1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

New Tattoo Barbie

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Wimbo, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    New York City Parents Find Nothing Stylish About New Tattooed ‘Barbie’ Doll
    Body Ink All Over 'Tokidoki' Seen As Sending A Very Bad Message To Children

October 20, 2011 11:30 PM

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The newest Barbie doll to hit store shelves is sparking controversy.
    The doll sports several tattoos, and some parents say it’s sending the wrong message to their kids, reports CBS 2’s Kathryn Brown.
    Meet “Tokidoki Barbie,” the newest addition to the iconic doll collection.
    She’s edgy — with pink hair, sky-high stilettos and a cactus-covered pet named “Bastardino.”
    But it’s her body art that has some parents on edge.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/10...thing-stylish-about-new-tattooed-barbie-doll/

~~~

As as father of a 9 year old girl, I find this disturbing. My 9 year old received a catalog in the mail featuring this doll. I don't have a major problem with tattoo's on adults, but I don't know if i am ready for my daughter to start thinking tattoo's are this mainstream. I threw the catalog away before she saw it. So, am I an over-protective dad, or is the marketing of body art to pre-teen girls acceptable now?
  2. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,076 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    I'm not a dad, but I think just voting with your dollars is better than raising a stink like some parents have. Don't want your kid to have it? Don't buy it for 'em.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    Tramp stamp Barbie? OK
  4. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,151 Messages
    1,412 Likes Received
    Our poor children, .. all of this type of trash being splashed in their face over and over on a daily basis.

How can they just grow up normal, and then deal with all of this garbage when they are adults?

Some will laugh and say it's not that big of a deal.

But it just keeps getting worse and worse. I am concerned about what our kids will have to filter through 5, 10, 20 years from now.
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    I agree I think it is irresponsible for the adults who produce this, promote this and selling it.

I also agree with Heisenberg the parent should not buy it
  6. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    When did tattoos all of a sudden become mainstream in America?

I myself don't have any, and I prefer that women don't have any if I'm to be interested...but it's as if every single person has one now. I've met women who are lawyers, doctors, nurses, etc. that have tramp stamps, tattoos on their feet, etc...

Am I part of a dying breed? Either that, or I'll be "in" when the tattoo fad dies out :laugh1:
  7. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,684 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    Good post WV. I agree.
  8. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,684 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    It really looks nasty when they get older and the tattoos get saggy. :puke:
  9. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Tattoos have been pretty mainstream for a couple years, especially on the west coast. It's a sign of the times. Things once taboo eventually become ok. Someone has stated it, and it's true, just think what will be ok in 30 years. YIKES!
  10. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    Onions on hamburgers?

:)
  11. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,144 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    It's funny how reading the article clears up a bunch of misconceptions:

Tokidoki is considered a “collectible” and retails for $50 — much more expensive than basic Barbie dolls. Mattel said the doll is marketed more toward adult collectors than to children. Tokidoki is a limited edition doll — named after the fashion line of the same name. It is sold only on Barbie collector’s website.
    You will not find this in any toy store,” said Jim Silver, Editor-In-Chief of TimeToPlayMag.com.

Silver said Tokidoki is just the latest in a long line of high-fashion collector items meant for adults, not kids.
  12. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,012 Messages
    7,760 Likes Received
    Is Tattoo Barbie any more poisonous to a little girl than a regular old Barbie? Their both dangerous things to set up as images of adulthood to aspire to. I don't think regular Barbie is even physiologically capable on standing up on her own, is she? She's like the bumblebee where science doesn't understand how it can fly.
  13. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

4,133 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    That is not true. As I said in the OP, my daughter received a Barbie catalog in the mail with this as the featured item.
  14. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,957 Messages
    1,537 Likes Received
    Didn't they change her dimensions and figure several years ago?
  15. Idgit

32,012 Messages
    7,760 Likes Received
    They might have. Still, it always makes me said to watch ugly children playing with Barbie dolls. If I had daughters, I'd disfigure mine so my girls would grow up thinking they're superior.
  16. WV Cowboy

11,151 Messages
    1,412 Likes Received
    Oh please, .. certainly you're not naive enough to think that NO little girls will own these dolls, no little girls will see these dolls, play with these dolls, or be influenced by these dolls are you?

This reminds me of the garbage TV shows that come out and are on after 11:00. That's how they justify the filth.

They say, "kids won't see it, it's on after 11:00. If you don't want your kids to watch it, don't let them."

Just like some are saying about these dolls. If you don't want your girl to have it don't buy it.

But because the TV show is popular with adults, it is on at 9:00 by the 2nd or 3rd season, ... and before you know it reruns are on at 7:00 and "voila", kids are seeing it.

Why do we allow all of this crap to be splashed all over our kids?

Why can't we error on the side of trying to keep them pure for as long as we can, ... and then let them decide for themselves when they become adults.
  17. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't like them either, but my opinion doesn't matter. They are mainstream, period.

And also, this doll was marketed towards adults so I don't see why it should be a big deal. Just more lame people clamoring for attention.
  18. WV Cowboy

11,151 Messages
    1,412 Likes Received
    What ? :eek:

Just kidding , I know what you meant. That is a little crazy, but I get the point that you are trying to make.
  19. Idgit

32,012 Messages
    7,760 Likes Received
    I'm kidding, of course. I'm just saying that I don't think Mattel has the best interests of little girls at heart, anyway, with the Barbie line. It's only a question of what they think they can sell.
  20. WV Cowboy

11,151 Messages
    1,412 Likes Received
    You don't mean it's all about the money do you? ;)