1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: NFL: Brandon Weeden: I tried to do too much with Browns...w/audio

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Apr 6, 2014.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

32,713 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    Brandon Weeden says he tried to do too much during his stint with the Cleveland Browns. The former first-round draft pick is grateful for the "clean slate" he has with the Dallas Cowboys.

The 2012 first-round draft pick told SiriusXM NFL Radio on Saturday that he believes the constant change in Cleveland was one factor that stymied his growth as a player.

"It wasn't an ideal situation," Weeden said of his time with the Browns. "The regime that drafted me was out a year after I got there. You never know the plans the group coming in has and I think, as a player, as much as you try not to do too much, try not to put too much pressure on yourself to perform and show you can be the guy for the long haul.

"Sometimes you get caught up in it. You try to do too much as a player and that's one thing if I could change about myself, I wouldn't try to do too much every Sunday. I think, just let the game kind of come to you and be more patient."

The quarterback believes the lessened pressure and new scenery also will be a benefit.

Continue reading...
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2014
    SilverStarCowboy likes this.
  2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,239 Messages
    7,067 Likes Received
  3. daveferr33

daveferr33 Well-Known Member

441 Messages
    578 Likes Received
    well, if he was looking for stability among the coaching ranks, I am not sure he came to the right place.
  4. DanTanna

DanTanna Original Zone Member Zone Supporter

2,263 Messages
    296 Likes Received
    Spoken like a true third stringer!

And I agree that Dallas isn't the place to come for immediate stability... Unless Jerry takes over as head coach, then we're set for the next 20 years. :(
  5. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,946 Messages
    511 Likes Received
    In the games I watched he was quite often a second late on his decision making. The announcers mentioned it too. He needed to make quicker reads and get rid of the ball sooner.
  6. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,239 Messages
    7,067 Likes Received
    Shades of Stephen McGee...
    Risen Star likes this.
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    I think Weeden has the talent but was not ready to be thrown to the wolves as he was in cleveland, changing of system did not help either. Even our HOF QB Aikman sucked his 1st 3 years in the league and there is no doubt his talent as a QB was better than Weeden.
    If Weeden can come out and have a good camp he has a chance to become a backup giving him time to learn and improve, good thing for Dallas is if it does not work out the investment is small.
    GimmeTheBall! likes this.
  8. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,775 Messages
    10,074 Likes Received
    Weeden wasn't ready? When will he be ready? When he's 40?
  9. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

4,121 Messages
    1,625 Likes Received
    So true, very "Hutch-like" aspect to his game ;) Shudders
  10. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,294 Messages
    1,245 Likes Received
    Hopefully, he'll have too little to do around here.
    SDCowboy85 and WoodysGirl like this.
  11. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    Regardless of his age coming from college to the pros dealing with the speed of the game not to mention going to a bad team and forced to start day 1 is tough. Troy took 3 years and he was a damn good QB, Weeden has the skills and the arm to be a good QB and in terms of age yes he is older but not a lot of physical ware on him much like Warner who was no spring chicken when he came into the NFL
    Mansta54 likes this.
  12. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

4,121 Messages
    1,625 Likes Received
    I think I'm ready to become a man:

[IMG]
  13. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,775 Messages
    10,074 Likes Received
    Weeden had the distinct advantage of coming into the league overaged. He should have been far more advanced than your typical rookie. To compare him to Troy Aikman is nuts.

He sucked when he got there and showed no improvement the second year. I don't know if you can blame all that on Cleveland.
    junk likes this.
  14. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,897 Messages
    2,367 Likes Received

i think you are wrong

unless the team completely tanks (ie 5-11 or 6-10) or if romo has serious health issues, this group of underachievers is here for the next 2-3 years to "build the team"

garrett is getting romo's career to "learn"
    Chris in Arizona likes this.
  15. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    BS he like any inexperianced player is going to have problem coming from college to the Pros his age does not somehow make the game slow down the comparison is not in terms of talent it is a matter of going from college to the pros and how difficult it can be even for guys with great talent such as Aikman but of course like always you take any comparision and try to twist it. Weeden has the talent that is why he was viewed at a 1st rd pick no doubt age was a reason some teams shied away from him but the talent is there.
    bsheeern, Mansta54 and casmith07 like this.
  16. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,796 Messages
    5,953 Likes Received
    I does not matter what Weeden did in the past.

It's a free look for the Cowboys. If he sucks in the preseason, then they can cut him for no cost.
  17. tantrix1969

tantrix1969 Well-Known Member

960 Messages
    447 Likes Received
    Yep, since Hoyer looked light years better with the same system I don't see how anyone can blame Cleveland
    daveferr33 and Risen Star like this.
  18. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

4,293 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    Age has nothing to do with it. He came from a lower level of competition the NCAA and I would say his foray into baseball before then ******** his mental aspect of the game. Many said it here about Henson and Hutch if you gave up football for baseball and failed at baseball why would I want you play football.
    bsheeern likes this.
  19. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    I agree. Weeden on a bigger deal I would not have liked. I see this as a no lose situational you get a look at a guy who does have some quality skills. If he fails we walk away
    Prossman likes this.
  20. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    a bit different in that when he left baseball he went to OSU and played football and did good enough to be seen as a top prospect. Hutch and Henson had not set foot on a football field after leaving college.