1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

New Jersey boy not allowed back to school without flu shot

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by JBond, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Spock wasn't a man, he was Klingon. And it was fiction so there ya go.
  2. JIMMYBUFFETT

JIMMYBUFFETT Skinwalker

1,186 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Spock was a Vulcan/Human mix, not Klingon. Come on Cajun, get your 70's Sci-Fi facts correct.
  3. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Thank you for setting him straight, Devo John Wayne. :D
  4. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Argh. And that genre meant so much to me as well. :D
  5. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    From each according to his ability, to each according to his need;)

get with the program greedy capitalist.

Not sure how the thread got this far off track, but I thought I would throw it out there. I miss the old forum.
  6. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,523 Messages
    2,211 Likes Received
    I wasn't trying to imply that you didn't have a clue, it was just the most concise way I could reply it the post. I apologize if that came off wrong. Our back and forth has been a good discussion and I didn't meant to imply anything by it, just point out to Cajun I had addressed that question.

But, to answer you next question.

Because like most mutations, it usually takes a conglomerate of single genetic changes to produce an observable change. A single change in the genetic sequence might not do anything or it could do something. I don't think the idea is that the virus instantly changes from person-to-person. The actual genetic code of the virus may change but the resultant changes in the organism itself could be nothing. Just given enough replication and time within the population, the odds of a new strain arising are increased.

You take the shot because they can predict to a certain extent what strains will be present. I don't know how they do it. I know they collect data from around the world all throughout the year but that's about it.

When you guess right, you protect against that strain.

I don't think the process of change is so fast that it makes the shot irrelevant. Most shots are given prior to peak flu season based on the predicted strains thereby reducing spread from the onset and duration of the "flu season" itself.
  7. Hoofbite

32,523 Messages
    2,211 Likes Received
    I don't see why it matters whether or not an unforeseen strain is covered in terms of covering what you can. You give flu shots in the first place to cover against the one's you can predict. Why wouldn't you do the same in a situation in which an unpredicted strain arises? There are multiple strains each year.

Posted earlier.

The issue isn't about whether or not one kid who isn't vaccinated gives another who is vaccinated a strain that is covered.

It's about the covered strain getting passed around for a long enough period of time and replicating enough that the cumulative changes alter the virus into one that isn't covered.
  8. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,698 Messages
    2,048 Likes Received
    31 years for me....no shot, no flu.

It's big business though.

Please don't get me started on the zillion other shots they pump (or try to pump) own little kid with these day.

Big Oil = angels compared to Big Pharma.
  9. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,564 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Well that's interesting. I didn't know all of that so thanks. That's actually pretty cool.

I'm not completely opposed to anyone taking it so I hope I didn't come off that way. I certainly think there are people who should take them. I just don't think there's a reason for me to take one or a parent to make their kids if they can properly care for the kid. I question if the risks of not getting it becuse you got the shot are that much better than the risk of you getting it without the shot, amongst the average citizen--no outliers.
  10. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Pharma companies funnel millions into R&D, they have to recoup that and yes it is and should be a concern. You'd be amazed at how much a company will spend in simple advertising for an antacid, think about it when it comes to more expensive pharmaceuticals.
  11. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,542 Messages
    1,513 Likes Received
    That same great man also once said:

"You know, for a long time I have been of the opinion that artists don't necessarily know what they're doing. You don`t necessarily know what kind of universal concept you're tapping into."

~Leonard Nimoy~
  12. Aussie Cowboy

Aussie Cowboy Member

93 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Thank you for your reply I could not agree more, as the father of an autistic 4 y.o boy that may or may not have been vaccine affected this is a very sensitive issue and for those without any skin in the game, well they should just butt out in my view, all due respect.

Posted from Cowboyszone.com App for Android
  13. Hoofbite

32,523 Messages
    2,211 Likes Received
    I've read the cost it takes to develop a single drug from a pool of candidates is like 800M - 1B.
  14. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I my son is autistic as well and he didn't show signs of it until after he was his vaccination. We didn't draw any connection to it until years later after some reports. We don't blame that but we still don't know.
  15. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,698 Messages
    2,048 Likes Received
    The US does not test people or kids for possible side affects to immunizations and vaccines.

My In-laws have a close freind who moved here 25 years ago from Israel. They had two daughters who were fairly young (I think maybe 3rd or 4th grade range) who got the full immunization suite. One of the daughters got almost fatally ill from it...and it was confirmed that she had massive side effects from the shots. She has been ill with various blood disorders and organ issues for 25 years now. She's a smart and lovely girl but she is currently on her death bed.
    Brutal stuff.
  16. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,493 Messages
    978 Likes Received
    Captain Kirk even called him on that BS in the next move,"Because the needs of the one... outweigh the needs of the many.":p:
  17. KLJ

KLJ Member

251 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    :lmao2: vaccination dicussions are always a hoot.

i always picture people sitting in front of their computers with tinfoil on their heads.
  18. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    How many children do you have?
  19. KLJ

KLJ Member

251 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    6.. why does it matter?
  20. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    It should. Unless you are the type of parent that thinks the government knows what's best for your kids more than you do.