1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

National Football Post Big Board

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Feb 10, 2012.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/scouting_department.html
    NAME POS HEIGHT
    WEIGHT
    SCHOOL GRADE

Andrew Luck
    QB 6-4 235 Stanford 9.0
    Morris Claiborne
    CB 6-0 185 Louisiana State 8.5 J
    David DeCastro
    OG 6-5 310 Stanford 8.5
    Trent Richardson
    RB 5-11 224 Alabama 8.5
    Michael Brockers
    DT 6-6 306 Louisiana State 8.0 D J
    Matt Kalil
    OT 6-7 295 Southern California 8.0 B J
    Robert Griffin III
    QB 6-2 220 Baylor 7.5 J
    Quinton Coples
    DE 6-6 285 North Carolina 7.5 C U
    Devon Still
    DT 6-5 310 Penn State 7.5 C
    Justin Blackmon
    WR 6-1 215 Oklahoma State 7.5 C
    Cordy Glenn
    OG 6-5 348 Georgia 7.5
    Alameda Ta'amu
    DT 6-3 337 Washington 7.5
    13 Kendall Wright
    WR 5-10 190 Baylor 7.5
    Orson Charles
    TE 6-3 241 Georgia 7.5
    Mark Barron
    SS 6-2 218 Alabama 7.0 T
    Dont'a Hightower
    ILB 6-4 260 Alabama 7.0 J X
    Dre Kirkpatrick
    CB 6-3 192 Alabama 7.0 J
    Luke Kuechly
    ILB 6-3 237 Boston College 7.0 J
    go to link above to see rest of the list
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,109 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    If Decastro really is the 3rd best player in the draft no way does he last until 14
  3. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    You know that we both have been told that guard is a position that shouldn't be drafted as high as 14 . The Cards and Chiefs really like him . All scouting services like him . We have been told by certain posters that everybody is wrong about him . It has been said that we can get the same quality in later rounds . Do you think this rating could change minds ?;)
  4. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,665 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    He doesn't rank them that way, he's not saying DeCastro is going to be the 3rd best. He's saying DeCastro's game is the 3rd closest, in this class, to being NFL ready.

That's why you see a RB at #4, no one is going to draft Richardson in the Top 5.
  5. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    My boy Hightower at 16, he is the best allround 3-4 SOLB in the draft
  6. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,665 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    He also has DeCastro at 3, whom you hate with the passion of a thousand suns. :laugh2:
  7. supercowboy8

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    When have I ever said I hate decastro. I never said that. Decastro is the best OG in this draft. The only thing I have ever said was if jerry signs nicks then spending a 1st on a og wouldn't be the best move when you need a starting OLB.

Also I use my mind and look at the history of the draft and play the odds. The history and odds show that the chance are far better to draft a starting OG in the 2nd or 3rd than to find a day one starting 3-4 SOLB in the 2nd or 3rd.

I wouldn't hate it we drafted decastro I just dont think it would be the best move since this defense is lacking a passrush.
  8. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,665 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    It was a joke. I actually meant to poke you about Barron being 15th, but I blew it.
  9. burmafrd

41,109 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    and most of us think protecting Romo is more important.
  10. dallasfaniac

dallasfaniac Active Member

4,197 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What's the date on this, there's a couple players missing? Stephen Hill, Jonathan Massaquoi, Bobby Massie, Terrell Manning, Janzen Jackson, Cliff Harris, Josh Robinson, etc.
  11. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I am not asking this to be disrespectfull in any way . Don't you think we all want the great pass-rusher that you do ? When will the pass rusher crowd realize that there is not an elite pass rusher in this draft ? There are some prospects that will make good players , but Spencer is a good player , he is just not a great pass rusher . The prospects in the draft this year will not be an upgrade . Why use the 14 th pick on a position that is a known weakness in this draft class ?
  12. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I agree with you. I think we can, however, find a situational pass rusher to help out in this draft, however.

Someone who can help apply pressure and generate some sacks.

I don't think that guy has to be a Round 1 pick either.

The issue with this Draft is that I don't really see any must have DL or LBs who are realisic as of today at 14. As for a guy like Coples, it doesn't seem like he'll be there at 14 regardless.

I think DeCastro would probably be the best player we could possibly land at 14. And if we trade down a few spots (like 2-4), maybe Glenn. For the time being I'm not including J Jenkins and Fitzpatrick given their off field histories. I'm curious as to how the team views Poe at NT.
  13. supercowboy8

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    There are good passbrushers in this draft. If spenc range walks why open up another hole on the defense. Any player you get in the 2nd to replace Spencer isn't going to be a upgrade. I can find an upgrade at og in the 2nd and an upgrade at olb in Upshaw, Ingram, and or Hightower.

