1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

New Mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by tm1119, Dec 10, 2012.

1. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,025 Messages
    628 Likes Received
    Trade back 6-10 spots and pick up an extra 3rd....

1st Round- Jonathan Cooper OG North Carolina- Its clear that the o-line is a problem and Jerry has to stop being stubborn and address it. Cooper is an extremely gifted athlete for a man of his size and fits our scheme nicely. Immediate day 1 stater at RG.

2nd Round- Kawann Short Purdue- With Brent out of the picture and Ratliff becoming more and more of a ? the D-line is also a pretty big problem. Short is big at 6'3 315 and surprisingly athletic. Has made a ton of plays in the backfield at Purdue with a good amount of sacks for a DT. A good value in the middle of the 2nd round because of the good depth of DT in this draft class.

3rd Round- Robert Lester S Alabama- I don't like the depth at all at the safety position and Barry Church is no sure thing to be a good stater. We flat out need more talent at the position. Lester has been making plays on the best defense in college football for 3 straight years. He may not be the flashiest player ever, but he gets the job done more times than not.

3rd Round- Cornellius "Tank" Carradine OLB FSU- With an extra 3rd rounder Jerry takes a chance on an injured athlete as usual. Tank got a chance to start when Jenkins went down and responded with 11 sacks and 13 TFL in 12 games. Probably would have been an early 2nd rounder without the injury but Jerry loves the value pick with injured players in the mid rounds.

4th Round- Brian Winter OT Kent State- Free and Parnell stink and theres no one else. I hope we sign an established FA, but I would still like to get some young talent in here at the position. Winters was dominant, but against lesser MAC competition. Some questions whether he can stand up against top talent, but I think hes a pretty good RT prospect in the NFL.

5th Round- Josh Boyd DT Miss St- More bodies for what I expect (and hope) to be a depleted D-line. Had a stand out year last year with Fletcher Cox next to him, but hasnt been quite as good this year. The obvious question is whether or not Cox made him look good or he's just struggling because he's receiving more double teams. Either way he has the size and talent to make a good rotational player for us.

6th Round- Montel Harris RB Temple- All time leading rusher at Boston College who transferred to Temple for 1 year because of behavior issues. Has above average size at 5'9 205 and has flat out produced in college. 4,700 yards and 40 TD's in 4 years of playing. I've seen a good amount of him at Temple this year and he's a good 1 cut zone running type of back. Can also catch and block pretty well. Probably a late 4th/early 5th round guy if he had stayed at BC with no problems, but I like him as a reserve back with our last pick.
  2. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,302 Messages
    294 Likes Received
    Like your first two picks but Short is not a NT. In a 3-4 he is a DE. I would still be happy to take him in the 2nd.
  3. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,025 Messages
    628 Likes Received
    Yes, Short would definitely be primarily DE for us. To put him at NT would be a waste of his athleticism. Unfortunately for us I really don't see a very good NT outside of the 1st round. Jessie Williams could slip into the 2nd but I doubt he would make it all the way to us. McCullers is an option I guess, but he seems to be just size and no actual football skill.
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,392 Messages
    1,261 Likes Received
    You really think they could get an extra 3rd for 6-10 spots? Draft picks are at a premium now because they dont cost anything to sign. Looks like worst case they draft 14-17.
  5. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,200 Messages
    12 Likes Received

I really like Short. Physical, big bodied guy that uses his hands really. Put him at the right end spot next to Ware and on the nickel shift into the DT and push the pocket as well as penetrate.

He tends to play a little high, especially when he gets tired. But with a conditioning program and the move to end where he does not have to fight constant double teams, he might not get worn down.

What I really like about him is that he plays with his hands and not let the OL get into his body. He slips off blocks, reminds me of a Warren Sapp.
  6. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    If he isn't conditioned in college, what makes you think he will be once he's making millions of dollars?
  7. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,381 Messages
    161 Likes Received

That's what she said.
  8. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,296 Messages
    4,837 Likes Received
    Players with legit work-ethic issues would be off my list. Especially, in the top 2 rounds.
  9. supercowboy8

5,302 Messages
    294 Likes Received
    Then you will like one of my sleepers. Brendon Williams DT from Missouri southern state. Big 6-2 325 and can move and gas great work ethic. Watch his video on YouTube about his ethic
  10. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,296 Messages
    4,837 Likes Received
  11. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,057 Messages
    286 Likes Received
    Right now we'd pick between 17-21. Best case scenario, we trade back exactly 6 spots from 17 and we get Cooper at 23. Anything past 25, and it's likely we lose out on him.
  12. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I'm on board.

68 tackles (31 solo, 37 assists) 16.5 TFL, 8.5 sacks, 5 forced fumbles
  13. supercowboy8

5,302 Messages
    294 Likes Received
  14. supercowboy8

5,302 Messages
    294 Likes Received
    I dont know if he is day one ready starter but I think with his work ethic he will be a very good starter. I stil want to see Jerry go out and sign Knighton and draft brandon Williams
  15. supercowboy8

5,302 Messages
    294 Likes Received
    As a guy from Nashville and a UT martin alum, I also really like Montori Hughes
  16. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,025 Messages
    628 Likes Received
    I think the talk of Short being lazy/work ethic issues are over blown. He faces a lot of doubles on a weak Purdue defense. I think given the ability to play in a little more space with some talent around him he will look a lot better.