1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Nate Newton Speaks

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TwoDeep3, Feb 6, 2013.

1. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,863 Messages
    577 Likes Received
    No, it means that maybe after winning it one year, they don't work as hard and get fat and happy and thus have a bad following year. That is why it is so hard to repeat...complacency. What do all coaches try and preach against after winning..complacency. That is why there are so few dynasties and when they happen they all have many things in common besides talent. But you go ahead since you know so much more than the Lombardi's and Jimmy Johnsons and ex players that have played. Those 2-3 plays are just random and Emmitt just played with a separated shoulder and helped win a game and a division because it randomly happened vs he was one of the only guys to do that and thus it is always talked about. You sure you played in high school? Maybe you weren't listening then.

Again, laugh and keep going. He isn't reading your post anyways. He's contemplating how every game comes down to the cosmos granting a team one wish vs hard work.
  2. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I am glad for you Al Bundy. I bet you are proud of that.
  3. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    You make good points. I am wasting time.
  4. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,485 Messages
    876 Likes Received
    You are, .. heck, I love a good debate here on the Zone, .. but there is nothing to debate here.
  5. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Agreed. How do you debate against Superstition where anecdotes (by repeat convicted felons, in this case) are taken as rock solid empirical evidence? People who believe in superstitions always have a rigged game.

"This lucky rabbits foot brings me good luck when I rub it."

"What about that time lightening stuck you while you were rubbing the rabbits foot?"

"That's further proof that I wasn't rubbing it enough! Thanks for proving my point!"
  6. WV Cowboy

10,485 Messages
    876 Likes Received
    You just need to stop, each post is more silly.

Every other post of yours was an anecdote, or a straw man.

Show me which of my posts was an anecdote.

Maybe you have me mixed up with one of the other posters.
  7. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Any post that quotes former football players or addresses personal experience playing for Polk High is anecdotal. One side of this argument was throwing these things around almost every post, infatuated by the perceived worth they seemingly had. It wasn't my side.
  8. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,587 Messages
    440 Likes Received
    Success breed confidence.

I think it was Romo who said when Dallas was pulling off comeback after comeback that the offensive players felt they could come back and win any game. It failed in Washington, but that doesn't discount the "can-do" attitude the offense had.

On defense, the failure to hold leads does the same thing. A corner, for instance, who constantly wins his battles on third down believes he is going to win every third-down battle.

When you fail to make the playoffs the way Dallas has the past two years, you certainly have a mental hurdle to overcome, but overcoming that hurdle is just a matter of building on the players' and team's successes.
  9. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

18,986 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Huh? :huh:

If your football team is making mistakes and if your coach has stressed that the team shouldn't make mistakes, then either your team is very, very dumb or it has a problem with its attitude in not focusing on details.

I don't see why this is hard to understand. :confused:
  10. tyke1doe

18,986 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Mistakes really aren't about talent. I coached community football. Clearly, the players I coach weren't as talented as those in the NFL. But our team didn't jump off sides that much, if ever.

There are basic things you should or shouldn't be able to do. Staying set until the ball is hiked is one of them. I don't know how that relates to talent. Maybe you can explain yourself.
  11. tyke1doe

18,986 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    I don't classify defensive holding as a mistake. I classify jumping offsides as a mistake or a false start as a mistake - something the Cowboys did often.
  12. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

7,701 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    So does this mean a player that wins a SB should be a better coach that a player that never won a SB...or even a coach that never played in the NFL....really great analogy there.
  13. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,666 Messages
    1,092 Likes Received
    Then why do they call a penality? :confused:
  14. tyke1doe

18,986 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    :clap: :clap: :clap:
  15. tyke1doe

18,986 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Of course, I can turn that argument around and ask, "if a mistake is a penalty, then why not call it a penalty instead of a mistake?" ;)

I'm not trying to get into a semantical war here. So let me explain what I mean.

All mistakes aren't equal. If you know when the ball is supposed to be snapped and you move before it's snapped, that's a bit different than arm-barring or grabbing a receiver (which is permissible within five yards) and getting a penalty if you hold too long.

Besides, I don't think there's a football coach out there who tells a defensive back not to touch his man. But I'm sure all football coaches tell their offensive or defensive players not to go until the ball is snapped.

So, to me, it's more egregious to have mistakes like jumping offsides when all you have to do is remember the snap count or watch the ball versus maybe holding a bit too long because you're taught hand battles as part of your defensive strategy to prevent the receiver from getting the ball.
  16. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,666 Messages
    1,092 Likes Received
    I know, bro...I was just poking your ribs!

;)
  17. tyke1doe

18,986 Messages
    429 Likes Received

I'm sorry, but did Deion, Sapp, Faulk and Woodson win the Super Bowls by themselves? :huh:

Second, who is saying talent doesn't matter? Who is separating talent from the equation?

Third, does the most talented team always win the Super Bowl? If it's just about talent, then the most talented team should win the Super Bowl each and every year. Yet, the 49ers didn't even though most considered them having better talent than the Ravens.

Attitude is very much important. I don't care if you think it's garbage. The great ones have all attested to it as being a key ingredient in winning championships. I don't need to separate attitude from talent to assert that. In fact, talent is the given, but even talent aint gonna do much without knowledge.

So let's stop separating arguments to prove some particular point.

If you have equal talent, the person with the best personality and attitude is going to win out over the person with an awful personality 10 times out of 10.

Do you dispute this?
  18. Aurican

Aurican Active Member

161 Messages
    86 Likes Received
    Funny how some choose to only see things as black or white. These are human beings we are talking about, not robots in some simulator, they obviously need an environment that brings out the best in them to perform at their peak.

Both talent and leadership/motivation are needed to be successful, they go hand in hand. To assume that someone that is talented doesn't need confidence or motivation to realize their potential is a fallacy, just as someone who has little talent is unlikely to be great due to great confidence and leadership. In this league of parity where the talent levels are so close between teams the edge will always go to the team that has the best environment conducive to winning, not the one that has a "country club" atmosphere.
  19. DABOYZ

DABOYZ Active Member

601 Messages
    62 Likes Received
    I know its hard but imagine this..Demarcus Ware with the attitude and fire of say Lawrence Taylor, Reggie White, or Ray Lewis?

He would definitley be a game changer.
  20. WV Cowboy

10,485 Messages
    876 Likes Received
    Quote one of their posts next time then.

It's really just that easy and simple.