice what Ogletree got. And atleast Livings has started 30+ games in the league.
  15. boysfanindc

boysfanindc Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,694 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    I am wondering if Decastro will even be there, seeing a lot of mocks lately that has KC taking him.
  16. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,153 Messages
    662 Likes Received
    2 year 6.2 mil deal.
    Counts 1.7m this year and 2.4m next.

CHEAP by starting standards to be sure.
    IF he is a hit we'd keep him for year 3 at a reasonable 4m cap number but he'd have to be a plus starter to see that money.

We needed a stopgap starter and he got stop gap starter money.
  17. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

73,896 Messages
    991 Likes Received
    I agree and do not think it will deter the Cowboys in any way come draft time. If anything it gives us the ability to stay true to the draft board
  18. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

7,990 Messages
    605 Likes Received
    Contract is really well written. It's all backloaded, it's basically incentive laden. Play well, and we'll keep you. The upfront signing bonus money doesn't hurt us, he can at worst be depth, and if we release him in year 3, it costs us little to nothing. What about the other guard we got.
  19. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

7,990 Messages
    605 Likes Received
    Mackenzy Bernadeau

4 years 11 million dollars, 3.25 million in signing bonus

Year - Cap Hit - (Cost to release him)
    Year 1 - 1.8 million (3.25 million to release him)
    Year 2 - 2.562 million (2.4375 million to release him)
    Year 3 - 3.062 million (1.625 million to release him)
    Year 4 - 3.5625 million (812.5k to release him)

Honestly as of year 2, its a wash.
  20. BaybeeJay

BaybeeJay Member

441 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    How does Livings contract compare to Travelle Wharton's?