1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Nate Newton Speaks

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TwoDeep3, Feb 6, 2013.

1. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,223 Messages
    2,043 Likes Received
    I was listening to Nate yesterday on the radio with Cooperstein, I believe. They were talking about the 9ers and Ravens, and Coop made a remark about league parity, and Nate threw a shoe.

He said - and this is somewhat paraphrasing.

Coop - Jason and Jerry can look at this team, understand league parity and see that they are close.

Nate - That's not true. They are not close.

Coop - well surely Dallas could have eked out two more wins and make the play-offs.

Nate - Nope, they couldn't. And here is why.

The 9ers and the Ravens have something Dallas does not have. They have a team attitude that says they are going to get it done. When Ed Reed lined up and covered - fill in the blank - he knew he was going to get it done.

When Dallas lines up for a third and one, they don't have anybody that has that attitude.

Dallas will continue to go 8-8 until they put together a team that has a can do attitude.

____

For the most part I agree with this. This team finds a way to succeed to the middle of the pack and no more. When what I call those chilly winds of December come along, Dallas tends to either run out of gas, or get push around the field.

I was pretty surprised at Nate's position. He sounded like he flew out of the chair when Coop made the comment.
  2. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,417 Messages
    1,641 Likes Received
  3. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,048 Messages
    1,342 Likes Received
    To say this team could not have gotten 1-2 more wins is idiotic.
  4. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,110 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    so nobody on Dallas works his butt off and plays to win? Stupid comment, Dallas just does not have the talent--Reed's success has to do with talent.
  5. TwoDeep3

6,223 Messages
    2,043 Likes Received
    Yes, you are right. What does a three time Super Bowl guard know about the sport over an internet fan.
  6. TwoDeep3

6,223 Messages
    2,043 Likes Received
    None of the things you posted had one thing to do with what Nate said.

It is not work or plays to win. It is an attitude that you will not score on me, or I will score on you.

Maybe we should call this the Champion's Mindset.
  7. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,048 Messages
    1,342 Likes Received
    :facepalm:
  8. Maxmadden

Maxmadden Active Member

991 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    That it's not a good idea to smuggle marijuana in the trunk of your car?
  9. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    He speaks everyday.

99% of the time it's not worth listening to.
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,625 Messages
    6,391 Likes Received
    I think Nate's sort-of onto something. Although, instead of this: " When Dallas lines up for a third and one, they don't have anybody that has that attitude." I'd say this " When Dallas lines up for a third and one, they don't have everybody that has that attitude."

This issue is less that they don't have players with the right attitude. It's that there's often one player in critical situation that blows his responsibility, and the team gets beat as a result.

I think that's happening less than it used to, though. And, when it happened last year, it was either happening at positions where we were playing replacement players, or along the OL (C and RG early, and OT almost all season) where we're going to end up making some changes.
  11. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,431 Messages
    373 Likes Received
    yet when we have guys who claim how great they are, fans crap on them and tell them to shut their mouths.
  12. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,381 Messages
    4,943 Likes Received
    Players turned media guys are always correct in the opinions.:banghead:

Come on, Mayne. Nate was a great player and a funny guy, but nobody has ever accused him of having a high IQ.
  13. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,764 Messages
    1,967 Likes Received
    We're not miles away. It's not 1992.

49ers and Baltimore just hired coaches 2 and 3 years ago. I bet they weren't close either.
  14. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,431 Messages
    373 Likes Received
    Bailey hits the FG in Baltimore or Dez comes down 2 inches closer to the goal line and we are in the post season.

Whether or not the team is close to winning it all is a different issue. Last year to start the season no one thought SF was close but they were. Same with Seattle this year.
  15. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,692 Messages
    1,121 Likes Received
    He would have made a lot more sense if he said that the Cowboys had players who didn't know where to line up on 3rd and 1. (or even if they were suppose to be on the field)
  16. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,945 Messages
    1,015 Likes Received
    O M G, the stupidity in those statements is ... frustrating.
  17. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,829 Messages
    1,777 Likes Received
    They could have lost a couple of close ones, too. Cincy and Pitt come to mind. This team just isn't very good.

Jerry keeps hanging on to the fact that the Giants squeaked in the playoffs and won two Super Bowls and uses that as a justification for being mediocre. When you don't demand greatness from the top to the bottom, you won't get it.

Baltimore has only been around since 1996. They have more Super Bowl wins than we have playoff wins. The man responsible for that is still in the driver's seat.
  18. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,838 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    I guess Nate missed the memo that we draft the Right Kind of Guy now.
    It's part of the process.
  19. TwoDeep3

6,223 Messages
    2,043 Likes Received
    If, if if...but that didn't happen at all.

And that is the point.

All the ifs ands or buts don't mean squat.
  20. mgkaotic

mgkaotic New Member

17 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It all goes back to how soft this team is, I am also tired of hearing how talented this team is, but the reality is, they aren't very good.