Cowboys offense had the lead in the 4th quarter of 5 of their 8 losses with his OL. The defense gave up those wins.
    I want to upgrade this OL as much as ev ryone else but I can do that by adding Nicks and a OG in the 2nd.
  14. burmafrd

41,109 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    I just do not see any of them- not Ingram, Upshaw, Coples; NONE of them really look like they would be any more of a pass rusher then Spencer. His numbers in college are about where theres were.
  15. supercowboy8

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    way to look at college stats and judge a player.

There has been a ton of players put up great stats in college to do nothing in the NFL.

I have watched each of them play and all three are big upgrades over Spencer.

You draft a OG in the first to replace Koiser, great I'm all for it then you draft a CB in the 2nd to replace Newman, great all for it, but who replaces Spencer? Your not going to find a 2nd or 3rd round pick to do that. I hope your not relying on Butler.

I can find a replacement for Spencer in the first at 14 or trading back and getting hightower. I ca also get a replacement for Newman in the 2nd and a replacement for Koiser in the 2nd.

Konz and Jones are the only ones I want to draft to replace Costa but I think Jones go mid 2nd to early 3rd and Dallas will miss out on him.
    Sign Nicks and get a 2nd round OG, then you have Killer, Arkin, and Nagy all who played Center in college to compete for the starting Center spot.

I will say this all year. The defense is the reason this team didn't make the playoffs Romo put up amazing stats this year behind this OL, This defense gave up 5 fourth quarter leads. Our defense holds just three of those and we are 11-5 if not better since the Eagles and Giants would have been done and had nothing to play for those last two games.

3 of the final 4 teams this year had a great defense. SF, NYG, and Baltimore. I want a great defense while still spending one draft pick on the OL and signing Nicks. I just don't think it makes alot of sense to spend the 14th pick in the draft on a OG, when OG is the 2nd deepest position for depth in this draft.

After the first round you chances of finding a first day true 3-4 OLB goes way down.

Don't take this as I hate DeCastro because I don't. I love DeCastro and I wish we didn't have so many needs or if the OG position was so deep this year. If our defense was great and only needed a CB or a safety then I would be on here saying get DeCastro and trade up for Konz. When our defense was playing well I posted a thread saying get Konz and Zeitler round 1 and 2, but our defense went gawd awful and needs a true rebuild.
  16. Tex

Tex Active Member

553 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    I find that very hard to swallow when you see a project like Brockers at number 5. Thats based only on potential. His current game is far from the 5'th closest in this class.

Cowboy
  17. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I see some value with some prospects in the second when it comes to pass rushers . Guys that will be good and can improve with some time . There is a thin line , a very thin line , between these prospects and the ones being mentioned as mid to late first rounders . Who do you see as being a sure , elite pass rusher worth the 14th pick ?
    I see a couple of these mid to late first rounders that has the same type of game as Spencer . Good against the run , but average when it comes to pass rushing .
    Have you thought about the losses that you mentioned could have been avoided if the oline could have run the ball and ran out the clock ? This line could not do it , so it put the pressure on the defense . To the point of finding starting olinemen later , the same can be said of any position .
    I would like for you to consider a couple of points . This is not a draft with an elite pass rusher . That is not just my opinion , but the facts according to many , many scouting sevices . Guard and CB are the strong positions of this draft . These two positions just happen to be positions of need . I would rather fill the first four picks with the two positions that have the most talent . There are too many holes on this team to fix in 9one year .I suggest that the guard and CB position be taken care of this year and then address the pass rusher when an actual elite one is available to draft . Had you rather use a pick this year that will produce little more than Spencer , or wait a year and dratt a prospect with elite talent ? I would rather wait and build the team from a long term prospective . I am enjoying this discussion .
  18. supercowboy8

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    I like Barron, he is an amazing player, I just don't like him for Dallas. I don't think he fits Ryan's scheme and would be a bust for Dallas. Put Barron on a team like Indy, Tampa, Titans, Oakland, Bengals, or the Browns and you have a great one day pro bowler.

Look at Reggie Nelson or Donte Whitner. Both considered bust until they went to a team that they fit the scheme. Now they both have had good years last year because they fit the scheme when the teams that drafted them asked them to do things they just couldn't do. Thats what will happen to Barron in Dallas. He can't cover the faster TEs in the NFL, or cover deep. He is a true in the box SS, who plays under zone reading the QB and jumping routes for INTs.
    Ryan ask his safties to play mid and the other deep roam. Usually his SS plays man cover off the TE or inside WR as the FS plays back roaming zone cover that has the speed to come up and play the run.
  19. burmafrd

41,109 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Our O line needs a serious upgrade if Romo is going to be around for the playoffs. You spout statistics but guess what? Romo will be a statistic without serious change on the O line.

As regards your pet pass rushers I have watched Upshaw, Ingram and Coples in games and they do not impress me at all. Frankly they look about what SPencer looked like in College. Their production was about the same as his. Now IF they show a decided edge in quickness and speed and agility over Spencer that is another story. But I doubt they will.
  20. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Burm , I'm on your side .