1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

NFL.com Kirwan: How prospects stack up from a 3-4 perspective

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Mar 17, 2007.

1. sago1

sago1 Active Member

7,789 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There's also the possibility that deOssi can play both ILB & OLB (also L/S) which adds to his value. The loss of Fowler makes us thin at LB so we need fill this position but don't forget Fowler was an undrafted FA so maybe we can fill it with similar player and not use a high pick on him--unless we really believe we need replacement for Bradie James. Currently we've got Ware, Ellis, Carpenter, Burnett & Glymph as our OLB but only Ayodele & James as inside altho Carpenter could slide in there. Also is there possibility Oliver Hoyte could be moved back to ILB from FB or was he also an OLB? We probably will add an LB at whichever position Phillips thinks is more needed or maybe even both ILB & OLB.
  2. vicjagger

vicjagger Well-Known Member

2,135 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    Here's a hint:

3. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Hard for me to take a Kirwan evaluation seriously after last year when he proclaimed that Darnell Bing would make a perfect free safety for the Dallas Cowboys. Kirwan claimed that even though Bing was seen as more a strong safety, he'd carefully studied all the USC tapes and Bing was actually better as a centerfielding free safety as a freshman.

The NFL promptly made him a linebacker.

But hey, maybe we'll take a look at that Paul "Solari" guy for nosetackle.
  4. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,032 Messages
    1,131 Likes Received
    Kirwan's an unabashed USC homer. Don't trust anything he says about USC players.
  5. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Weird. Someone pointing out a Longhorn! :eek:

There is virtually no difference between these two other than their level of experience. It's not like they're being asked to be QB.

Zak DeOssie

Combine Invite? Yes
    Height: 6045
    Weight: 250
    40 Yrd Dash: 4.58
    20 Yrd Dash: 2.66
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.56
    Wonderlic:
    225 Lb. Bench Reps: 26
    Vertical Jump: 34 1/2
    Broad Jump: 10'2"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.22
    3-Cone Drill: 6.89

Brian Robison

Combine Invite? Yes
    Height: 6031
    Weight: 259
    40 Yrd Dash: 4.67
    20 Yrd Dash: 2.65
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.49
    Wonderlic:
    225 Lb. Bench Reps: 27
    Vertical Jump: 40 1/2
    Broad Jump: 10'1"
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.26
    3-Cone Drill: 6.89

The biggest difference is that there is a possibility of getting DeOssie on day 2.

day 2/Zak DeOssie > day 1/Brian Robison
  6. gollum

gollum Member

747 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nice read...but I wasn't aware of this interesting tidbit(or opinion as it may be). I would have thought Jerry, Wade, and possibly Ireland would have more say so in running the draft process.
  7. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,032 Messages
    1,131 Likes Received
    Wow, nice catch. Pat was extremely close to Parcells, so maybe he knows something we don't, such as possibly the GM duties re: the draft being handed over to Stephen.
  8. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If the Cowboys pass on someone like Anthony Spencer at 22 then I'd personally go to Dallas and slap Jerry Jones and Wade Phillips...
  9. gollum

gollum Member

747 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Make sure you video it and post it on youtube.
  10. Big Dakota

Big Dakota New Member

11,875 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Ive always been under the impression Stephen is the Harvard educated money man. Not sure what he knows about talent evaluation, but i'd bet Ireland and Wade have forgotten more about evaluating players than SJ knows. Just a guees but maybe this reference was to who does the contracs?
  11. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,577 Messages
    2,454 Likes Received
    After watching the Phillips presser i got the impression that Jerry had aged quite a bit, face lift or not. I dont see Jerry being the ehad man in 2012 and as time goes by it just makes sense for Stephen to take on more and more responsibility.

Parcells was quoted as saying he had a tremendous amount of respect for Stephen as a football mind.