1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

NFL.COM: Video of Casserly and Co. comparing Matt Kalil to Tyron Smith

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CowboysYanksLakers, Apr 15, 2012.

1. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,111 Messages
    470 Likes Received
  2. TOYSTER17

TOYSTER17 Pimpstocious and Pimpalicious

348 Messages
    6 Likes Received
  3. CowboysYanksLakers

4,111 Messages
    470 Likes Received

My bad, :laugh2:There it is..
  4. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I know I've harped on this quite a bit but last year's top 10 was so much stronger than this year's. Last year Smith goes #9 to Cowboys and some people thought he could slide a bit more. This year Kalil who everyone thinks isn't as good a player is the concensus #3.

Last year JJ Watt had to sneak up to go #11. This year a clearly inferior prospect in Cox is open being talked about as a top 10 buy.

This is a weak draft at the top and we shouldn't be lulled into thinking we should take a guy up here because we lucked out to get into the top half of the draft on a 8-8 year. Rather, we need to recognize this draft for what it is - this at the top but deep in the 2nd to 4th rounds. It is not only deep but it is deep where we have needs at OG, 3-4 OLB and CB. Look at past drafts - there usually aren't this many highly rated rush OLBs hanging around the 2nd round. This is a deep, deep draft. We can't be blindsided by going for a guy because he is more certain to help us next year - that is not what the draft is principally for.

This team definitely needs a partial re-build. We look okay because we have a top QB, a top CB, a top pass rusher and a top OT, great WRs, great TE and great RBs. However, this team is weak in the trenches overall on both sides and has to be rebuilt if we want to compete. FA has just shown us we can't get there by buying good talent - it is expensive by the time if hits FA or is mostly used up. This is not a good way to build up large chunks of your team.

We need to trade down and fill in the core of this doughnut of a team that Jerry has built. We need to trade down to get the players to fill up that hole Jerry has created on this roster. DeCastro, Barron and Gilmore are not impact players - we can trade down and get very similar players while filling some holes if we play our cards right. Getting those holes filled will give us a chance to beat the Eagles and Giants who whipped us 3/4 games with one close loss. We aren't good enough to compete with the best - we have to get much, much stronger and deeper.
  5. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,356 Messages
    762 Likes Received
    if you think there are many people who think Smith is a better prospect than Kalil then you have another thing coming..
  6. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Smith is younger.

Smith started ahead of Kalil at USC even though Smith was younger - so the USC coaches thought the younger Smith was ready to play sooner.

Smith is physically far superior to Kalil - there is a chasm between the two of them.

I actually don't even think it is really close between the two but you are welcome to think otherwise. It'll be interesting to follow their careers as they both came from the same program and play that position and will both be drafted in the top 10. I think we got the better player.

Let's put it another way - would you trade Smith straight up for Kalil?
  7. GloryDaysRBack

9,356 Messages
    762 Likes Received
    im not suggesting Kalil will have a better career...i think its pretty clear just about every dratnik ranks Kalil as the better prospect..

Smith also played RT while Kalil played LT
  8. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Oh I see.

But are they rating Kalil better or is it a weaker draft pushing him that much higher up the board - that was my point. Last year's draft was much, much better at the top. I think there are 8 Pro Bowlers in the future out of the first 11 picks (Newton, Miller, Dareus, Tyron, JJWatt, Aldon Smith, AJ Green, Patrick Peterson) and that's pretty incredible. The only non-Pro Bowlers are the two QBs who everyone knew were reaches to some extent (esp. Locker).

But then look at the guys who went next: Fairley (drug problems), Quinn, Pouncey, Solder and Kerrigan - all highly talented lineman types.

That draft was stacked at the top.
  9. GloryDaysRBack

9,356 Messages
    762 Likes Received
    Luck, RG3, Richardson are all better than those guys from last year..

Claiborne is probably better than Peterson too..not as physically gifted but a better cover man..

AJ Green and Jones >>>>> Blackmon
  10. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I think Claiborne is way overrated and is just a good corner in an average draft. Peterson went so high because he is a true physical freak - just look at how much trouble people had tackling him on those punt returns. I have never seen anything like that at the NFL level - not even Deion could run like that because he didn't have power like that.

I agree about the two QBs being up there at the top.

Richardson is better than any RB in last year's draft but it is valued the same as OGs which means great players routinely fall at that position now. So it really doesn't make much difference to have a non-impact position that high in the draft.
  11. GloryDaysRBack

9,356 Messages
    762 Likes Received
    exactly..if smith was thought of so highly, he would have gone well before 9..he was not considered by anybody an elite prospect..luckily for us, looks like we got an absolute steal...
  12. CowboysYanksLakers

4,111 Messages
    470 Likes Received
    I personally prefer Smith, he plays with a certain nastiness I like in my linemen.
  13. mensaone

mensaone Benched

50 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think Kalil plays with plenty nastiness

the Vikes should be glad he will be there for the taking
  14. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,499 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    So what would you do if Richardson was there at 14?