1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: NFL dismisses mistakes from replacement officials (Cowboys-Chargers game discussed)

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by munkee, Aug 20, 2012.

1. munkee

munkee Member

342 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    There’s nothing to see here. Keep moving. No cause for concern.

That’s what the National Football League essentially is saying as it tries to hold together, with duct tape and dried-up glue, a collection of third-tier-and-worse replacement officials who have struggled at times through two weeks of preseason games.

And it’s much more than bad calls in the heat of the moment. It’s a troubling inability to know what to do, quickly and correctly, after the whistle blows.

NFL V.P. of operations Ray Anderson tells Jarrett Bell of USA Today that the mistakes are being magnified because they are being committed by the folks replacing the locked-out officials.

“Unfortunately, those [errors] have happened with our regular officials,” Anderson said, specifically in reference to a particularly egregious error from Saturday night’s Cowboys-Chargers game (more on that later). “We need better communication between the officials on the field, the NFL observer in the booth and the replay official, to avoid that.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/20/nfl-dismisses-mistakes-from-replacement-officials/
  2. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,559 Likes Received
    NFL officials are bad.

These replacements are worse.

Each week replacements are running the games the NFL loses credibility.
  3. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,604 Messages
    2,484 Likes Received
    Could not agree more.
  4. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

4,416 Messages
    1,798 Likes Received
    I would disagree with NFL officials are bad. I think they're by far the best officials in all of professional sports.
  5. djmajestik

djmajestik Member

965 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    EXACTLY!!!
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,855 Messages
    1,697 Likes Received
    yes they are bad.

biased and love to get time on TV.

Frankly give these guys some time and they would be just as good as the regulars are now.

remember these subs are guys from like Division 2
  7. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    What do people expect the NFL to say? They are not going to come out and admit that the replacements suck. If they did, it would relay the message that the NFL doesn't have quality options other than the regular refs.
  8. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I think everyone is having the "good ole days" syndrome......the regular refs are atrocious ..the temps are just worse, in time they will learn to be atrocious as well
  9. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It has not bothered me because to me the calls have looked about the same I come to expect except we do not have Ed flexing his arms for us during a call.
  10. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    I think theres a difference.

Whereas before there would be a couple instances per game where you might think a call is bad, there is now at least one instance every game where a call is made that makes absolutely no sense.

The NFL had part timers with no reasonable plan B.

Awesome job guys.
  11. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,482 Messages
    342 Likes Received
    I'm not sure why it isn't all automated by now with computers analyzing the plays and ruling appropriately. Eventually the digital face will even appear on the scoreboard to explain rulings. Who needs refs? Turn it all over to computers, intellimetrics, and logarhythems. :D
  12. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,403 Messages
    536 Likes Received
    That's part face-saving, and part negotiating. Admitting the replacement refs are doing a horrible job would give the real refs leverage (they've got it anyway, we all can see the replacements aren't up to the job.)

I hope the NFL comes to their senses and gets it that the quality of their product is on the line here.
  13. Cowboy Junkie

Cowboy Junkie leonargized

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree these officials are not that good and the NFL officials that are not there are very good :however I do not blame the owners for taking a stand. they want too much and the NFL has offered them a very generous package