1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

NFC East Draft Picks

Discussion in 'Draft Day Zone' started by Hostile, Apr 20, 2012.

1. AmishGangsta

AmishGangsta Member

710 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like RG3 better. I should have added "if Griffin doesn't work out".

Nah, I think that kid is a rare breed (Griffin).
  2. Afigueroa22

Afigueroa22 Well-Known Member

1,014 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    I like Griffin too but he looks kind of fragile. What if D.Ware rips his arm off? :)
    All joking aside I am excited for the competition in years to come.
  3. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,243 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Cousins is a 4th rounder

And do not forget what your franchise did in 1989, after taking Aikman number 1 overall, took Walsh with the 1st pick in the supplemental draft that year, which turned out to be the number 1 pick in the 1990 draft.

Cousins is hopefully a term life insurance policy that Shanny can sell in 2 years for some decent picks
  4. AmishGangsta

AmishGangsta Member

710 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well, if he gets hurt, Cousins will come in and likely do a decent job.

That was Shanahan's reason for drafting him: Depth and "in case of injury".

They like competition. They even brought in competition for Mr Haslett--ie Raheem Morris.
  5. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,895 Messages
    1,366 Likes Received

Dont forget that Dallas got very lucky that the Saints were stupid and gave up way to much for Walsh and bailed Jimmy out on really stupid decision.

Picking Walsh like that wasn't smart because it caused doubt for Aikman that Jimmy trusted him and that Aikman was really his guy.

That's been talked about many times. In fact I've read where Jimmy Johnson once told Brad Sham that he was seriously considering starting Steve Walsh and Brad told him that the Cowboys fans would run him out of town if he did. Something to that effect. I'd have to look it up where i read it again.

That wasn't the best decision on Jimmy's part but thankfully he was able to rectify it latter and basically stole from the Saints.

I don't see to many teams out there who are stupid enough to fall for deals like that anymore.
  6. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,772 Messages
    84 Likes Received
    Every F.O. believes they will be contending. but no matter how your F.O. spins it, imo this is a very controversial pick, what kind of signal does that send? you almost have an instant QB controversy on your hands...just my 2 cents.

The Colts took Luck and followed it with Fleener, a nice weapon for him, I think the Skins shouldve done something similar.
  7. AmishGangsta

AmishGangsta Member

710 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I hear you man, not really ecstatic about the move, but if the move bothers RG3 then perhaps we got the wrong guy.
  8. Yuma Cactus

Yuma Cactus Active Member

707 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    RGIII IMO is a little too worried with style both on and off the field. Watch when he throws he kinda poses and snaps his arm back. If things go bad early could be catastrophic. And like someone else wrote he looks fragile even though he measures big.

And I sure hope he is the biggest bust since Mt Rushmore.
  9. AmishGangsta

AmishGangsta Member

710 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  10. AmishGangsta

AmishGangsta Member

710 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Rg3 could be spending that time he spends picking out socks, on learning the playbook.
    We do seem to get the freaks (Riggins, Hogs, Hogettes, Portis, Fun Bunch etc..).
  11. hipfake08

hipfake08 Well-Known Member

4,443 Messages
    101 Likes Received
    Looking over the players selected.
    Washington - one great pick and the rest were - :huh:
    Giants - three solid pick on top then filled the roster types.
    Philadelphia - had quality picks the entire draft.
  12. CowboyChris

2,772 Messages
    84 Likes Received
    personally i like RG3, and think he will become a great QB, maybe even better than Luck, but i wouldnt have put him in that situation, back when jimmy johnson had Aikman we took Steve Walsh also, call it competition or whatever but it did turn out nicely for us.
  13. AmishGangsta

AmishGangsta Member

710 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just imagine if Cousins has one good preseason game, and Griffin comes out struggling in one of them. I am sure some people are going to make a big deal out of it.
  14. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

....they've set themselves up for a MESS in DC: I mean, Grossman is a damn good backup IMO: vet, pretty good but not good enough to start and they draft Cousins too? Yeah, RG3 has had injuries but the Cousins pick is mystifying to me. Of course McShay loved it: he's a know nothing IMO
  15. AmishGangsta

AmishGangsta Member

710 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That is a good problem to have. If Grossman didn't turn the ball over so much, he wouldn't be a bad qb at all. He actually does very well in medium passing game. He likely has better stats than most of the qbs we have had in DC over the years. Of course, I think most of that is the system though.
  16. AmishGangsta

AmishGangsta Member

710 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He is probably the only one that loved that move specifically. Overall, they were graded pretty well. Besides Griffin, it was not a star studded draft, but they did come away with some big uglys.
    Think I read something the other day that, Skins drafted more players in the last two years, than they have in any two years since the drafts inception. 21 picks overall.
  17. CowboyChris

2,772 Messages
    84 Likes Received
    i think its gonna come down to how Shanahan uses RG3, is he gonna build around his strengths? one thing i like about Shanny is... he does like to run the ball, and that is a QB's best friend.
  18. AmishGangsta

AmishGangsta Member

710 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Can easily see why he has success with runningbacks. Drafts late rounders and basically has them running for their careers. As soon as they want the big pay check, he trades them and drafts more.

Last year they took a lot of criticism for trading up and taking Helu (a rb who nobody wanted apparently) and then drafting Royster (a guy who was nothing special). This year they draft another RB, and he is right up their alley. 1 cut style runner, and has a knock for making tacklers miss.
  19. Califan007

Califan007 Well-Known Member

1,222 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Not making them miss but rather breaking their tackles...the guy looked like he got a ton of yardage after contact.
  20. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,243 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Cousins is a 4th rounder. A 3rd day pick. Long term development backup QB

The talk of any controversy over this is pretty absurd. RG3 is 10 times the QB Cousins, however Cousins will be a nice long term insurance policy.

After 20 years of piss poor QB play and terrible backups I am glad the team finally addressed the most important position on the field with real depth.

Hopefully this turns into a Matt Schuab/Kevin Kolb type move in 2-3 years