1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

NFL.Com - Tyron Smith 4th best player under 25.

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Cowboy Brian, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,915 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    I had to paraphrase the sentiment so the title wasn't ridiculous, the article is six franchise "cornerstones" under 25.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...cam-newton-robert-quinn-are-franchisebuilders

unionjack8 and casmith07 like this.
  2. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,915 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    No replies? This is awesome news to see how much respect our 23 YO LT is getting around the league.
    Fletch and casmith07 like this.
  3. BlueNSilver88

BlueNSilver88 Member

86 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    We should extend him for MANY years as soon as possible. Him and Dez.
    mugsybows likes this.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,822 Messages
    1,679 Likes Received
    I wish we had about 10 more. But we could not afford them for long sadly.

Real shame is that when you strike gold with a guy like Tyron keeping him after his first contract costs so much cap space.
  5. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,893 Messages
    1,399 Likes Received
    Maybe if you put somewhere in the title that Smith is ranked over Watt in this list more people would chime in quicker and a draft day rueage battle would ensue.

For a minute, I was kind of blown away by that, but again I have to remember this is based on 'corner stones' not on which player is better. Even still, it's kind of a travesty that Watt is behind Quinn after one great year from Quinn.
    BigStar likes this.
  6. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,852 Messages
    1,221 Likes Received
    Or that they are behind Cam Newton.
    BigStar likes this.
  7. Ntegrase96

2,893 Messages
    1,399 Likes Received
    Since it's a corner stones article, I can kind of understand that the guy is a competent QB and therefore is apparently sacred.

But yeah, he's not on the same level as Watt or Tyron with respect to his position. Neither is Luck, really, but I can see that a little better than Cam.
  8. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    If SJ miss manged the salary cap and had to cut all but one player I would hope Smith would be the one he kept. Definitely a cornerstone and when you add Fredrick and Leary to the line it's as if the Cowboys have done some really nice things to put the O line back together. I'm really surprised there aren't more threads expressing the optimism that the team could be starting the season with the best O-line it's had in 4 years and that there might finally be some continuity up front and in the running game for 014. I think we could see the Cowboys run the ball for 400+ times this year.
  9. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,139 Messages
    907 Likes Received
    If?
    Common Sense likes this.
  10. Carolina Cowboy

Carolina Cowboy Well-Known Member

712 Messages
    381 Likes Received
    Agree totally. Watch this guy flame out. Book it.
  11. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,534 Messages
    1,799 Likes Received
    Not to pick on you....but what is the point of these posts?

There really isn't a discussion to be had. He's a great player, and everyone is happy to see him getting accolades. The only directions it could go that would bring in a lot of posts are "Well why doesn't Jerry pick more great lineman" and "we can't afford to sign him b/c jerry is an idiot." Why bother? lol
    Corso likes this.
  12. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

793 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    Pertaining to the OP - Gee, I'm wondering if drafting in the top 10 of the first round had anything to do with that?

It's too bad we can't find guys like this between 15-22 where we usually draft. Of course, it would be even better if we were consistently drafting between 28-32 in the first round - and, then find guys like Tyron.
  13. Ntegrase96

2,893 Messages
    1,399 Likes Received
    Exactly! Zoners don't want to agree with one another. We want to argue with each other and prove others wrong in table pounding, chest-thumping, bravado

What is this, a hug convention!?
  14. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,534 Messages
    1,799 Likes Received
    That's not just zoners, that's people in general lol
    car351 and Ntegrase96 like this.
  15. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    come on dude I totally butchered the word mismanaged.
  16. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,139 Messages
    907 Likes Received
    I think they should switch him back to RT. He just doesn't look like a natural LT to me.
    Ntegrase96 likes this.
  17. cds99

cds99 Member

135 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Wasnt it quinn who everyone said had bad work ethics and was lazy when he declared for the draft?
  18. dbonham

dbonham Active Member

308 Messages
    211 Likes Received
    I think the cowboys are in a position to give Tyron one of the longest contracts in nfl history. If we signed him this year he could be finishing a 9 year contract at 32 years old. Even if it was backloaded, we would look pretty smart once we see the contract the top LT of 2020 gets...
  19. RonSpringsdaman20

RonSpringsdaman20 alpha seeing omega Zone Supporter

3,485 Messages
    1,381 Likes Received
    Smith is an anchor…. happy we got him… and he's only gonna get better… one of the most valuable positions in football….
    Who doesn't recognize his talents...
  20. TonyRomo17

TonyRomo17 Well-Known Member

949 Messages
    407 Likes Received
    he has a real chance to get on the thomas/peters level this upcoming season-...at age 24